House Price Crash Forum
lorna1999

Somebody Doesn't Like Estate Agents In Brighton...

Already posted on the Brighton subforum but now have a link to newspaper article below.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4498459.Ant..._estate_agents/

Anti-capitalist attacks on Brighton estate agents

9:45am Friday 17th July 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »

By Ben Parsons, Crime Reporter »

Organised vandals attacked three estate agents and left an anti-capitalist slogan daubed on a shopfront.

Austin Gray in Dyke Road, Brighton, was defaced with the words “shelter not for profit†and had three windows smashed early on Wednesday morning morning.

Police later linked the vandalism to attacks at two Ditchling Road estate agents, Halls and Maslen, on Tuesday night.

Officers are studying CCTV footage and investigating whether any anti-capitalist groups have become active in the city.

Eight panes of glass were smashed and a vodka bottle full of paint was thrown through a window at Maslen.

Manager Paul Wilkinson said: “Marks on other windows looked like they had been made by someone trying to smash them with a brick lying nearby.â€

At Halls, paint was thrown through smashed panes of glass in the shop door.

Director Stuart Wiseman said he believed the attacks were aimed at shops in prominent spots.

He said: “It seems to be quite organised.â€

Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to call Sussex Police on 0845 6070999 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Wonder if the article will get an interesting comments <_<

House prices in the area while not immune are still pretty obscene, and Brighton has a history of poor quality housing, overcrowding and homelessness.

Oh.

Push the British to the back wall and there's nowhere else to go. Time for an orderly reduction in house prices to stop any further 'terrorist' attacks.

Gordon Brown said today that they bear all the hallmarks of Al Qaeda training in Afghanistan terrorist camps. In a flurry of action to the attacks Bob Ainsworth sells some helicopters to pay for the windows.

Stuff like this really gets to me, but not for the obvious reasons.

I truely am against that sort of behaviour. I don't support it, and yet there's part of me cheering whoever did it to the rafters in the hope they keep it up. It's actually not a nice feeling.

I truely am against that sort of behaviour. I don't support it, and yet there's part of me cheering whoever did it to the rafters in the hope they keep it up. It's actually not a nice feeling.

Me too. I do hope they don't take their anger out on the banks too. <_<

Not that I'm trying to incite trouble of course.

Providing no one gets hurt, I won't be hoping for their arrest any time soon.

exactley, attacking the assets of faceless money grabbing ripoff companies which should be insured by a faceless money grabbing ripoff insurance company is not accpeable but understood :ph34r: as the only thing to get hurt is the proffit of these companies and maybe a couple of days trading at best/worst

its only (metaphorically) what these companies have been doing to us (most cases worse)

when people get hurt for towing the company line then the full force of the law should be brought down on these people

Me too. I do hope they don't take their anger out on the banks too. <_<

Not that I'm trying to incite trouble of course.

I agree. It would be awful if this were to spread into civilised Hove. The EAs might have to stop parking their porsches range rovers cayennes away from the shop front.

Out of work and mad as hell interior decorators?

Pat Mustard, Hove says...

10:44am Fri 17 Jul 09

Apparently, the hit on Austin Gray was nothing to do with anti-capitalism. The pink 'prostitute's bedroom' decor was making their eyes bleed.

Security word: poor taste

Oh pleeeeeease.

How does a bit of paint on your window compare to the ruthlessness of some of these agents?

I've never understood the law. This is more criminal? Give me a break.

exactley, attacking the assets of faceless money grabbing ripoff companies which should be insured by a faceless money grabbing ripoff insurance company is not accpeable but understood :ph34r: as the only thing to get hurt is the proffit of these companies and maybe a couple of days trading at best/worst

its only (metaphorically) what these companies have been doing to us (most cases worse)

when people get hurt for towing the company line then the full force of the law should be brought down on these people

To play "devils advocate" for a second, the EAs that were vandalised were all fairly local, each with only a few offices dotted around town. We're not talking big faceless coorporations here, nor spikey-haired EA franchise w@nkers driving around in minis.

Branch manager Peter Pink boasted he was open for "business as usual" after managing a temporary fix to the window using his kipper tie

Oh pleeeeeease.

How does a bit of paint on your window compare to the ruthlessness of some of these agents?

I've never understood the law. This is more criminal? Give me a break.

The 'bit of paint' is shallow, childish, and ultimately has no effect whatsoever - in short a criminal waste of effort.

If they can't do better than a bunch of primary-school kids they're no use to man or beast. Such pointless behaviour deserves to be laughed at. The people who did it are clearly too incompetent to have a future.

Guest Skinty

Sounds like some university students to me. I remember some of my friends defaced a billboard when I was studying at Sussex university.

As for the impact of it, it's mainly symbolic. Calling the perpetrators anti-capitalist is a way of minimising that symbolism. I am sure that many people will suspect it's someone who is otherwise quite average but who feels strongly about the issue.

I think this act is far more interesting than any anti-capitalist demonstrations during some G8 meeting because the act was motivated by strong feelings rather than some excuse.

The EA Strikes Back :lol:

'andygunner, brighton says...

4:53pm Fri 17 Jul 09

its funny, cos you cant live without us! and i'll have you know i have a-levels! and a brand new car... and my suit isnt cheap, the fat commissions allow me to buy my suits from Profile! Moan any more and we'll just put our fees up again!'

:lol::lol:

its funny, cos you cant live without us! and i'll have you know i have a-levels! and a brand new car... and my suit isnt cheap, the fat commissions allow me to buy my suits from Profile! Moan any more and we'll just put our fees up again!'

I make it ten errors of punctuation or sentence construction in two lines. Andy's certainly found the right trade...

Can't live without you, sorry estate agents aren't necessary what will you do when Tesco's and Asda get in on the house selling game. Its coming and I don't think you are going to like it one little bit.

I also wouldn't gloat too much as it is paint today, tomorrow could be petrol bombs.

The Argus readers comments are always good fun:

Thats kind of like saying that a woman who has recently become a single mother because her husband has left her/died/decided his name is now susan and moves to san francisco, should not have had kids in the first place because she now needs help to raise them? erm...

Sounds like some university students to me. I remember some of my friends defaced a billboard when I was studying at Sussex university.

As for the impact of it, it's mainly symbolic. Calling the perpetrators anti-capitalist is a way of minimising that symbolism. I am sure that many people will suspect it's someone who is otherwise quite average but who feels strongly about the issue.

I think this act is far more interesting than any anti-capitalist demonstrations during some G8 meeting because the act was motivated by strong feelings rather than some excuse.

Yes, well spotted. Discredit them as unemployed trouble-makers, and it dulls the genuine message I believe they were trying to get across.

The 'bit of paint' is shallow, childish, and ultimately has no effect whatsoever - in short a criminal waste of effort.

If they can't do better than a bunch of primary-school kids they're no use to man or beast. Such pointless behaviour deserves to be laughed at. The people who did it are clearly too incompetent to have a future.

Bloody hell - don't tell me there's anarchists living in Brighton. Don't tell Schnews, for G-d's sake !

:lol::lol::lol:

I remember some of my friends defaced a billboard when I was studying at Sussex university.

Gasp! You scoundrels!