House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Postal Staff Set To Strike Again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8156970.stm

Industrial action at the Royal Mail is set to escalate with strike action scheduled for three days next week, the BBC has learned.

The strike action on 25, 27 and 28 July comes on top of Friday's one-day walkout by 12,000 Royal Mail employees.

The escalating action is in defence of workers who, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) say, are being unduly pressured by Royal Mail managers.

The Royal Mail has accused the union of standing in the way of modernisation.

Union members in London and other selected regions are to down tools in the dispute over job cuts and working conditions.

This could result in no deliveries of mail on Saturday 25 July, and no work at Royal Mail's London distribution centres on 27 and 28 July, says BBC business correspondent Joe Lynam.

The CWU has accused Royal Mail managers of trying to "break the union for good" and accused them of "illogical and arbitrary" job cuts.

The Royal Mail employs more than 150,000 people in the UK, most of whom are represented by the CWU.

Earlier on Friday, about 400 employees marched on Westminster to deliver letters of protest to the Business Secretary Lord Mandelson.

The Royal Mail is suffering from a big drop in demand for letters as more and more people use the internet to communicate.

The government announced last month that it was delaying controversial plans to sell a stake in the postal service to a private company.

It maintains that the partial sell off of Royal Mail is required as part of measures to tackle the company's finances - in particular a pensions deficit said to be near £8bn.

Lord Mandelson has said the company cannot survive without the sale.

It's nasty sociopathic looters versus dinosaur unionists in a failing industry.

What fun.

I think im gonna try and go as paperless as I can. Did you know you can get digital magazines now days?

http://www.zinio.com/

Magazines instantlly delivered at a fraction of the cost of a paper subcription, no trees, no postage. Brill.

I'm not sure I want to take my laptop to hairdressers/dentist/toilet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8156970.stm

It's nasty sociopathic looters versus dinosaur unionists in a failing industry.

Speaking of sociopathic looting, isn't this the wrong time?

The privatisation looting of the Post Offices and Railways was largely concerned with land and property assets. I'd imagine the prize you get with Royal Mail is much the same . . . in our local town, a vast sorting office occupies a prime site. In a small town nearby, Royal Mail still has the old Post Office, a rather grand building I used to visit in awe as a child. The actual Post Office is now wedged in the back of the dry cleaners.

But there are no prizes for anyone the current market place.

(I realise of course that the idea of sending a letter or a parcel has no bearing on anything.)

Speaking of sociopathic looting, isn't this the wrong time?

The privatisation looting of the Post Offices and Railways was largely concerned with land and property assets. I'd imagine the prize you get with Royal Mail is much the same . . . in our local town, a vast sorting office occupies a prime site. In a small town nearby, Royal Mail still has the old Post Office, a rather grand building I used to visit in awe as a child. The actual Post Office is now wedged in the back of the dry cleaners.

But there are no prizes for anyone the current market place.

(I realise of course that the idea of sending a letter or a parcel has no bearing on anything.)

When you are stealing it's all profit.

No need to take your own to the first two, and I type a lot of my posts on the third :lol:

No wonder your posts are so full of shit.

:lol:

Striking will be disastrous though. I ship thousands and thousands of packets from online via Royal Mail. They were much cheaper than DHL for the sub 2kg category last time they quoted. If Royal Mail strike too often DHL will get the business.

The posties might get a short-term win but, by striking it's a long term fail.

Striking will be disastrous though. I ship thousands and thousands of packets from online via Royal Mail. They were much cheaper than DHL for the sub 2kg category last time they quoted. If Royal Mail strike too often DHL will get the business.

The posties might get a short-term win but, by striking it's a long term fail.

Totally, it's like they haven't realised they are in competition

God know why they need to strike. They've all finished work by mid-morning. I'd kill for a job like that.

If only.

My mail gets delivered between 1500 & 1700 now.

We should stop subsidising the sending of letters to far-flung locations. Make people pay for their own isolationism.

I can't decide on that, we do loads of business on small items to the Highlands and other far flung parts, this noticeable drops off once it gets to the kind of weight where they'll have to pay a significant Highlands & Islands shipping surcharge.

If they had to pay unsubsidised cost for postage they may not buy at all but, if the cost dropped for everywhere else the business there might increase significantly.

Frankly, the biggest thing you're subsidising when you buy a stamp is the living costs of a load of pensionable posties.

Do they still have their free sick days per year?

Few years back, and hearsey from a postie..........

Was told they were allowed X amount of 'sick' days off per year when they fancied it.

We should stop subsidising the sending of letters to far-flung locations. Make people pay for their own isolationism.

Great idea if you also let Shetland keep its oil revenues (many times government spending there) as well as its non-oil taxes (two and a half times expenditure). Your island has been a subsidy junky for decades and you're moaning about the price of stamps.... :P

I think im gonna try and go as paperless as I can. Did you know you can get digital magazines now days?

Magazines instantlly delivered at a fraction of the cost of a paper subcription, no trees, no postage. Brill.

Yes, but think about the extra cost of screen wipes.

How carbon friendly of you