House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oseame

H1n1 Kills Fat People

Now, I may just be being optimistic here, but seeing as H1N1 is respiratory, can we count on a cull of the huge tubs of lard that have sprung (ok, waddled) in to prevalence these last few decades? If so the press should report on the matter. Who really objects to half the obese population dying of respiratory weakness? Probably just the obese population :P

Does anyone have any facts to argue for or against?

Now, I may just be being optimistic here, but seeing as H1N1 is respiratory, can we count on a cull of the huge tubs of lard that have sprung (ok, waddled) in to prevalence these last few decades? If so the press should report on the matter. Who really objects to half the obese population dying of respiratory weakness? Probably just the obese population :P

Does anyone have any facts to argue for or against?

I saw the percentages posted here the other day and it looks like a non-story to me. Fat people will always be hit hard no matter what the disease is.

I saw the percentages posted here the other day and it looks like a non-story to me. Fat people will always be hit hard no matter what the disease is.

Agreed. Morbidly obese people are at increased risk of dying from most diseases.

The mildly obese are not. The optimal BMI for longevity is around 30 for women and 29 for men.

So you're pleased fat people may die just because they are fat. May I say - in that spirit - that I can only hope you're taken and I'm spared any more guff like this. BTW I'm definitely not part of the obese population.

yeah i can't stand fat people in general. i think their bodies on the whole make quite a statement about how they live and i'm getting a car so i don't have to be crushed underneath cow sized chunks of stinky rancid meat on public transport.

and by the way, i have H1N1 right now and it's quite mild i must say - sorry to let you down ;)

Guest X-QUORK
yeah i can't stand fat people in general. i think their bodies on the whole make quite a statement about how they live and i'm getting a car so i don't have to be crushed underneath cow sized chunks of stinky rancid meat on public transport.

and by the way, i have H1N1 right now and it's quite mild i must say - sorry to let you down ;)

I can't stand imature dickweeds, I hope they die early.

So you're pleased fat people may die just because they are fat. May I say - in that spirit - that I can only hope you're taken and I'm spared any more guff like this. BTW I'm definitely not part of the obese population.

Don't feel bad. Fat people will ascend to heaven, like chips float to the surface in a deep fat fryer.

you must be a fatty then :P

I'm on the cusp statiistically,16 stone 6'2.I do however walk about 30 miles a week.I have noticed lately a trend for the fat/moderately obese to use electric bicycles and mobility scooters.This is surely a bad trend and can only exacerbate matters.One guy I see every night actually has a trailer on his mobility scooter for his fishing tackle.

Yeah well, they do say the devil looks after his own.

Nice one ;) But also they say the strong outlive the weak and pathetic :rolleyes:

plus it's the gluttons who have an entire layer of hell reserved for them :lol:

The government seems to spend a lot of time and money trying to come up with initiatives to solve the 'obesity crisis'.

Surely creating a panic amongst the overweight/obese about their swine flu risk would be much easier and cheaper than all the 'Change 4 Life' stuff.

I'm on the cusp statiistically,16 stone 6'2.I do however walk about 30 miles a week.I have noticed lately a trend for the fat/moderately obese to use electric bicycles and mobility scooters.This is surely a bad trend and can only exacerbate matters.One guy I see every night actually has a trailer on his mobility scooter for his fishing tackle.

Agreed, it must be near impossible for people to regain the strength with which to move properly once they've lost it and fat outgrows muscle, and fat people who don't remain physically active always look a lot closer to death. But how do you encourage someone who couldn't be bothered to exercise when they were thin and it was comparatively easy once they're encased in lard? no easy feat...

The government seems to spend a lot of time and money trying to come up with initiatives to solve the 'obesity crisis'.

Surely creating a panic amongst the overweight/obese about their swine flu risk would be much easier and cheaper than all the 'Change 4 Life' stuff.

Yay, someone gets it :lol:

They probably are much more at risk, h1n1 makes breathing harder and I could imagine if you were fat already it might be on a par with asthma or an allergic reaction in terms of breathing difficulty...

The government has NEVER been serious about tackling the obesity crisis. They fail to recognise that it at its core, it is an addiction like any other, smoking, drug addiction, alcoholism etc. Oh wait a minute, they've failed to properly address those too and invested money in all the wrong areas, lining the pockets of big pharma.

In terms of obesity, government prefer to keep the food companies happy rather than really solve the addiction to abusing yourself with food.

The government has NEVER been serious about tackling the obesity crisis. They fail to recognise that it at its core, it is an addiction like any other, smoking, drug addiction, alcoholism etc. Oh wait a minute, they've failed to properly address those too and invested money in all the wrong areas, lining the pockets of big pharma.

In terms of obesity, government prefer to keep the food companies happy rather than really solve the addiction to abusing yourself with food.

