House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PopGun

What The Feck Is Going On...

Seriously, 'Cascada' aka dumby blonde bird with dad hair extensions shrieking at the camera...

Anything touched by Simon Cowell/Fuller (anyone seen these two in the same room?)

La Roux? WTF where do I start? Noise, completely bankrupt of any talent what so ever.

Black Eyed Peas? BOOM boom fecking boom?? I admit I was never a fan, but my god this song seriously takes the pi55!

Oh and not forgetting the mandatory so called 'rhythm and blues racket.'..... another bint shrieking BATTLEFIELD, battlefield x 100! Another fine example of multiple layered lyrical word play......

Seems like the yoof are getting the music they deserve.

Rant over as I'm starting to sound like my Dad.

What about Amy Winehouse?

Another shrieking bint or a once in a generation voice?

You will note, that hardly anyone knew who she was before she 'went off the rails' then conveniently released a song about going to rehab?!?

At least she can sing.

Music is not my strong point but I was talking to a "muso" buddy about here recently. He agreed with me she was a once in a generation voice.

After hitting such a high a period of dross is to be expected, no?

This is just the dross intermission, much like the middle 70's. One thing over, next not begun.

Structural change is afoot too: bands making money direct from internet, music industry going slowly bust.

I see outdoor raves making a come back.

This is just the dross intermission, much like the middle 70's. One thing over, next not begun.

Structural change is afoot too: bands making money direct from internet, music industry going slowly bust.

I see outdoor raves making a come back.

indeed.

the dj's don't give a shit about the royalties.

if they can make a good set out of the choons then the music is included.

no worries about franchise rights etc.

..fair play,

I think there has been a lot of dross about for a while.

I used to be an avid chart listener, and knew what was going on... but I lost interest a few years bag. There are good songs about, though there are probably more that remain undiscovered by the masses, accessed via the internet. It's easier than it's ever been to put music out there. Being found is the challenge.

I'm not sure we'll get back to music with attitude, which is what is needed, contemporary, edgy with a message. If anyone should be angry at the moment it should be the youth, because they are being serioulsy done over by the establishment.

I would love to hear some anger. Trouble is I imagine the biz is so controlled, they won't emerge.

Lily Allen of the current crop actually has some edge. Though I feel we need something like the Jam or the Clash to stir the senses.

I used to be an avid chart listener, and knew what was going on... but I lost interest a few years bag. There are good songs about, though there are probably more that remain undiscovered by the masses, accessed via the internet. It's easier than it's ever been to put music out there. Being found is the challenge.

I'm not sure we'll get back to music with attitude, which is what is needed, contemporary, edgy with a message. If anyone should be angry at the moment it should be the youth, because they are being serioulsy done over by the establishment.

I would love to hear some anger. Trouble is I imagine the biz is so controlled, they won't emerge.

Lily Allen of the current crop actually has some edge. Though I feel we need something like the Jam or the Clash to stir the senses.

Isn't this at least one of the few perks of a recession?

I'd imagine at the moment most young ones are too busy building their BTL empire to embark on a musical career, especially as the early stages of a band are hardly money making!!

Give them a few years of really having to do without, of fighting the system and each other and they will find their voices.... a new clash will come ;)

"Though I feel we need something like the Jam or the Clash to stir the senses."

Or the Pistols or the Specials mixed with Ian Dury's generosity of spirit, Madness' sense of fun and a bit of harpsichord from the Stranglers.

Showing my age here.

And I contribute this to the vanity of all HPCers

And who is the guy sniffing his fingers at 2.25?

You will note, that hardly anyone knew who she was before she 'went off the rails' then conveniently released a song about going to rehab?!?

At least she can sing.

Really? I saw her at Bestival last year and she couldn't.

She is a c unt flap of the nth degree.

I would never tire of slapping her (or doing her in the shitter, hard)

Not a fan then? It takes all sorts. The Fear is probably as good a comment on the consumer society as you will hear.

