House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

Should Governments Freeze All Non Front Line Posts

Having worked in a burgeoning 'strategy' environment, I can't see the point of most of it. Of course I would go back to it if I could, but I have to ask, how many 'great minds' does it take to consult on how to change a light bulb?

This should have been a poll, but the poll is not working so the choices are:

• Governments should freeze all strategic and senior management posts
  • Government should freeze all posts including front line service posts
  • There is no need for a freeze
  • Governments should increase their staff to tackle unemployment

You decide. I am for freezing strategic and senior management, and it is meaningless unless it extends to local government

Edited by Elizabeth

Bounce.

I think the goverment needs some new ideas to tackle this economy in decline. Freezing all non essential (non public facing) public sector posts is something they should consider. It would certainly take the pinch off the public purse and open up the way for tax cuts, which are desperately needed to feed the consumer economy now that 'credit card days' are over.

Also, why don't they just for once try putting some faith in the British public to spend their own way out of recession and live their own lives rather than pumping the consumer so that a new breed of autocrats - the public sector manager, can huddle in groups to pat themselves on their collective backs about their 'brilliant ideas' (generally nicked from forgotten recent history) to manage the ever burgeoning army of unwashed and unemployed masses? They are SO KIND to help the less fortunate, but I would rather have my tax out of their pocket!

(and on a footnote, you have no idea how unpopular it is to say 'I am a tax payer and I have a responsibility to deliver the best value I can for tax payers' in local government. There is a long greasy grey silence and a couple of grey scowls, before they start, shake out the unexpected nits from their hair, and return to the important thing, which is hiring consultants on taxpayer's money (which they seem to think is their own personal project trough) to devise clever schemes that they can take credit for. I've always felt like telling them to pay for their own hobbies!)

Edited by Elizabeth

Labour should leave being a ******* to the Tories.

Which is precisely what they're doing.

The time for saving England will come after the election, when the Tory voters are asked to pay more and, essentially, refuse. This will leave 50% of the population being asked to carry 10% of the population, who have their feet up in the first class lounge, as well as a further 25% of the population, who are pensioners and children, and 15% of the population who are chavs.

At that point, it's going to get interesting.

You decide. I am for freezing strategic and senior management, and it is meaningless unless it extends to local government

Is it me, or are all options yes. Where is the slash these sort of non jobs by 90%?

Would do you mean, they've been frozen for years...

I suppose it depends which part of the public sector you are talking about.

It makes no sense to talk about it as monolithic (thats a concession to the antis actually).

Labour should leave being a ******* to the Tories.

Which is precisely what they're doing.

I don't quite understand. Labour has been the biggest snout in trough, 2 legs good government I have ever seen. They have done quite well at the a'hole stakes and I can't see how the Tories could do much better. This country has the worst consumer laws I have ever seen, and the most entrenched priviledge. The inequities in wealth distribution has actually polarised during labour's reign. They give away to corporates and dis ordinary consumers. When the banks are falling down they are 'too big to fail' and pay money in a way that allows the bank to channel it straight back to their fat cats, but when ordinary people are losing jobs they have no response. The banks should have been let fall and that money should have gone into consumer pockets. Even some sort of attempt to address the individual mortgages that were failing would have been a better way to go about it. They harrass people for petty issues such as putting a piece of junk mail into a public bin on the way to the car but don't tackle genuine bad behavour like guns and knives amongst kids (apparently that is too sensitive for the little petals). They really are crap and they are so busy hiring bureaucrats to consult that they never have any front line staff to deliver services. They don't train their front line staff except in 'management' so they never have the skills... it just goes on.

I have a friend who works in the public sector, in a building in Westminster; except he doesn't - he was taken on as a "consultant" because his particular department (I won't say which one) has had a hiring freeze since the Gershon report. He tells me:

a) there are hundreds of "consultants", literally; and

B.....) when someone left quite recently, he was asked to go permanent (on half the money). He said no as he wanted flexibility to take his holiday when he wanted (and liked the money and wasn't bothered about the lack of joob security. Another of the "consultants" said yes, and was immediately replaced with another "consultant"

I would love to know how many such "consultants" exist in the public sector, what they cost and whether they are included in or additional to the 6m public sector workers admitted to by the government.

Edit to get rid of an auto emoticon thing

Edited by bagsos

Is it me, or are all options yes. Where is the slash these sort of non jobs by 90%?

I tried to add a 'increase the public sector to fight unemployment' but it didn't work.

Actually I can't agree with slashing for instance child protection workers or teachers. I think we should have more of them, but about 1/2 to 3/4 of the rest could go. Then they might have to start relying on the people who are doing the jobs to come up with the ideas about how to make it work better, rather than coming up with 'brilliant ideas' that don't work and manipulating them a million times before they come up with something else that doesn't work.

Would do you mean, they've been frozen for years...

I suppose it depends which part of the public sector you are talking about.

It makes no sense to talk about it as monolithic (thats a concession to the antis actually).

Actually the only jobs that are frozen are the ones that actually do the work. The rest are burgeoning.

I have a friend who works in the public sector, in a building in Westminster; except he doesn't - he was taken on as a "consultant" because his particular department (I won't say which one) has had a hiring freeze since the Gershon report. He tells me:

a) there are hundreds of "consultants", literally; and

B.....) when someone left quite recently, he was asked to go permanent (on half the money). He said no as he wanted flexibility to take his holiday when he wanted (and liked the money and wasn't bothered about the lack of joob security. Another of the "consultants" said yes, and was immediately replaced with another "consultant"

I would love to know how many such "consultants" exist in the public sector, what they cost and whether they are included in or additional to the 6m public sector workers admitted to by the government.

Edit to get rid of an auto emoticon thing

That was my inspiration. They have just frozen the NSW public sector, and I was shocked that for the first time ever, I have seen consultants and temps included in the freeze. Somebody has their eyes open here. But Maggie Thatcher's government just about single handedly invented the consultant, and Labour in Britian is just a poor Tory apology, so I doubt it will ever happen in Britain.

I voted All strategic and high level posts should be frozen.

I am a local authorityfrontline professional, i do two jobs on one salary. Just lost a frontline officer (a very good one at that) only to be replaced by a new manager, who incidently didn't have the statutory qualification (its takes five years) and had been out of the profession for the last five years. Jobs for the boyos as we say round these parts

Bonkers

Edited by superdez