House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajay

Back From Dubai To Live With Mum And Dad

Here is one of the typical posts of the expats coming back with not even a shekel to show for it, in there 40/50s and now living with mum and dad, lost the job about several months ago and used the life saving looking for another one, but dubai is finished so back they must come.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619640

After losing my job here in the UAE several months ago and having spent just about all of our savings living whilst trying to find another job here or in the Middle East, we are now at the point where we have to go back to the UK because we have no money left!

Those promised jobs just did not materialise, just hang on another month or two, the job will firm up, another few weeks, it can't go on like this for much longer........

Two Brits in their 40/50's by the way !

To have to move in with elderly parents who really have enough heath worries without 'offspring and in-law' moving into their boxroom is really very difficult for all concerned.

So,with nothing to show for our time in the UAE and having read some of the posts in this thread, some up to date, some less so, can I ask for some experiences of those who can relate to our circumstance please ? Signing on, benefits ? We've both paid many years of tax and NI NI in the UK.

What is the current position on how we could manage until we find employment ? Do we qualify for funds to rent a property ?

Any current and up to date information would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Sad to be leaving the UAE.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they would be happy to take a job in asda.

...coming back with not even a shekel to show for it, ....

I think, in all honesty, the UAE chappies would probably take a dim view of that currency...

Tax free income for many years and nothing left.

I am daily amazed by the alacrity with which so many people throw away their money leaving themselves with nothing to show for it. It comes in, it goes out. However much they earn.

I have known many people who have been working for 30 years in managerial jobs and who still have unsecured debts. If they lose their jobs they have had it.

Baffling. I always build up a big safety cushion, have had two decent career breaks, and could (just) stop earning now and am younger than those two. These Dubai peopel should have been going on a 10 year odyssey, the best years of their lives. Instead they are stuffed.

Still, I suppose they have some designer clothes to show for it.

I am daily amazed by the alacrity with which so many people throw away their money leaving themselves with nothing to show for it. It comes in, it goes out. However much they earn.

I have known many people who have been working for 30 years in managerial jobs and who still have unsecured debts. If they lose their jobs they have had it.

Baffling. I always build up a big safety cushion, have had two decent career breaks, and could (just) stop earning now and am younger than those two. These Dubai peopel should have been going on a 10 year odyssey, the best years of their lives. Instead they are stuffed.

I agree.

What an extraordinary tale!

Guest X-QUORK

Hmmm...not been contributing to the UK for some time...falls on hard times...returns to sponge off the UK.

Moral hazard anyone?

I think, in all honesty, the UAE chappies would probably take a dim view of that currency...

Money is money, and it has no taste or smell or nationality or race....or religion.

Hmmm...not been contributing to the UK for some time...falls on hard times...returns to sponge off the UK.

Moral hazard anyone?

Both, exactly. Greedy F U ckers who loved living out there tax free and were on a never ending gravy train, or so they thought. Did not save - living life to the full. Ltes hope they have no kids, though now back in the UK they will probably do that get a council house and loads of benefifts. At least they are not Al Queada immigrants! They should get nothing at all from the state.

I pity the poor parents, but then they brought them up to be that way!!!!

Moral hazard anyone?

Bloody immigrants.

Then again, they're white, so I guess the BNP nutters on this forum will be happy to have them back, even though theu have paid no taxes to this country for years.

Bloody immigrants.

Then again, they're white, so I guess the BNP nutters on this forum will be happy to have them back, even though theu have paid no taxes to this country for years.

Not sure the BNP would like them, i think they (may) come from a med country, and the BNP is trying to get the white working class vote, not quasi middle class people like these. ( who live with there parents)

Moral hazard anyone?

I'm not sure that they will be able to. My parents certainly went to great lengths to pay NI whilst they were working abroad which implies that if you don't the can be problems.

For most people spending expands to use up available income. I have just as little left at the end of the month as I did when I was a student. The difference is that I learnt - pay yourself first - a while ago, and so thirty percent of my net income goes straight into savings the day I get paid. Not there to be spent - doesn't get spent.

For most people spending expands to use up available income. I have just as little left at the end of the month as I did when I was a student. The difference is that I learnt - pay yourself first - a while ago, and so thirty percent of my net income goes straight into savings the day I get paid. Not there to be spent - doesn't get spent.

If you don't mind my asking - what does it go on? Do you have lots of expensive hobbies?

I tend to watch these Spend Spend Spend programmes with an expression of fascinated horror as they have dug themselves into a pit of trouble through buying loads of stuff (and it is usually stuff) that they don't use and certainly didn't need.