House Price Crash Forum

What The Feck Is Going On...

PopGun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw Oasis at Heaton Park on the Saturday. They absolutely rocked. 3 Guitars, a drummer and a front man. That for me is music.

I really like Oasis on CD, but I saw them at Wembley Stadium a few weeks ago and they sucked big time. They were boring.

Got to see AC/DC there 2 weeks prior to Oasis and AC/DC were amazing.

I think it is the other way round, there was serious amounts of dross in the 60s, and 70s that's not worth listening to/hard to listen to/annoying, lots of newer music is actually rather good and more complicated...

People have different tastes... for example I don't understand how anyone can listen to rock, its just random bashing crashing and screaming, totally pointless

You'd probably like Melodic Rock such as Def Leppard (the slower stuff), Rush etc. No screaming there, though with Rush, Geddy Lee's voice was quite high in the 70s.

I think technology has "democratised" music - possibly for the better rather than for the worse. 20, 30 or 40 years ago, people had little choice, if they wanted to get their stuff out there; they had to seek out a record deal as the production and distribution of their music was prohibitively expensive. With the internet, this has meant that anyone can produce anything they want...Some might argue that a lot of shite gets made, which is true, but a lot of good stuff is made as well.

Yes, the tumbling cost of recording gear has meant that a laptop, an audio interface and a few reasonable condenser mics will do they job of a £20 project studio of 15 years ago.

It's the same with film making. Final Cut and semi-pro HD cameras mean ultra low-budget productions can potentially look professional and polished.

But has any of that meant an explosion of new talent bursting into the scene with amazing stuff that would have otherwise gone begging? Beyond a handful of exceptions, not at all.

I think it is the other way round, there was serious amounts of dross in the 60s, and 70s that's not worth listening to/hard to listen to/annoying, lots of newer music is actually rather good and more complicated...

People have different tastes... for example I don't understand how anyone can listen to rock, its just random bashing crashing and screaming, totally pointless

I think the reason we think older music is better is that the decades have weeded out the dross so all you ever hear is the 1-2% of great music. The modern stuff on Radio 1 is often [email protected] but the great thing is give it 10 years and the [email protected] will never be heard again.

Lily Allen may take up the offer of sodomy if is helps her get excited in bed - according to her latest single. :o

Get you! Proper culture vulture

:lol: I just reread my post, must of come accross in an unintended tw4ttish manner.

Good calls by eight! The White Lies do have a familiar sound to them but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Used to like Massive Attack as well, but were never the same once Tricky left.

Archived