House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

O2 Offers Visa Card To 13 Year Olds

O2 offers Visa card to 13 year olds

The mobile phone company has teamed up with Natwest to offer customers free pre-paid cards

Children as young as 13 will be able to apply for pre-paid Visa cards that can be used online, in shops and at cash machines.

Young customers of O2, the mobile phone company, will be able to apply for the “Load & Go†card, which will be given without parent’s consent – although parents will be told that an application has been made.

The card, which is being launched by O2 in partnership with Natwest, comes with no fees, and users will be sent real-time balance updates to their mobile phone. As with all pre-paid cards, there is no overdraft facility and users can only spend what has been loaded onto the card. Money can be loaded online, or at O2 stores, PayPoint and e-pay outlets.

A spokesman for O2 said: “This offers a much safer alternative to carrying cash around as it uses Chip and Pin security and can be blocked and replaced if stolen or lost, ensuring the money is safe and secure.â€

O2 and Natwest have also launched a similar fee-free pre-paid card for adult O2 customers, called “Cash Managerâ€.

Experts broadly welcomed the move. Joanne Garcia of Confused.com, the comparison website, said: “The Load & Go card will help ensure that financial control is learned from a young age and young people won’t have to worry about carrying and losing cash.â€

Louise Bond uSwitch.com, the comparison webiste, said: “Some pre-paid card providers charge consumers at every available opportunity. These charges include: up to £9.95 to take a card out, a monthly fee of around £4.99, a charge for making cash withdrawals of around £1.50 and, as if this weren’t enough, they actually charge consumers up to 2.95 per cent to load money onto the card.

"These fee free cards could be the perfect solution for people that either struggle to manage a monthly budget or just want to ring-fence their spending money away from the money spent on their mortgage and bills.â€

Sure, one could argue that this is a good form of education and basically eliminates the hassles associated with paper money allowances for your kids.

I do not agree, however. This is pure, morally reprehensible, social engineering via direct marketing to minors. Sick and twisted Britain.

We are doomed.

I am uneasy that this is to be available without parents' knowledge. I think a parent should be able to veto it if they object.

However

I am not very bothered about children having access to plastic payment methods in general - as long as they don't have access to credit. And I am guessing that legally they cannot have access to credit. Anyone know what the law says?

I have to say I'd have loved one when I was younger (about 15+) as I was always having to use my parent's credit cards to order computer bits and pieces over the phone and then having them declined because I forgot to say that the card wasn't in my name.

Would have been nice to have one all of my own that I could have topped up (I was paying my parents back anyway so would have been the same thing really).

Also it does make sense to give younger people the chance to make the savings of shopping online but using their own money.

How can it be both pre-paid and a credit card? This is pretty much the same as a payg mobile. I Don't think its a bad thing as when its gone, its gone, so shouldn't encourage debt.

I am uneasy that this is to be available without parents' knowledge. I think a parent should be able to veto it if they object.

However

I am not very bothered about children having access to plastic payment methods in general - as long as they don't have access to credit. And I am guessing that legally they cannot have access to credit. Anyone know what the law says?

However, I disagree with your arguement of children making plastic payments.

High street shops have to be accountable to whom they sell product, but on-line retailers do not. These children could quite easily end up buying themselves very inappropriate, and possible illegal items off of the net and through mail order.

As I said before, this is plain and simple social engineering.

Children do not need mobile phones and credit cards to be happy.

Too bad marketers have usurped the majority population with this line of thinking.

I think its more or less a total marketing ploy, a card like this for 13 yr olds is akin to a data goldmine of what they are buying, someone will make a mint of selling the information.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

All I had at 13 was a stick and a shoelace.

Gave me hours of Catholic pleasure.

However

A debt obtained by a minor cannot be enforced (for repayment) unless it was incurred to purchase "life necessary" items (which is legal code for food and shelter).

tim

Sure, one could argue that this is a good form of education and basically eliminates the hassles associated with paper money allowances for your kids.

I do not agree, however. This is pure, morally reprehensible, social engineering via direct marketing to minors. Sick and twisted Britain.

We are doomed.

err did you read the article. This is a pre loaded credit card. ie you have to deposit money onto the credit card to spend it. There is no overdraft or credit facility on it. It is basiclaly an alternative to carrying cash although I don't see why you wouldn't just open a bank account and use a switch or visa debit card etc.

err did you read the article. This is a pre loaded credit card. ie you have to deposit money onto the credit card to spend it. There is no overdraft or credit facility on it. It is basiclaly an alternative to carrying cash although I don't see why you wouldn't just open a bank account and use a switch or visa debit card etc.

Err did you not notice that this article was about children? Children being target marketed by O2 and NatWest and Visa, without parental consent?

Do you really want your youngsters toys and candy purchases to be logged by Visa and the issuing banks? What about them buying dodgy stuff on ebay or elsewhere that cash would stop?

Wake up boyo. Don't come here and attempt to make me look like chump.

The age of consent is 16. Drivers licences are issued at 17. Military service at 16 with parents consent. Age of 16 for marriage with parental consent.

Why do you want banks manipulating innocent minds? Why not let kids be kids until at least 16?

Why do we have to pattern and manipulate children into miniature versions of ourselves?

Sick broken society.

Preparation for a cashless society.

I guess it offers a little more security to the kids, I would much rather see them handling cold hard cash though. Handing over twenty pound notes is more difficult than handing over a piece of plastic for some reason..

Chip and PIN doesn't require a signature, so in the event of fraud the onus would be on you to prove you weren't the one at the store who entered the number...

I always use cash\bank transfer, except for a limited number of online store purchases.

We are doomed.

What a great way for 13-18 year olds to pass age verification on adult websites.