House Price Crash Forum
US Citizen

Number Of Suicides In England Drops To An All-time Low

The number of suicides in England are at an all-time low, Care Services Minister Phil Hope has announced as he published the latest annual report on suicide prevention.

The new figures out today show:

* The suicide rate for 2007, the most recent available, was the lowest recorded at 7.5 deaths per 100,000 population.

* There continues to be a sustained fall in the rate of suicide among young men under the age of 35.

* There has also been a further reduction in suicides amongst mental health in-patients, from 216 in 1997 to 136 in 2006 (latest data).

* There has been a fall in suicides in prisons, from 65 in 1997 to 60 in 2008. The 2008 figure is down from 88 in 2007, although trend has fluctuated.

Care Services Minister Phil Hope said:

“The fact that suicide rates continue to fall is encouraging. We will continue to work with the NHS, local authorities and other agencies to try to prevent suicides as far as possible.

“Investment in good mental health services, including early intervention when people have mental health problems is very important. Our new strategy for mental health, called New Horizons, which will be published shortly, will focus on promoting positive mental health and wellbeing.â€

Professor Louis Appleby, clinical director for mental health at the Department for Health said:

“It is excellent that the suicide rate is at a new low, but front-line agencies need to re-double their efforts if we are going to bring it down further at a time of recession.â€

Source: Department of Health

Linky

Lower expectations means we just get on with our dreary old lives.

heh, the local weekly was full of em last week, and i mean full of em. Maybe theyre all buggering off to switzerland to do it?

Swiss figures arent included (for obvious reasons) in English suicide figures. May be we can massage the figures more by leaning on Ryanair to offer special one way fairs for those determined not to repatriate in one form or another.

Edited by debt-free

It was for 2007. It may have gone up since.

exactly, right at the peak of a grand supercycle bull market, socionomically to be expected, watch it go through the roof over the next decade as the bear takes hold

heh, the local weekly was full of em last week, and i mean full of em. Maybe theyre all buggering off to switzerland to do it?

Yeah! We've had about 10 in July that I have heard of. 8 in front of trains from the same footbridge. 6 Male 2 Female. A Women put herself off the top of a multi-storey car park. A young Male put weights on his ankles and dropped off a high bridge into the River Itchen. Southampton.

2007 was when no one seemed to have a care in the world anyway. Hardly indicative.

Why do you think the number of suicides will rise ?

(Loaded Question)

its a totally natural social inevitability. In 2007 the perceived wealth of people was the greatest its erver been (even if it was actually debt), at people see this perceived wealth dissappear you will naturally see more civil unrest, suicides , crime etc etc and i think what you will see over the coming years will be the highest suicide rates etc ever recorded because i believe this is no ordinary bear market but one of supercycle degree thats taken almost a century to create

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

There was a related article in New Scientist last week

Murder and suicide soar in the slump

Link

08 July 2009

IN THE Great Depression, many a destitute worker considered suicide. So what effect might the current recession be having on death rates?

To get an idea, David Stuckler at the University of Oxford and colleagues took mortality data on 26 European Union countries from 1970 to 2007, along with data on employment, GDP and social security expenditure. For every 1 per cent rise in unemployment, both suicides and homicides rose by 0.8 per cent. When employment fell by 3 per cent or more in one go, suicides leapt by 4.4 per cent and homicides by 6.0 per cent. Investing money in government programmes to help people find or keep jobs reduced suicide levels.

An unexpected benefit was a 1.4 per cent drop in road traffic deaths for every 1 per cent rise in unemployment, possibly due to people driving less to save money (The Lancet, DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61124-7).

socialinevitability.

Hey do you think I have a degree or something. That word is over 10 letters. In simple dont understand it.

Now I'm depressed and it all your fault.

Everones out to pick on me.

Thats it, I am thowing myself off a bridge. I SAID "I'M THOWING MYSELF OFF A BRIDGE).

My point is nothing is socially inevitable... remember free will. (No you half wits) Not free willy. ... I give up ;)

Counter-argument: when you're miserable and you should be happy, you feel abnormal and damned. But when you're miserable and the situation is miserable, you feel normal and in good company.

Being middle class and bankrupt is embarrassing. But when half your middle class friends are bankrupt too, it becomes...laughable.

War, disaster etc: they're worth getting up for, makes the news interesting.

Mental health may improve paradoxically, IMO.

Hey do you think I have a degree or something. That word is over 10 letters. In simple dont understand it.

Now I'm depressed and it all your fault.

Everones out to pick on me.

Thats it, I am thowing myself off a bridge. I SAID "I'M THOWING MYSELF OFF A BRIDGE).

My point is nothing is socially inevitable... remember free will. (No you half wits) Not free willy. ... I give up ;)

we have different belief systems, i dont believe free will is a stronger human trait than reaction to socionomic circumstance. Humans may be more technically evolved but emotionally i dont think theres been any real evolution since we were throwing stones at each other

Counter-argument: when you're miserable and you should be happy, you feel abnormal and damned. But when you're miserable and the situation is miserable, you feel normal and in good company.

Being middle class and bankrupt is embarrassing. But when half your middle class friends are bankrupt too, it becomes...laughable.

Good point.

Remember the old timers saying " I remember the war".

Damn good time that why, plenty of pussy, chance to kill a few people without being done for murder. A night out or two with the lads in France. The women enjoying American Men and making comparisons. The war brought out the best and worst in people and they all loved every minute of it, in this country at least.

You have a point there. Studies have shown that people are most miserable in societies where there is a large disparity in wealth. The rich are unhappy because they have to be on guard that the poor will steal from them. The poor are unhappy because they the wealth but can't participate in it.

Ironically, with the rich leaving the UK due to the 50% tax and domicile clamp down, maybe the wealth disparity will subside and happiness will increase. This may be part of the NuLabour project. :ph34r:

we have different belief systems, i dont believe free will is a stronger human trait than reaction to socionomic circumstance. Humans may be more technically evolved but emotionally i dont think theres been any real evolution since we were throwing stones at each other

That is correct, we have less as I am talking to you and 300+ over people through my mind. I wouldnt do that face to face because I'm shy and ugly. We use technology to express how we feel and when that fails us, even in finance we look for people like us in similar circumstances. I can think off the top of my head of one such website called .................................... ah thats it "House Price Thingy Magig".

One suggested scheme of classification for suicide.

Anomic vs. egoistic perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_(book)