House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bogbrush

Registration Mania Grips The State Machine

It's only illustrative, but what the Hell are they up to wanting a famous author to register as a non-paedophile"? £64 for Philip Pulman to be allowed to kids about the books he wrote and they read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8153251.stm

The machinery seems quite out of control now; there is a policy to abandon any sense of an assumption of innocence and to rely only on absurd registration schemes to counter "risk".

This is the brainchild of a sad, limited person - the type who find their natural home in state regulatory functions. God knows what further intrusion they plan.

And they are so proud of it..

A Home Office spokesman said: "The UK already has one of the most advanced systems in the world for carrying out checks on all those who work in positions of trust with children and vulnerable adults.

"From October this year the new Vetting and Barring Scheme will ensure these regulations are even more rigorous."

The Home Office says various new regulations will have meant that more than five million more jobs and voluntary posts - including most NHS positions - will be subject to checks.

Guest eight
It's only illustrative, but what the Hell are they up to wanting a famous author to register as a non-paedophile"? £64 for Philip Pulman to be allowed to kids about the books he wrote and they read.

You think it's ridiculous to suggest that somebody would write a whole series of prizewinning and critically acclaimed novels just as a slender pretext to spending a minimal amount of time with supervised children? Not a paedo yourself are you?

eight

Sounds highly likely that I'm going to be asked to pay £64 to prove my "safety" in to order to be allowed to continue as musical director for the children's drama group I rehearse with twice weekly.

Will let you know what happens!

For balance (in the light of a recent inevitable event at a school):- All parents must register their children as being attentive, respectful, & incapable of goading any adult to violence?

The machinery seems quite out of control now; there is a policy to abandon any sense of an assumption of innocence and to rely only on absurd registration schemes to counter "risk".

This is the brainchild of a sad, limited person - the type who find their natural home in state regulatory functions. God knows what further intrusion they plan.

Well put bb.

I thankfully spend much time now in a country where such nonsense does not exist.

Good on him going on record to tell us what nonsense it is!

Not so very long ago, that kind of person would've been in (or aspired to) the pulpit. Now ...

Sounds highly likely that I'm going to be asked to pay £64 to prove my "safety" in to order to be allowed to continue as musical director for the children's drama group I rehearse with twice weekly.

You mean you don't already?

Wonder if I'll need to register to attend (as audience) the concert I went to yesterday evening, which included performances by a childrens drama group.

course, registering, paying and getting a CRB check proves you are not on the CRB register.

proves nothing else at all.

Like the airbag tester light on cars....just proves the bulb works on the dash.

Wonder if I'll need to register to attend (as audience) the concert I went to yesterday evening, which included performances by a childrens drama group.

Yeah, and you take a camera and all Hell will let loose!

Yes you will have to register as an attentive member of the audience who won't cough throughout the performance.

So let me get this straight, you are required to register to show that you are not a pedo; those that don't cough up the £64 are...?

The machinery seems quite is out of control now; there is a policy to abandon any sense of an assumption of innocence and to rely only on absurd registration schemes to counter "risk".

What a bizarre state of affairs.

The child protection issue aside, I'm expecting a lot of these revenue generating registration schemes to come along now.

The state is completely out of control and needs cutting back.

Guest eight
There is seriously an indication that forum moderators will need to be CRB checked on internet forums which do not have an over-18 restriction in order to counter ` grooming ` ...

Not quite sure how that is going to be administered though.

http://www.laurencekaye.com/ipaper/website...heir_moderators

Is there a word for when you get a total disconnect between something potentiallly happening and the measures taken to prevent it?

This is like - there's a burglary, so we say that everybody who wants to walk down that street has to carry a permit saying they're not a convicted burglar. So me and my mate walk down that street, and I get arrested for not checking that he had a permit. Even though we both have one and neither of us had any intention of burgling any of the houses.

eight

Is there a word for when you get a total disconnect between something potentiallly happening and the measures taken to prevent it?

This is like - there's a burglary, so we say that everybody who wants to walk down that street has to carry a permit saying they're not a convicted burglar. So me and my mate walk down that street, and I get arrested for not checking that he had a permit. Even though we both have one and neither of us had any intention of burgling any of the houses.

eight

Gun clubs got closed for everyone because one nutcase ran riot in Dunblane. This is how it is when you can invoke Safety to do anything; nobody dare speak against it for fear of being branded as a paedo or murderer. It's how the left has stifled all debate.

PC: 'scuse me sir - is this your vehicle?

Hapless Motorist: yes it is

PC: I just want to check you have no convictions for any driving offence.

HM: Fine, please do so.

PC: That'll be £64 please

HM: What for?

PC: The fee for checking that you haven't had a motoring conviction

HM: Are you mad?

PC: Just doing my job....sir

Guest Skinty
Yet another tax!

I'm beginning to think that this is it. Labour have an army of public sector workers, they are trying to create beaurocracy to keep them occupied. Or to be blunt, they are creating non-jobs.

Enhanced disclosure checks can't be transferred to other activities. You need to get a fresh one each time no matter how recently it is since your last one.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
You think it's ridiculous to suggest that somebody would write a whole series of prizewinning and critically acclaimed novels just as a slender pretext to spending a minimal amount of time with supervised children? Not a paedo yourself are you?

eight

I prefer to work as a fairground gypsy helping young boys onto the merry-go-round when I feel those terrible urges.

As a condition of being allowed to Windsurf at Calshot in Hampshire, I have to be prepared to undergo a CRB check because the activities centre hosts adventure training for kids. I guess the Council are worried about being sued if something were to happen.

When we allow the intellectually lame, the weak and the lazy to run government, why are we surprised by the results?

Will let you know what happens!

For clarity: I only mean that I assume this from reading the article. The drama group haven't said anything about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8153251.stm

Mmm good description of a type of person I seem to encounter a lot.

Seems to me that there are two types of worker:

1. "I work hard and do something"

2. "I work hard and do something pointless"

There was a guy being interviewed on radio 4 about this at circa 5:30 today (a writer I think). He basically said it was justified, 'if it saves just one child from being abused'. An argument that could be used to justify just about anything 'if it saves one <insert special person/group> life'.