House Price Crash Forum

What The Feck Is Going On...

PopGun

Here's an article about Kanye West that sums up popular music at the moment. Marketing has taken over the charts.

http://thequietus.com/articles/00104-black...-sensitive-soul

This quote is especially true:

And then it’s back on the tube and I can tell I haven’t taken my medication because all I can see is advertising. Labels, brands, markings, symbols, trade marks. Rows of posters, ambient ads spilling out of mags, free papers, tracksuit symbols, nightclub fliers. All of it like a tight band around my forhead. All of it sh1t.

There are some excellent bands out there...at the moment, one of my favorites is iLiKETRAiNS (oo, and Beirut are great as well)...they come from the same area of Leeds as the Kaiser Chiers, whom I truly hate. There are also great little festivals. I regularly go to All Tomorrow's Parties in Minehead.. You get a bed and a load of great bands play for 2 and a half days.

If I have kids, they will banned from liking the likes of High School Musical. As soon they are born, on goes a bit of At The Drive-In.

Thanks for the link. Not only was it quite good but I rediscovered the irreverent genius of Swells.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no question of the UK's amazing contribution to the music scene since the 60s and through the decades to varying degrees, however, I would agree with the OP that that probably over the last 10 years or so, British music and edginess has lost its way - maybe because youth has lost its way.

There really doesn't seem to be a lot to get excited about. A lot is to do with music being more about marketing and business than innovation and challenging the accepted.

There was a time when music was the main topic of conversation in the school yard, I can't imagine that being the case now.

Anyone who lived through the 60s is very lucky, much of the 70s and the early 80s were a good times too, with a brief excitement around the time of Brit Pop which interestingly marks the new false dawn of the current regime.

Edit typo

For pure pop, I can't really decide what decade was better; either the 60's or the 80's, although two completely contrasting styles (Guitur vs Keyboard & Sampler). One one hand, you have the bands like the Beatles & The Beach Boys vs The Pet Shop Boys & OMD..they take totally different angles, but ultimately produce excellent, catchy pop tracks.

As for Status Quo, they've only ever done one song that I've ever liked.."The Pictures of Matchstick Men" is utter genius, even if you can pick it up and play in about two minutes. For me, it's up there with Pink Floyd et al. Def Leopard, Guns & Roses & Bon Jovi and such like always bring me back to Spinal Tap & Saxon...I can't really take them seriously, and after you've heard "Living on a Prayer" for the 50th time in some destitute nightclub, you tend to loath it.

Why are festivals full of OAP or 'old geezer' acts nowadays - I suppose because they can play a bit - Bruce Springsteen, Quo, Tom Jones, Neil Young, the Specials, Blur, Oasis, f**king hell they have got to be better than THE ENEMY :P:lol: a third rate Jam tribute band with no original ideas.

What kind of artists do you consider 'not dire' and where do they come from?

I said pop music, and specifically meant the pop genre.

Most of the artists you mention don't really come into that category.. and if they do they're the exception that proves the rule.

In general, in between the few rare weeks where a deserving band like Oasis/ Blur end up getting a number 1, the 90's was filled with some absolute random dross hitting number 1... same with the 70's, and much of the 80's. The 70's especially has a ton of absolutely amazing synth music that people tend to forget about simply because a lot of the popular stuff at the time was pretty bad.

Speaking as someone in their 20's, the trick to enjoying Bon Jovi and other over-the-top power rock is to treat it as comedy entertainment rather than music... stuff like eye of the tiger, final countdown, all of queen etc. is great not for it's musical content but it's cheese factor. It's the reason why Lordi won eurovision a few years ago, and

is gaining popularity.. we love that kind of stuff.

Rant over as I'm starting to sound like my Dad.

My dad thinks he's hip and happening because he recently bought a CD by ... The Feeling. :lol:

British mainstream music is dead and buried. The charts have been an irrelevance for a long time, but ever since they started taking into account online downloads when compiling the charts most of the stuff in the top 10 is downloaded by spotty teenagers in their bedrooms.

There is still good music out there, but you have to search for it. Ignore the charts and mainstream media - find stuff you like and then use sites like Amazon or AllMusic to find similar artists. With a bit of exploration you can find something to suit your taste.

I said pop music, and specifically meant the pop genre.

Most of the artists you mention don't really come into that category.. and if they do they're the exception that proves the rule.

hmmmmmm, pretty sure the vast majority of that (tiny and a million miles away from being comprehensive) list fit most peoples definition of pop music; which do you think don't?

For some context what bands / artists do you consider 'good' pop music and where are they from?

tbh I think you're really going to have to go some to provide a compelling argument that UK pop music has always been dire, unless you're of the opinion that all Pop music has been pretty much dire in which case I'm not sure why you'd bother singling out the UK.

