House Price Crash Forum
sunonmars

We're Clean And Transparent Compared To Churchill's Time,' Says Jack Straw

bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaha, i'm rolling on the floor laughing. The man is in cloud cuckoo land. So says Mr new boiler and council tax fiddler.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...es-scandal.html

Jack Straw attempted to shrug off the MPs' expenses scandal yesterday by insisting Westminster was 'very clean and transparent' and that corruption was worse in Europe.

The Justice Secretary also said Sir Winston Churchill and politicians of previous decades would not have been able to live up to the current 'high standards' if they had been put under the same degree of scrutiny.

Giving evidence to the final public hearing of a review of the Parliamentary expenses system being carried out by the Committee on Standards in Public Life, Mr Straw accepted that the expenses row had made politics 'feel unclean'.

But he said the row was overblown, claiming: 'Some of our Continental colleagues are astonished that we should be getting ourselves into this kind of paddy over a few thousand pounds.'

Mr Straw added: 'Winston Churchill would have been drummed out of the House of Commons if his financial arrangements and dealings with businesses had ever been made public. Some of the things going on even 30 years ago would be eye-watering today.

'There wasn't a golden age - far from it. In the past, people took high standards for granted and they weren't there.'

hes right, in these non smoking times its hard to put up a smokescreen, as Churchill did with his signature cigar.

They could have been even more corrupt. Luckily for us they weren't. Well that's OK then.

They were more corrupt.

The problem with us now is that we attach some kind of value to a human life which was unknown to anybody outside of the poltico and aristocracy ca Churchill's reign.

yep they are corrupt but other countries are more corrupt?

is that what he is saying and does that make it all ok or something

Go and mug an old granny, then use the old 'I could have mugged more' line as a defense. Use Jack Straws remarks as a precedence.

Go and mug an old granny, then use the old 'I could have mugged more' line as a defense. Use Jack Straws remarks as a precedence.

or don't pay your tax with the, the "blears, Hoon and Purnell" defense. Sounds like a sleazy law firm doesn't it.

. 'There wasn't a golden age - far from it. In the past, people took high standards for granted and they weren't there.'

Fair enough, that is true.

Now of course, we don't take high standards for granted, and they ain't there.

Well, that's alright then.

yep they are corrupt but other countries are more corrupt?

is that what he is saying and does that make it all ok or something

What he is trying to say is that UK MP's are all jealous of the multi-millions €'s that get stolen by the 'corrupt ones' in Euro-Parliament Benelux countries - without any investigation!

If MP's really want to be "transparent" - they should all be made to do public 6 monthly lie detector tests!

which is another good thing about the old boy.

Drink didn't do much for Charles Kennedy's career, or (back in the 60's) George Brown's! Drunk politicians, especially if they happen to be Prime Minister, are not good!

Next time I'm had up in front of the beak for thievery, I gonna tell him to stuff it because other people have stolen a lot more than me elsewhere and in the past.

Straw qualified as a barrister too.

Someone famous needs to do that, steal something, anything, a 5p sweet even. Make sure to get lots of publicity, invite the tabloids round if possible. Then demand to go to court, and play a recording of straws testimony. After that state yes i stole "xxxx" but other people have stolen more than me in the past, and on average our continental colleagues are much greater thieves than me.

Drink didn't do much for Charles Kennedy's career, or (back in the 60's) George Brown's! Drunk politicians, especially if they happen to be Prime Minister, are not good!

yes but George Brown used to go on telly drunk, which was even more entertaining! :lol:

One of my favourite Churchill quotes,

"Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

Or some such.

Pitt probably felt the same even if he didn't say so.

I suppose most alcies do. I know I do.