House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flatnose

Future Public Sector Cuts V2 (multiple Choice)

I'd cut the whole lot.

Privatise all education. Sell off the NHS's assets and permit a free market in healthcare. Sack civil servants and other parasites by the million.

I'd cut the whole lot.

Privatise all education. Sell off the NHS's assets and permit a free market in healthcare. Sack civil servants and other parasites by the million.

Poll computer says no!

I'd cut the whole lot.

I agree in principle.

I'd be looking at ending the subsidy to public sector final salary schemes, so it crosses several of your categories including MPs remuneration. Like the private sector ,when the fund is exhausted tough.

Totally unacceptable to hand a trillion pound liability down to the unborn.

Guest happy?

Can I just throw in a straw man and an aunt sally to attack. Both of these non-productive 'workers' should be the target of HPCers bile. AFAIK they both get "gold-plated pensions"1 too.

1 Copyright Daily Wail and General Misery group.

I'd be looking at ending the subsidy to public sector final salary schemes, so it crosses several of your categories including MPs remuneration. Like the private sector ,when the fund is exhausted tough.

Totally unacceptable to hand a trillion pound liability down to the unborn.

Agreed.

Also, cut out several layers of unessential management and incidences of gross overmanning in state monoliths like the NHS (just about the only place where there isn't gross overmanning is where it would be best employed - as front line healthecare).

That would mean clicking just about all boxes a little bit though.

Oh yea, and cut MPs from 650 or so down to about 400 to reflect loss of powers to the EU. Apply similar cuts across the board to reduce the £500m a year we spendon politicians.

Edited by newp

A good poll, however you have to consider that cutting some are not really going to make a difference, you have to cut the big budget ones.

Also, all foreign "aid", which is our corrupt government giving money it stole from British taxpayers to other corrupt governments, should be immediately scrapped.

Why no option to cut benefits and let the feckless starve?

I have put in the option to cut benefits. However, not all who are unemployed are feckless. It is easy to judge when you consider yourself in a place of safety.

No use. Need to be able to select multiple choices. And the big ones (like the NHS) need to feature strongly, because a small cut to NHS spending would save much more than huge cuts elsewhere.

- Kill off mega-scale waste, headed by the MoD but also featuring NHS.

- Kill off subsidies that foul the market up and suffocate the productive. Heading that list (but not necessarily in order) are farm subsidies, housing subsidies, and bailouts for banks, car-dealers, etc.

- Reduce "frivolous" lawsuits by introducing sanctions on lawyers taking on cases deemed to be nonsense. Note: this policy is just a start, as few judges will allow it to be invoked against their mates, but at least it points away from a ruinous path.

But at the same time, ensure essential services are maintained: things like waste collection and "999" services - most of which are managed out of local authority (not national) budgets. But dispense with requirements for target-oriented paperwork, and with excessive fear of getting sued that leads to ****-covering dominating too many jobs ("good faith" should be a better defence than ticked boxes). Also don't strangle education budgets - just trim where they're oriented to silly targets like calling burger-flipping a degree.

Best of all, kill off the twin evils of benefits trap and poverty trap. Let any employment pay better than the benefits you'd get without it, and bring a couple of millions of marginal would-be workers into doing something productive!

[edit] - the censorware didn't want to allow ****-covering!

Edited by porca misèria

edited to remove quote from other thread.

You mean it's super-speeded central bank money that can be in several places at the same time? Certainly an interesting idea, no idea if it has any mileage ;)

ARRRRGH!

I voted 20 seconds ago.

Now I can't use multi-choice.

Edited by Timm

Cost Cutting

Cut MP numbers by half and widen representation areas

Cut/remove final salary scheme for all civil servants

Cut NHS services like IVF

Free bus passes raised to 65

Pay freeze in civil service for 3 years

Put police on long term not active duty (sick/injury) into alternative police rolls or remove them. Say control room, PCSOs, Crime prevention etc.

Ditch Nuclear Subs and Nuclear Missiles purchases

Reduce BBC to 2 channels and BBC online, sell Eastenders (if it looses money). Concentrate on news and experimental programmes and formats it can sell.

