House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

Any Signs Of Recovery In Your Area Or Industry?

No quite the opposite. I've seen a number of what would previously be permanent positions within the NHS become 1 year fixed term contracts.

Seems people are getting desperate to make their departments look proactive, to the point where they have been taken in by salesmen and axed whole departments only to replace them with outside contractors for maybe 2 or 3 times the cost. These costs appear on different accounts and so in true Monty Python "The Administrator" style, it all looks like a jolly wheeze until it goes Tango Uniform, when someone will no doubt get a promotion for the radical idea of setting up NHS jobs to save money previously spunked on crap contractors.

http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/5006/...yal_berks_staff

This one doesn't affect me, but it annoys me that through the jolly's/fact finding they take the senior management on around the world to win contracts, the people doing the real work get the boot in favour of lining the pockets of companies who have a history of failure.

There are tons I could recount but this one has good commentary on the page linked to.

TFH

Class Rant, feller.

The modern equivalent of appointing someone to count the paper clips and make sure there's no overspend on staplers.

Business is booming in our place. The number of customers we have has more than doubled in the last 12 months.

The sad thing is, I work in mental health. :unsure:

Seems people are getting desperate to make their departments look proactive, to the point where they have been taken in by salesmen and axed whole departments only to replace them with outside contractors for maybe 2 or 3 times the cost. These costs appear on different accounts and so in true Monty Python "The Administrator" style, it all looks like a jolly wheeze until it goes Tango Uniform, when someone will no doubt get a promotion for the radical idea of setting up NHS jobs to save money previously spunked on crap contractors.

:lol: The scary thing is that some of those old python sketches are starting to look like documentry footage. Everytime I hear the 'ministry of justice' mentioned I get this flashback of Cleese doing the walk.

I am busier now than 12 months ago. Record months in April, May, June and looking good for July. Why????? A restaurant in a coastal resort on the South Coast and not only are the Brits staying at home this year, but the Europeans are flocking here too to spend thei shiny Euros. We are clawing back the losses made at the back end of last year :blink:

One redundancy but I found out last week that the employer has not paid PAYE for a year, so another 7 redundancies and the bailiffs soon.

Class Rant, feller.

The modern equivalent of appointing someone to count the paper clips and make sure there's no overspend on staplers.

That's the NHS!

Business is booming in our place. The number of customers we have has more than doubled in the last 12 months.

The sad thing is, I work in mental health. :unsure:

Likewise and seeing same thing

I'm currently snowed under with new instructions. I am finding I have to pass new business to others in order to keep up with demand from customers.

My customer are burglary victims, alas.

I drive a truck, road transport is a reliable bellwether for the economy, things are getting quieter by the week.

Our main customer is a manufacturer of concrete lintels, they have seen no upturn so far and are projecting declining business for the rest of the year. Their output is down by two-thirds since 2007.

I work in PR - we've really started suffering now - much later than advertizing. 30-40% of business has simply walked from the larger agencies. Clients are slashing their costs and now it's the turn of the PR industry.

Yeah, I got the scummy chavs kicked out of the rental house next door to my place the other month, so my street is recovering pretty well. Local woolworths still closed though, a right shame as it was useful for buying last minute Chinese plastic tat at rock bottom prices for my mates kids birthdays, now I have to go to the pricey old-fashioned toy store, damn it.

Edited by General Congreve

Strangely enough, the green economy is collapsing completely - environmental consultancies (I represent two large ones) are in a state of freefall.

Whenever I hear Brown burbling on about the green economy, I really do wonder. Get into the real world Gordo!

IT contract market seems dead which suggests that businesses are holding back on new investment at the moment. A few months ago people I know were taking pay cuts to stay in work, they are now being cut mid-contract and have nothing else to go to.

I suspect most of the projects that were ongoing last autumn when the financial crisis hit have now either been shelved or finished and nothing new is starting up.

I’m lucky enough to be in a well paid, long-term contract at the moment which looks pretty secure. It’s just a lottery though, there will be a lot of very good people who become victims of this downturn.