Yeah the government are much more like a business than a charity and it's not about people ^.^ I say teach the fat ones to make amphetamines and tell the anorexics how to grow cannabis (assuming they pass basic psych assessment). We'll have a much more well rounded society :lol:

Oh the joys of self-righteousness....

Guest X-QUORK

Obnoxious little turd isn't he? Only 16 posts and he's on my Ignore list already.

Agreed, it must be near impossible for people to regain the strength with which to move properly once they've lost it and fat outgrows muscle, and fat people who don't remain physically active always look a lot closer to death. But how do you encourage someone who couldn't be bothered to exercise when they were thin and it was comparatively easy once they're encased in lard? no easy feat...

One of the biggest myths touted by governments, "experts" and even idiots like yourself is that exercise is a large problem for obese people. Exercise has nothing to do with it.

Just because you can use exercise to accelerate your weight losses does not mean that lack of excercise is a huge root cause of obesity. It isn't.

Human beings have long been scavengers. We need no more exercise than other non-predatory animals. We certainly don't need to use these modern, mundane contraptions called gyms.

People don't go fat because of lack of exercise. Big myth. People go fat because they eat when they are not hungry i.e. they eat more than their body demands from them in desired nutrition. This is related entirely to well-being.

When you don't feat at ease and well within yourself, you will abuse something be it food (the most easy option), cigarettes or drugs. A big reason why Americans are so fat is because they are the first nation to lose all their individuality, all their culture etc. to big business. People are left wondering what the point of their lives is? Their McJobs working for corporates are worthless. The tax burden is higher than ever. Crime is up. Terrorism. Swine flu. etc. etc. etc. Life is no longer as simple as it used to be not long ago. So people need a "fix".

Adulterated food (food companies are worse than tobacco companies) is the nearest fix available. Guess what, nearly all of us are hooked. It's just that obese people are hooked more than others.

We should all be eating a fruitarian or at least a mostly vegetarian diet. But even those of us who are not obese still love to eat at McDonalds etc. We still like to get our fix and then mentally "starve ourself" of the foods we really want to eat at all other times.

This is why people get fat in middle age. They did more activity in their youth. But when they become less mobile, they start to eat more food that their body demands in hunger. No longer can exercise cover up their addiction. It's like the SAS guys who burn up over 4000 calories while training. They eat things like mars bars but it's not a problem. But it will be if they don't change their diet when they're not in training. At least the army controls your life and gives you a forced kind of discipline.

Obnoxious little turd isn't he? Only 16 posts and he's on my Ignore list already.

As a matter of principle I won't put anyone on ignore.It seems self defeating to fail to listen to those who don't have the same opinions as yours.Ultimately you would have no discussion at all.Besides I often find that I disagree strongly with someone's opinion on one topic but agree on another.

long tirade of excuses

I'm not saying it all hinges on exercise, obviously, it all really hinges on food, but exercise (keep in mind exercise can be walking regularly and basic human movement) is an important factor in keeping your body running properly and many fat people once they get that way are no longer able to move easily, making it much harder for them to get back in to a healthy lifestyle.

addiction has become something of a buzzword in modern times and people forget that they can be broken by willpower - ultimately it's a choice and blame sponge rooted in personality rather than unhealthy food. I'm an athletic vegetarian and even though i agree that McD's are evil especially as it's often fed to children in place of real meals i don't think you should ban any kind of produce - i enjoy real milk ice cream as much as the next person ^.^

Hey it was probably that fat b*st*rd who couldn't keep his stomach off me on the way home from work who gave me H1N1 :P

addiction has become something of a buzzword in modern times and people forget that they can be broken by willpower - ultimately it's a choice and blame sponge rooted in personality rather than unhealthy food. I'm an athletic vegetarian and even though i agree that McD's are evil especially as it's often fed to children in place of real meals i don't think you should ban any kind of produce - i enjoy real milk ice cream as much as the next person ^.^

You completely misunderstand what an addiction is. Willpower alone is about 1% successful in the long term across all addictions. To call the cure for an addiction, a "choice", is a contradiction in terms.

I agree that you need to muster some degree of personal responsibility to overcome addiction but to see it as the total cure tells me you know very, very little about addiction.

You completely misunderstand what an addiction is. Willpower alone is about 1% successful in the long term across all addictions. To call the cure for an addiction, a "choice", is a contradiction in terms.

I agree that you need to muster some degree of personal responsibility to overcome addiction but to see it as the total cure tells me you know very, very little about addiction.

well thanks for that stunning lack of insight (i notice you don't actually propose a 'cure'), i've been through rehab and the 12 step program actually which takes quite some months and at the end of the day the sum of the steps is to think about your life, ask 'a higher power' a.k.a god to help you out and fulfill your addictive tendencies with regular attendance of an exclusive and cult like 'self-help group' which completely denies that a person could ever stop addictive tendencies without the aid of this one particular group (the 'anonymous' meetings)

how 'addicts' as they're now labelled ever 'recovered' before AA/NA/OA etc. who knows :P