Speaking as someone in their 20's, the trick to enjoying Bon Jovi and other over-the-top power rock is to treat it as comedy entertainment rather than music.

Ah, explains everything.

Pop music in the UK during the 70s, 80s and 90s was fantastic and the best in the world in my opinion.

Guest theboltonfury

I saw Oasis at Heaton Park on the Saturday. They absolutely rocked. 3 Guitars, a drummer and a front man. That for me is music.

I saw Oasis at Heaton Park on the Saturday. They absolutely rocked. 3 Guitars, a drummer and a front man. That for me is music.

I grew out of Oasis ten years ago. For a live act, you can't beat Muse, and I recommend their HAARP dvd. I used to like Portishead in the ninties but their last effort was...erm dissappointing to say the least. The White Lies show promise, and I hope they don't join the growing list of one album wonders.

Supergrass are still going, and Blur are reforming. The Good The Bad and the Queen are enjoyably different.

British Pop Music has been long dead...pretty much since The Spice Girls came on the scene in the 90's paving the way for Girl/Boy and Girl and Boy "Bands" everywhere who have no discernible talent whatsover but cater for children who are too young to know Sh1t from Clay and who can get their parents to buy their "Music" for them...It started out even earlier with that other Fvckin' Parasite Pete Waterman and his cohorts back in the 80's with Kylie, Jason, Sonia and all those other Airhead Fvkcwits who couldn't sing, (no, Kylie really can't) but who look the picture of Health, Youth and possess a certain prepubescent Sexual Attractiveness.

I mean, OK, there have always been Girl and Boy Bands, (think The Supremes and The Monkees) but these older Acts could actually sing...OK, you know that they're gonna split up and the fittest one will try to forge a Solo Career which could very well nosedive, thus opening up a career in Reality TV, (Diana Ross being the exception to the rule but she DID sleep her way to fame) but when Spector was formulating these Acts they were always secondary to his Music and Production.

This is the main difference, the nation needs young Role Models and who better to provide them than some Fat 40-something G0bSh1te with no taste in Music, Clothes or anything else remotely Artistic, but has an unquenchable desire to make money by devaluing the truest form of Art in the World whilst exploiting the individuals involved just like disposable razor blades.

As for the likes of Lily Allen, Amy Wino and all those other so-called "Indie-Pop" Acts, they're just the Industry's way of trying to mislead the record-buying Public into believing that they are NOT Manufactured Acts but are Home Grown Talent that just happened to go to The Italia Conti Stage School or some other breeding ground for Privileged Kids who have famous parents and "Want To Famous".

Amy Wino just happens to sound a lot like someone who died years ago, so there's already a market and demand for that kind of Act whether she's singing about Rehab or The Yellow Pages, so it's a safe bet from the Industry's point of view, plus she makes more headlines for being a Middle-Class Jewish SmackHead than for her Artistic Merits so it goes to show how much Artistic weight she lacks. Lily Allen just looks like a Moo Cow with a fringe, but she wears a dress with trainers so must be a rebel!

As for RnB, this Genre has changed so much over the past 20 years that it's now unrecogniseable as an Artform and is now known basically as "Money Music", peddled by the likes of P-Diddy, (talentless Black version of Simon Cowell, who is also talentless) and various other G0b$h1tes devoid of any Musical integrity but who have a long production line of Beautiful, Youthful Dummies who can cater for the narrowminded masses. Justin Timberlake is a Songwriters Wet Dream as he continually tries to become the White Michael Jackson, (or is that The Black Michael Jackson?) or Usher who again is vying for The King Of Pop's crown. All of these elements ensure Unit Sales, Sell-Out Concerts and Product Endorsements...all of which are exactly what the Industry wants to keep the wheels of Mediocrity and MTV-Friendly Play-Safe Audio Blandness turning...This is exactly why so many great Artists/Acts are failing to get the recognition they deserve today, The Industry doesn't want to take a risk of anything which they deem an unsafe bet, "Stick to what the public know, none of this Independent, free-thinking, Pioneering material"...

The Black-Eyed Peas? Don't make me laugh...they're more Middle of the Road than a Cats Eye! They don't make Music or Songs, they just have collections of Sounds put together in no particular order which is supposed to signify their "Individualism and Originality"...just some synthetic beats whilst some B1nt spouts nonsense over and over and over again..., (but she'll act as the Female Role-Model of the Band) it's no mystery that Kids as young as 3 could "sing" along either...hardly tear-reducing except for the overcooked MiX...way to strangle the life out of that one Mr Producer!