Remove Benefits for any single parent receiving over £1000 per month in maintenance

Stop ID cards

Incentives

Incentives for technical + environmental innovations which can be exported

Tax Incentives on:

Exercise related hobbies

Bicycles

Private Health

Private Education

Revenue Increase

Increase tax on:

Carbon

Rubbish

Packaging

High fat foods

Smoking

Off License alcohol

Charge for parking at counsel /civil service offices for employees

Legalise cannabis and tax it

Increase use of prisoners to generate income or enhance neighbourhoods (litter picking etc)

Performance Improvement

Introduce Balance scorecards for counsel / civil service performance and publish them every month.

Introduce DMAIC/ six sigma cost saving projects and publish the goals and performance quarterly for all projects with over £250000 saving

Only engage in contracts where the cost risk is on the supplier with liquidated damages not the government e.g. NHS software

Bank Bonuses /Regulation

All bank bonuses to be held in FTSE spread share portfolio for 9 years before able to sell

Guest happy?

Does anyone know where Dog's posted this week's public sector job ads - I'm looking for a new 'gold-plated' sinecure.

Cost Cutting

Put police on long term not active duty (sick/injury) into alternative police rolls or remove them. Say control room, PCSOs, Crime prevention etc.

Reduce BBC to 2 channels and BBC online, sell Eastenders (if it looses money). Concentrate on news and experimental programmes and formats it can sell.

Remove Benefits for any single parent receiving over £1000 per month in maintenance

Stop ID cards

Incentives

Tax Incentives on:

Exercise related hobbies

Bicycles

Private Health

Private Education

Revenue Increase

Increase tax on:

Carbon

Rubbish

Packaging

High fat foods

Smoking

Off License alcohol

Increase use of prisoners to generate income or enhance neighbourhoods (litter picking etc)

Performance Improvement

Introduce Balance scorecards for counsel / civil service performance and publish them every month.

Introduce DMAIC/ six sigma cost saving projects and publish the goals and performance quarterly for all projects with over £250000 saving

Only engage in contracts where the cost risk is on the supplier with liquidated damages not the government e.g. NHS software

Bank Bonuses /Regulation

All bank bonuses to be held in FTSE spread share portfolio for 9 years before able to sell

Right on! :)

I have put in the option to cut benefits. However, not all who are unemployed are feckless. It is easy to judge when you consider yourself in a place of safety.

The Tory government will need to be more selective over who they give it to. I give you a clue. D*ckhead labour voting sink estates wont rate highly on their list of priorities. When was the last time you saw a thin chav (that isnt on heroin)?

Cost Cutting

Stop ID cards

Incentives

Tax Incentives on:

Exercise related hobbies

Bicycles

Private Health

Private Education

Revenue Increase

Increase tax on:

Carbon

Rubbish

Packaging

High fat foods

Smoking

Off License alcohol

Performance Improvement

Bank Bonuses /Regulation

If the above list were implemented, it would probably save a big fat zero off the government' budget!

The only items that will save money are: ending public sector pensions and scrapping our nuclear deterrent (so goodbye gibraltar then!)

The items that will cost just as much if not more are: incentives for private health and private education.

All the others are peanuts. eg if you tax more on alcohol/cigarettes, everyone will get them from France, so you'll lose money net.

You're not even beginning to get to grips with the scale of the problem: 1/3rd of government spending has to go, just to balance the budget. That's before recovering any of the bail-out money.

i wouldn't cut the FSA budget, i'd get rid of the entire pointless waste of space organisation completely.

As for cuts elsewher, i'd probably reduce the amounts spent on consultants across the board, and use that money [and then some] to hire and train more permanent staff. OFcourse you can't not use consultants or outside expertise but it's prevalence needs to be looked at with more scruting, rather than subjecting permanent staff to all sorts of counter productive performance related gumph [which incidentally costs a great deal to implement from the consultants supplying these PRP frameworks]. Oh the irony!!!!

The Tory government will need to be more selective over who they give it to. I give you a clue. D*ckhead labour voting sink estates wont rate highly on their list of priorities. When was the last time you saw a thin chav (that isnt on heroin)?

Yes you make some good points. However, your argument is eroded by your generalisations!

Edited by flatnose