House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Old Age - The New 'heaven On Earth'

The other day we were fed the absurd and totally unsubstantiated statistic that 25% of children born today can expect to live to ove 100!

The BBC are trailing a programme heavily about the positive virtues of old age. We all know that 60 has been the new 40 for some time now and I'm all for a healthy, active and interesting old-age, I hope I have that experience.

BUT... the subtle change seems to be that old age has suddenly, in the last week or two, become something we should actually aspire to - a bit like religions that say that suffering in this life will be offset by an afterlife in Heaven / Paradise or wherever.

And because this new type of desirable old-age is so worth waiting for, why, wouldn't it be great if we could all work to 70 or 75 so we don't vegetate from the age of 65! And that £20,000 downpayment for lifetime care isn't such a bad deal when it comes with a guarantee that you'll live to 90!

I'm wondering if there has been an insidious plan to plant bits positive spin with people who will get it into the media as a way to try and make people feel better.

Roll out the Carousel. Milk and honey for all over 30s

Edited by Bloo Loo

The other day we were fed the absurd and totally unsubstantiated statistic that 25% of children born today can expect to live to ove 100!

The BBC are trailing a programme heavily about the positive virtues of old age. We all know that 60 has been the new 40 for some time now and I'm all for a healthy, active and interesting old-age, I hope I have that experience.

BUT... the subtle change seems to be that old age has suddenly, in the last week or two, become something we should actually aspire to - a bit like religions that say that suffering in this life will be offset by an afterlife in Heaven / Paradise or wherever.

And because this new type of desirable old-age is so worth waiting for, why, wouldn't it be great if we could all work to 70 or 75 so we don't vegetate from the age of 65! And that £20,000 downpayment for lifetime care isn't such a bad deal when it comes with a guarantee that you'll live to 90!

I'm wondering if there has been an insidious plan to plant bits positive spin with people who will get it into the media as a way to try and make people feel better.

To have the state only steal £20K is a bargain. Just think of how much they steal throughout your lifetime with the carrot of a state pension to look forward to. If you could pay the £20K and they feck off and leave you alone would be a good deal. Trouble is, all good extortionists always come back for more.

People are in general living longer due to general improvements in material living standards and better health care. There is a limit, however, to how far this can go based on current knowledge of the human genome.

This may be addressed at some point in the future, but for the next thirty years it's probably safe to assume that there will be no way to counter the degenerative effects of age on cell reproduction and repair.

People are in general living longer due to general improvements in material living standards and better health care. There is a limit, however, to how far this can go based on current knowledge of the human genome.

This may be addressed at some point in the future, but for the next thirty years it's probably safe to assume that there will be no way to counter the degenerative effects of age on cell reproduction and repair.

we need a few more accidents every hour.

or a Death race 2010.

This has always puzzled me.

One of my grand parents, who grew up in the deprivation of Salford back-to-backs at the turn of the century, had several siblings die in childhood and had a lifetime of hard physical labouring lived to be 91.

Another great aunt spend her entire adult life living almost exclusively off daily gin-martinis and fags and lived to be 92 and never did a days paid work.

These 'average' life spans, and the reasons given for them, seem to be total fabrication.

I thought that this generation of children will be the first to die before their parents because of a crappy diet and lack of exercise.

One of my grand parents, who grew up in the deprivation of Salford back-to-backs at the turn of the century, had several siblings die in childhood and had a lifetime of hard physical labouring lived to be 91.

Another great aunt spend her entire adult life living almost exclusively off daily gin-martinis and fags and lived to be 92 and never did a days paid work.

These 'average' life spans, and the reasons given for them, seem to be total fabrication.

Check the actuarial tables at the Government Actuary's Department for actual data concerning how long people live.

Currently only 16% of men in England make it to 90, 10% are already gone by 60, less than 1% make it to 100.

Back in 1980 only 5% of men made it to 90, 17% were gone by 60, less than 1% made it to 100.

Your great aunt and grandad must have been pretty tough stuff.

(Edited to add 1980 figures)

Edited by No Teacher - No Guru

The natural biological lifespan of healthy humans hasn't changed since before Roman times and probably from much earlier.

What has changed the life expectancy figures is the decreasing number of people who are carted off by illnesses or suffer from condidtions that shorten their lives.

Edited by blankster

There is no way in hell that future generations of mankind will have this type of longevity, not unless our DNA gets fvcked with; in a positive way. The amount of damage we are doing to ourselves eating processed frankenfoods, immersing ourselves in electromagnetic and ionizing radiation, and bathing the planet in toxicity is shocking. Most of the 20-30 something’s can look forward to a quick exit due to the extreme chemically induced degeneration of our bodies and the associated obesity. Oh, and don't forget about natures own super bugs who will grow steadily more resistant to our best efforts at poisoning them.

Nature made us near perfect machines IMO, and tinkering with this design will only cause grim consequences for the future of our race. Just look at the difference in the last 25 years. I remember it being odd seeing a fat kid on a school play ground, and mostly likely it was a genetic health issue. Nowadays finding a skinny fit kid is equally as odd.

I thought the BBC was pushing this unverified factoid to scare us all into thinking that £20,000 for guaranteed care was actually a bargain if we're living so long - there was no other justification for the coincidence of announcements by govt and BBC - business as usual these days.

you've actually hit on one of the main reasons average lifespans increased so much in the last century - reduction of child mortality has a lot to do with it.

Guest X-QUORK
Maybe we should be allowed to take off 20 years in the middle then work to death instead.

VMR.

(nicked from Dave Gormans Genius)

That first Monday back at work after 20 years off is going to be a tough mother.