RIP Music

mspL4

Guest eight
I grew out of Oasis ten years ago. For a live act, you can't beat Muse, and I recommend their HAARP dvd. I used to like Portishead in the ninties but their last effort was...erm dissappointing to say the least. The White Lies show promise, and I hope they don't join the growing list of one album wonders.

Supergrass are still going, and Blur are reforming. The Good The Bad and the Queen are enjoyably different.

I think White Lies have just bought a load of singles by the likes of The Alarm and other 80's bands, re-recorded the B-sides and are hoping that nobody notices.

I suspect this because I actually had the same idea myself.

eight

Guest eight
The Black-Eyed Peas? Don't make me laugh...they're more Middle of the Road than a Cats Eye! They don't make Music or Songs, they just have collections of Sounds put together in no particular order which is supposed to signify their "Individualism and Originality"...just some synthetic beats whilst some B1nt spouts nonsense over and over and over again..., (but she'll act as the Female Role-Model of the Band) it's no mystery that Kids as young as 3 could "sing" along either...hardly tear-reducing except for the overcooked MiX...way to strangle the life out of that one Mr Producer!

RIP Music

mspL4

Dizzee Rascal takes the biscuit for me. The guy's actually won the Mercury Prize, yet if I'd come up that "Bonkers" drivel I'd have been too embarrassed to put my name to it.

eight

I think it is the other way round, there was serious amounts of dross in the 60s, and 70s that's not worth listening to/hard to listen to/annoying, lots of newer music is actually rather good and more complicated...

People have different tastes... for example I don't understand how anyone can listen to rock, its just random bashing crashing and screaming, totally pointless

Guest theboltonfury

Get you! Proper culture vulture

As someone said earlier, we've ended one 'movement' without another appearing. I think the kids are tired of whiny Coldplayers and skinny-tied geezers recycling the late 70s (turns out you can get bored of stabby chords played on Telecasters). The press have been trying to kickstart something around young women using synths (Littleboots et al) but while they are nice for music journos to write about and take pictures of, nobody wants to buy their records.

This actually happened between grunge and Britpop in the early 1990s, the music press (NME, Melody Maker) were dying on their feet to the extent they actually tried to invent their own mass movement from pure hype (New Wave Of New Wave) which mercifully nobody remembers now.

That said, I suppose its possible this is the 'long tail' at work; there has never been greater choice, perhaps everyone is downloading obscure stuff from all over.

Which means "popular music" ain't really as popular as you think.

I made a comment about the infamous Steven Wells and none of you miserable ***** saw fit to tell me he died the day before jacko last month

:(

sorry!

did you read his accounts of his last months? Read a condensed version in the Times a couple of weeks back.

Sad, I read him religiously in the NME back in the day, didn't read any of his sports stuff tho.......

RIP.

sorry!

did you read his accounts of his last months? Read a condensed version in the Times a couple of weeks back.

Sad, I read him religiously in the NME back in the day, didn't read any of his sports stuff tho.......

RIP.

Bits and pieces

I went on hols on the 23rd and when jacko died I stopped listening to the news for 2 weeks and being abroad didn't get the papers. Did a google for some of his articles today and all I got were tributes to him

:(:(:(

I think technology has "democratised" music - possibly for the better rather than for the worse. 20, 30 or 40 years ago, people had little choice, if they wanted to get their stuff out there; they had to seek out a record deal as the production and distribution of their music was prohibitively expensive. With the internet, this has meant that anyone can produce anything they want...Some might argue that a lot of shite gets made, which is true, but a lot of good stuff is made as well.

Spotify and Last.fm are fantastic tools. You get to hear anything you want. The only minor problem I have with them, is that it takes the mystery out of record buying. It was quite exciting when you trundled down to your local record shop and bought an album because you liked the artwork. You put it on, and it was great. Its sort of a secret love affair, where only a certain set exclusive people know about it. This has certainly been lost with the web. I rarely, if ever buy a download. Like an idiot, I will always spend 2/3/4 quid on the physical single/EP, rather than 79p on a file, as I find an mp3 file impersonal.

The only thing that hacks me off about the introduction of IT into music, is the proliferation of ProTools - especially when it is used to manipulate voices. You can sing completely out of key, but you can be made to sound like Pavarotti - this was the case with Victoria Beckham (people saw through her false vaneer, which is a relief).

I have no idea why people like The Feeling..they are totally devoid of all passion, as they are the shining beacon of whats wrong with the music industry. I want to break my wrists with a wooden spoon, whenever hilarious fatboy Chris Moyles puts 'em on. For me, it took Elbow far too long to get established for my liking (thanks to the ruddy Feeling, Pigeon Detectives, Jet, The Twang, et al)..I don't think they've put out a bad album. They are the benchmark that indie bands should be aspiring to.

Archived