House Price Crash Forum

Jobs Are Coming Home

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I love the smell of protectionism in the morning.

Edit: So what's going to happen to all those Tata Nanos that nobody can now afford to buy?

Edited by Red Kharma

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Protectionism is underrated, well this is a subjective opinion on my side. I'm interested to know why people think protectionism is bad?

I agree, I'd sooner have our semi-skilled or unskilled population working on a production line, even if the wages wouldn't stretch to imported asparagus in December or the latest gizmo from Japan. Yes, the current situation means we have a lot of cheap imports, but this means we have a lot of idle hands who can get up to no good...

HOLA447

I don`t think protectionism has anything to do with it - more like ( as the company I work for has recently discovered ) it`s not particularly cheap anymore and any cost savings are easily outweighed by the absence of effective loss-control caused through having entire Depts. 4,000 miles away ...

Edited by Wires 74

HOLA448

I never saw so much deception than what I saw in the outsourcing boom.

There was always this naïve approach business took towards outsourcing companies and their consultants in that they would save them money without fail.

Ask a consultant to find work to outsource and without fail he’ll find some.

The problem being the cost benefits were usually conjured from thin air by a middle management/consultants, obligated to show these cost benefits to impress higher management. Even when a project was known to be pointless it always somehow ended up dressed in success. Quite amazing to see.

Even the managers of the department that were outsourced were asked to provide critical data to show this success which usually descended into them creating workload that never existed. Fictitious and blown up work was handed over to teams around the world where after 6 months later you’d discover these teams sat around twiddling their thumbs for much of the day working off documentation that’s completely incorrect.

HOLA449
Protectionism is underrated, well this is a subjective opinion on my side. I'm interested to know why people think protectionism is bad?

Ok, this isn't strictly speaking protectionism, it appears to be something about improving service or some such other nonsense.

I'm with on protectionism (or anti-globalisation). On the whole I'd rather someone I don't know or care about in India or China loses their job and someone in my family or in my road keeps theirs. I couldn't care less about some marginal loss (perceived) in productivity or smaller return on capital or whatever other reason there may be for globalisation.

If it's 'them' or 'us' (and it is) I'd rather it was 'us'. Unfashionable and inefficient as that may be.

HOLA4410
Ok, this isn't strictly speaking protectionism, it appears to be something about improving service or some such other nonsense.

I'm with on protectionism (or anti-globalisation). On the whole I'd rather someone I don't know or care about in India or China loses their job and someone in my family or in my road keeps theirs. I couldn't care less about some marginal loss (perceived) in productivity or smaller return on capital or whatever other reason there may be for globalisation.

If it's 'them' or 'us' (and it is) I'd rather it was 'us'. Unfashionable and inefficient as that may be.

Generally now Indian wages are rising the service is better and about the same price in the UK, so it becomes a no brainer. It also enables SMB's like us to compete who create the jobs for recovery on the basis that the massive corps are always slimming down and the very small companies often do not get to critical mass.

The whole outsourcing thing was a chimera - not to say it doesn't work we do it but from the UK creating British Jobs.

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

With the fighting in Afghanistan spilling over into Pakistan and destabilizing the region things do not look good for India. If The United States army should enter Pakistan with a large military force it will weaken India's economy in a big way. They say money is a coward, it runs from civil unrest.

HOLA4413

There's a myth that outsourcing to China/India lowers your cost base. Outsource to China and your share price will go up because you're lowering costs and increasing profits. So all CEO's want to do it.

But there's a catch. It's fine for products like washing up bowls (low tech, low involvement) and mobile phones (high volume) but awful for high tech low volume products (the setup costs outweigh the savings) and products where maintaining close control over component/material quality (eg aircraft components) is important.

Of course, outsourcing to China gets your middle management loads of trips to the far east (I wonder why they like it over there so much ;) ) and keeps consultants in business.

Personally I like the approach that a high tech/low volume business I know did. Rent a crap warehouse out there for peanuts and get a couple of Chinese guys to sit inside it smoking fags all day. That way you can claim you have a manufacturing base in China and keep the City/investors happy while doing the real work over here.

HOLA4414
100% agree.

Plus it must make sense to make our stuff here on 2 counts:

1. Robots are robots wherever they are.

2. If anyone wants to be serious about 'green' surely we should make more stuff locally.

(by the way I have two tests for when the government is serious about saving energy...firstly they turn off the lights in their offices; secondly they'll start to turn off the street lights, we're lit up like a damned Christmas tree).

One of my first tasks in my first week of working life (nearly 30 years ago) was to go out and find SOS (Switch Off and Save - for all you youngsters) stickers to put on all the office light switches (that was at a large bank). It was pretty much all downhill after that. :lol:

HOLA4415
Rent a crap warehouse out there for peanuts and get a couple of Chinese guys to sit inside it smoking fags all day. That way you can claim you have a manufacturing base in China and keep the City/investors happy while doing the real work over here.

Can't you use British labour for this?.

My uncle for example. He was off work once for six months with a broken Thermos.

HOLA4416
"Do you want the good news, or the bad news?"

"Go on. The good news..."

"Two thousand call centre jobs are coming back from India.."

"Wow! Great! What's the bad news?"

" They're paying Bangalore rates..."

The white collars should be very very afraid :o

Recent example from newspaper:

5 yr qualified Indian lawyer (UK equivalent qual) £1,000 per month

5 yr qualified UK lawyer (top London firm) £7,000 per month

Newly qualified Indian lawyer (UK equivalent qual) £500 per month

Newly qualifiedUK lawyer (top London firm) £3,000 per month