The only positive is that, if this recession follows the pattern of the last, any recovery will be heralded by businesses investing in new IT in anticipation of the next boom.

went through the considerably better off's streets today - every 5th or 6th house (large detached) had an 09 plate car - Minis, Audis, BMWs.

someone's had the last laugh with their ponzi-ing thats for sure, the rich get richer under Labour - even in a recession - the gulf has never been wider

Anyone taking on workers to soak up the thousands laid off elsewhere?

Work for Brewer / Pubs / hotel chain

Trade reasonably brisk although margins have been cut. Our hotels maybe benefitting from the staycation trend this year. Likewise our 'value' eating outlets are doing very well as middle class diners downtrade! :lol:

Work in Construction - public sector

Usual summer uplift for schools and colleges work - but come the end of the summer things looking tough, but we should be ok till november. However I am getting massive deflation in subcontractors tendering, just mind blowing stuff some of it, reduction where you think they just can do it for that, but, there are so may unemplyed in the south east people are just happy to work for some sought of income.

The big concern is next year - if they cut spending (which they are), could find myself on the dole.

As for friends in the private sector, there is nothing going on, housebuilders are just getting rid of units to lesson debt and regain values on land. Even after write downs there struggerling to make values meet. And thats because the surveyors are undervalueing (or correctly valueing which ever side o the camp your in), resulting in values against land struggerling to recoup expenditure.

Think were going into the next stage of the recession which is consumer led. Think we will see one almighty crash in the markets in october in the last week of October I think as earnings hit. From this point who knows - but on a brighter note, i expect a full recovery in swing by september 2011 !!!!! (just in time for Olympics)

So were a long way off

Sadly I think we are going to see many on the streets, and tent citys springing up over here - there is massive deflation going on, and its a race to the bottom. This country relies on the construction industry as its main economy (primarily because we are a small island), and until that picks up we will keep going down.

Whats really worrying that ive read recently is the government is going to allow rents to fall for social housing, this puts back on hold many schemes that were probably getting ready to role......and dont believe the governement is directing money to social/coucil housing - these things at best take 12 months to come to frutition......and gordo knows it.

Pearshape

Work for Brewer / Pubs / hotel chain

Trade reasonably brisk although margins have been cut. Our hotels maybe benefitting from the staycation trend this year. Likewise our 'value' eating outlets are doing very well as middle class diners downtrade! :lol:

Also large proportion of my work is investigating accident claims and that is going through the roof as every other waster out there sees an opportunity to cash in on the slip, trip & fall culture.

Batted off claims which insurers had placed reserves of £38,000 in the last 3 weeks.....

Edited by Kurt Barlow

I work in insolvency and if I had a £ for everyone who then says 'Oh, you must be busy' then I'd be typing this in an Armani suit. However, its a small firm and my boss is not the best businessman in the world so we're not taking on huge amounts of new cases.

And anyone thinking of insolvency as a career be warned - unless you like copious amounts of paperwork and like following extensive legislation to the letter then this job is not for you. Better than the dole though, I suppose :(

I work in insolvency and if I had a £ for everyone who then says 'Oh, you must be busy' then I'd be typing this in an Armani suit. However, its a small firm and my boss is not the best businessman in the world so we're not taking on huge amounts of new cases.

And anyone thinking of insolvency as a career be warned - unless you like copious amounts of paperwork and like following extensive legislation to the letter then this job is not for you. Better than the dole though, I suppose :(

There seems to be quite a bit of irony here.

There seems to be quite a bit of irony here.

Yes, there is, however just think - there are many companies not run by good businessmen/women. I'm sure there must have been some estate agents in the latter years of the housing boom who didn't do very well.

There's nothing common about common sense ;)

Never known it so busy for GP locum work.

Mystic Meg hat on ...

"I predict that you will have an even greater upturn in business in the next few months.."

As it happens my father who retired 8 years ago from a similar profession to yours has been contacted to ask if he would be available short term. I don't think he can be arsed though .. unless it really gets to a "Your country needs you" stage ..