As I say, there is a paucity of 'attitude', Lily is at least having a go. She seems quite sweet in her interviews. She's obviously quite bright.

Slightly off topic, but....

Is there a list of words that this message board bans? Surprised that the penultimate word of the above post wasn't blanked...

Not a fan then? It takes all sorts. The Fear is probably as good a comment on the consumer society as you will hear.

As I say, there is a paucity of 'attitude', Lily is at least having a go. She seems quite sweet in her interviews. She's obviously quite bright.

I know a number of people who have taken the words to The Fear at face value and loved it... :rolleyes: Then I've pointed out the chorus, and they have been a bit shocked. Which is why it works so well. The plebs love it because they don't understand it, and the rest realise it's laughing at those very people...

Also, she attended a number of public schools, IIRC.

Here's an article about Kanye West that sums up popular music at the moment. Marketing has taken over the charts.

http://thequietus.com/articles/00104-black...-sensitive-soul

This quote is especially true:

And then it’s back on the tube and I can tell I haven’t taken my medication because all I can see is advertising. Labels, brands, markings, symbols, trade marks. Rows of posters, ambient ads spilling out of mags, free papers, tracksuit symbols, nightclub fliers. All of it like a tight band around my forhead. All of it sh1t.

There are some excellent bands out there...at the moment, one of my favorites is iLiKETRAiNS (oo, and Beirut are great as well)...they come from the same area of Leeds as the Kaiser Chiers, whom I truly hate. There are also great little festivals. I regularly go to All Tomorrow's Parties in Minehead.. You get a bed and a load of great bands play for 2 and a half days.

If I have kids, they will banned from liking the likes of High School Musical. As soon they are born, on goes a bit of At The Drive-In.

Really? I saw her at Bestival last year and she couldn't.

Well she can when she isn't 'Absent of mind'! Agree 100% with your Lily Allen remark, though I'd pass on the brutal sodomy!!

Some 'propper bands are little better. Any Razorlight fans out there? Badly overrated, and whored their music to death a few years back.

Oh the Ting Tings..... how I wish I could lock them two up in an enclosures for malnourished lions!

UK pop music has always been dire.

Concerts are very popular these days, young people don't pay for CDs but they will pay a small fortune to see good live acts.

Bands like Muse can sell 50k stadium tickets within a few hours of them going up for sale. £2 million minus costs for one nights work isn't bad going.

not all young people like crap music. check out this band wild messiah bringing back proper rock music with giant choruses and great guitar solos. www.myspace.com/wildmessiah1

UK pop music has always been dire.

:blink::blink:

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Jam, Human League, Eurythmics, Sade, Soul II Soul, New Order, The Smiths, The Housemartins, Stone Roses, Blur, Oasis, Happy Mondays, Incognito, Brand New Heavies, Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream, Pulp, Supergrass etc etc etc etc

Not expecting anyone to find many bands in the above list (which is pretty random and off the top of my head) they like but I'd be hard pressed to think of many other countries that have contributed to Popular music to the level the UK has.

What kind of artists do you consider 'not dire' and where do they come from?

:blink::blink:

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Jam, Human League, Eurythmics, Sade, Soul II Soul, New Order, The Smiths, The Housemartins, Stone Roses, Blur, Oasis, Happy Mondays, Incognito, Brand New Heavies, Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream, Pulp, Supergrass etc etc etc etc

Not expecting anyone to find many bands in the above list (which is pretty random and off the top of my head) they like but I'd be hard pressed to think of many other countries that have contributed to Popular music to the level the UK has.

What kind of artists do you consider 'not dire' and where do they come from?

Add to that list:

Def Leppard, Simple Minds, Pink Floyd, AC/DC (guys are actually Scottish/Georgie), Status Quo, Depeche Mode etc etc

Of course everyone will have their own tastes, but these bands have shown their appeal and longevity.