House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Firefox - Why Is There The Update V3.0.11 But Also New V3.5

??

[i'm clueless]

and is this really true? vv

3-riskdays-security.png

An independent study shows that, in 2006, IE users were vulnerable to online threats 78% of the time. Firefox users? Only 2%.

When Are You at Risk

“At risk” defined as publicly available exploits with no patch. Source: “Internet Explorer users Unsafe for 284 Days in 2006”

Brian Krebs, Washington Post, 1/4/2007

3.5 is better in general, but, as we've just seen, the changes (e.g. I believe they did a major rewrite of the Javascript engine?) that have gone into it have introduced a lot of potential for security vulnerabilities. You might want to wait a few more revisions until the worst of them have been found and fixed.

P.S. there's also a nasty bug in 3.5 with some sites where the Javascript will get into a loop and lock up the browser until it finally realises that it's spent the last thirty seconds stuck in a loop and gives up.

3.5 is better in general, but, as we've just seen, the changes (e.g. I believe they did a major rewrite of the Javascript engine?) that have gone into it have introduced a lot of potential for security vulnerabilities. You might want to wait a few more revisions until the worst of them have been found and fixed.

P.S. there's also a nasty bug in 3.5 with some sites where the Javascript will get into a loop and lock up the browser until it finally realises that it's spent the last thirty seconds stuck in a loop and gives up.

thx Mark, i was wondering why there was the option to update the older one or download a smaller file being the newer 3.5.1 ! now i know why.

they say 3.5.1 is faster to display a page than 3.x which i think it is, but i will hold off using where security might be an issue just in case ...!

thx for the heads up :)