House Price Crash Forum

What Do You Want And What Will You Pay For It ?

HOLA441

Following on from the other thread about where you'd like to live......

There are a lot of people on here who talk in numbers. So, not disclosing your budget or anything vulgar like that, post up what's for sale that you think you'd be happy living in and would want to buy AND what you think is the right price to pay for it (that you'd be happy paying).

It would go towards putting a bit of sense on the bald 'how much do you think prices will fall in the next nanosecond/week/year polls' ....

HOLA442
Following on from the other thread about where you'd like to live......

There are a lot of people on here who talk in numbers. So, not disclosing your budget or anything vulgar like that, post up what's for sale that you think you'd be happy living in and would want to buy AND what you think is the right price to pay for it (that you'd be happy paying).

It would go towards putting a bit of sense on the bald 'how much do you think prices will fall in the next nanosecond/week/year polls' ....

Would be happy with a 2 bed Victorian terrace where I live (south east) for £130,000. Currently a couple on the market for £170,000 - £180,000. That said I think (based on rental income) that's a bit overpriced.

At that price the mortage would be a comfortable salary multiple and my savings would represent a decent deposit.

Of course if I can do better I will.

Edited by Young Goat

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

For me, £140k for a 2 bed end-terrace or cottage style in East Anglia (so commutable to Liverpool Street) sounds reasonable. E.g.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-22324345.html

This one's £170k - so about another 18% fall. I doubt if the vendor would go for more than 5% off given the current spin / climate.

HOLA448

Our aim:

3 bedroom house (semi detached or detached), not new or less than 10 year old (don't want to leave in a cupboard), hallway (cannot stand entering my house deirectly in the lounge), Kitchen diner or independant dining.

Something that needs a bit of decoration to make it warmer, small garden (just enought for little BBQ) and more importantly spacious lounge

max 30mn drive from Bath

Want to pay 120000 for the moment they are still at around 150000 / 170000

When just before spring bounce 2010. I know I know........

HOLA449

Small two-bed terrace, north east Hampshire or west Surrey, willing to pay about the same as rent assuming a longish term repayment mortgage, 20ish percent deposit, and 6%-7% interest rates. Assuming nothing actually changes for the next two years, the maths in terms of repayments (by virtue of a larger deposit) work out in a few years time anyway, so whilst I'd like to see further falls, and expect to see further falls, I don't need further falls.

(Oh, edit to add... doesn't need to be genuinely handy for London)

Edited by Moo

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am looking for a 1930's 3 bed semi in a very specific area (5 roads) in Surbiton. Would be willing to pay £400k which would be a 40% drop from the peak price of £675k.

The problem is that these houses are so rare that one has not come on in the last year or so to ascertain progress. Plenty of them in cheaper parts of town, though

I was not encouraged to see this much smaller house come on at virtually peak price and go under offer straight away:

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetails....mp;pid=17999437

HOLA4412
I am looking for a 1930's 3 bed semi in a very specific area (5 roads) in Surbiton.

That really is a remarkably specific requirement!

My requirement is correspondingly vague: I'd like a house in which I could play a drumkit either in London or within reasonable commute.

(My drumkit is pretty loud and I don't like imposing myself too much on neighbours so I think in practice that means a detached house.)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
That really is a remarkably specific requirement!

It is, but it is forced upon me in many ways. I want the specific location, and these roads consist of perhaps 75% flats, 10% Victorian terraces, 10% 30s semis and 5% large Victorian houses.

I won't be able to afford the large houses even if prices halve from here, so the semi is the only option! It would do for me, but I suspect there is a long way to go to £400k.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Does another circa 30% over next 2 years sound crazy?????

Not crazy, I wouldn't have thought.

My entry on this thread reflects what I could reasonably afford to pay for a house rather than what I think they will actually come down to. Hopefully, the two will end up the same.

HOLA4418
Do you mind me asking what value you put on all the work they've clearly had done since 2003/4 ? Or are you saying you want it for that, WITH all the work done...... ?

Sorry, I must have this wrong it last sold in 2005 for 825k. I am sure a friend looked at it in 2003 or there abouts and it was at 500k. Anyway by the time this crash is over I would pay around 500k for it, including the work. It is on a very busy road.

HOLA4419

I want a 3 or 4 bed semi/detached in the Altrincham/Hale area for £350K.

Happy to do a bit of work on it but would expect that to be relfected in the price (yeah right!).

I want a big lounge and or ktichen/diner.

Still waiting for such a property to priced according to the reality that I live in.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Im after a victorian Semi detached (will consider terrace if i can drive a car into the back garden) 3 Bed decent size garden (mainly looking shirley Southampton) separate dining and living room, ideally somethnig that needs doing up a bit,

10 years ago priced at £130kish depending on condition/modernisation that has taken place, priced in 2007 at £300k+ some going for £250k+ (one or 2 lower than that) when they get back to £150-200ish that would be acheivable on a 2.5 to 3x combined mortgage with a decent deposit.

so a 30%+ drop would be right up my street (pardon the pun)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Some areas yes and some areas no.... Location x3
agreed entirely. some will plummet, some are already stable(ish).

Our main driver on location (north or south) is whether we want to keep on working properly or not or whether I want to do something completely different (with consequently no mortgage).

If ours (not far from you as you know) remains stable in price, then I'd want to be able to do a 'straight swap' (chucking in some cash) in 2-3 years and be able to hopefully live totally mortgage free - then I can afford to take some risk (and be a little more 'interested' in going to 'work'/doing what I want).

HOLA4424
Would be happy with a 2 bed Victorian terrace where I live (south east) for £130,000. Currently a couple on the market for £170,000 - £180,000. That said I think (based on rental income) that's a bit overpriced.

At that price the mortage would be a comfortable salary multiple and my savings would represent a decent deposit.

Of course if I can do better I will.

The type of 2 -bed Victorian terrace you seek is what I currently own. I am lucky and have no mortgage, so I'm hoping the price falls to about 60k, then you can buy it off me for a bargain and I'll trade up to a nice 4 bed that should have declined to about 100k by then. Everyone's happy, apart from the bloke who owned a 4-bed previously valued at around 400k. But as my topic about where HPCers stand on capitalising on others misery shows, no one here really cares about that poor mug :lol:

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4425
The thread is an interesting barometer of people’s further HPC expectations.

We seem to have shed the tinfoilers 50% +

Does another circa 30% over next 2 years sound crazy?????

4 bed detached + land in South East and I positively won't pay more than £75,000 :lol:

On a serious note I don't think (in real terms) 50% + is tin foil hat territory; it's not guaranteed but a reasonable argument can be made for falls up to about 60%.