House Price Crash Forum
copydude

Amazon Retail. Falling Through The Floor.

Worker falls through four floors at Amazon's 'boost for jobs' showpiece.

BBC Wed 16 April

A contractor has fallen through four floors at the largest UK warehouse of online retailer, Amazon.

Mid and Mid and West Wales Fire Service said they were called to the site in Swansea just after 1230 BST.

The man had fallen through floorboards on the fourth floor and continued to fall through flooring until he landed on the ground floor.

The ambulance service said the man was taken to Morriston Hospital and his injuries were not life-threatening.

From an earlier report:

A distribution centre for the online retailer Amazon covering an area the size of 10 football pitches has been officially opened in Swansea Bay.

The site in Jersey Marine is expected to create 1,200 full-time jobs over five years, and 1,500 seasonal jobs.

First Minister Rhodri Morgan was at the opening and he called it a "powerful shot in the arm" for the Welsh economy. However, the Unite union has warned against Wales relying on service sector jobs.

The project is in the Neath Port Talbot Council area and its planning involved the local authority and the Welsh Assembly Government.

It was planned and completed in 16 months, from the first discussions to the opening.

Hmmmmm.

Worker falls through four floors at Amazon's 'boost for jobs' showpiece.

BBC Wed 16 April

A contractor has fallen through four floors at the largest UK warehouse of online retailer, Amazon.

Mid and Mid and West Wales Fire Service said they were called to the site in Swansea just after 1230 BST.

The man had fallen through floorboards on the fourth floor and continued to fall through flooring until he landed on the ground floor.

The ambulance service said the man was taken to Morriston Hospital and his injuries were not life-threatening.

Hmmmmm.

I've been to an Amazon distribution centre. Badly organised, unecessarily lavish use of space and execessive staffing levels was my view.

I understand it used to be the ACME factory.

Might end up on youtube. There's always someone pointing a camera phone at something these days.

I've been to an Amazon distribution centre. Badly organised, unecessarily lavish use of space and execessive staffing levels was my view.

Badly organised eh? Well, anyone who has read my posts over the years will know how cynical I am about most giant retail outfits but I can only judge on empirical evidence in this case.

In the last three years I have ordered a large range of items from Amazon UK, from computer parts, to books, music scores, DVD's, cameras and all sorts of other stuff. Not one item failed to arrive. Nine out of ten of them arrived next day, and of those, even the ones I ordered at more or less 5 pm arrived, neatly packaged, at 8.30 am the next day, including on a Saturday.

No other online retailer has come close. So what do you see as badly organised that I see as outstandingly well organised and a totally reliable service? And it's not just me. Everyone I know has a similar experience. Credit given where credit due.

You say "excessive" staffing levels. Maybe in fact the levels are just right, and contribute to the fact that I get my goods on time and with a flawless service.

Here's a snapshot of reviews. Seems they all agree with me: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews105979.html

Edited by VacantPossession

www.thewelshecho.co.uk

Having fallen through four floors of the Amazon warehouse in Swansea,

Ed Guttersball had, however, not arrived at the basement empty handed.

Speaking from the waiting room of the A&E in Swansea General, Ed told

our reporter, "Well I collected the Slum Dog Millionaire DVD on the top floor,

fetched a copy of Stephen Fry's autobiography on the second, caught a handy

bottle of after shave on the third and managed to grab a birthday card for my

sister on the fourth."

Ed Guttersball is 43.

Edited by PotNoodle

Badly organised eh? Well, anyone who has read my posts over the years will know how cynical I am about most giant retail outfits but I can only judge on empirical evidence in this case.

In the last three years I have ordered a large range of items from Amazon UK, from computer parts, to books, music scores, DVD's, cameras and all sorts of other stuff. Not one item failed to arrive. Nine out of ten of them arrived next day, and of those, even the ones I ordered at more or less 5 pm arrived, neatly packaged, at 8.30 am the next day, including on a Saturday.

No other online retailer has come close. So what do you see as badly organised that I see as outstandingly well organised and a totally reliable service? And it's not just me. Everyone I know has a similar experience. Credit given where credit due.

You say "excessive" staffing levels. Maybe in fact the levels are just right, and contribute to the fact that I get my goods on time and with a flawless service.

Here's a snapshot of reviews. Seems they all agree with me: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews105979.html

Got to agree with everything you say - my experience with Amazon over the years has been very good - can't think what the poster might be getting at here...

+1 - they are rarely beaten on price either. Have spent many an hour searching for cheaper goods elsewhere, only to end up back where I started at the Amazon order page...

Like most successful companies and modern gadgets, there is always someone on HPC ready to give it a kicking !

(Some numpty on here the other day trying to argue that his old tube TV was just as good as a 42" LCD HD :lol: )

I`ve got no complaints about the excellent Amazon service, and you don`t pay any VAT as the goods come from the Channel Islands.

Nor me. I`ve never had any problem ordering stuff from Amazon. I`ve used several of their "MarketPlace" vendors recently, they too delivered on time, and offered good prices.

+1 - they are rarely beaten on price either. Have spent many an hour searching for cheaper goods elsewhere, only to end up back where I started at the Amazon order page...

Like most successful companies and modern gadgets, there is always someone on HPC ready to give it a kicking !

(Some numpty on here the other day trying to argue that his old tube TV was just as good as a 42" LCD HD :lol: )

Erm, be careful, that "numpy" might have a point. I used to "argue" that CRT TVs were better than LCDs a few years back. Admittedly, LCDs have improved in the past couple of years, and I now mostly prefer LCDs. Still, a few "cheap" LCDs can produce pretty poor picture quality when displaying certain programmes.

Also, despite MotionPlus+, Viera, Bravo, 350hz, 600hz, Rizla, 1000hz, technology, LCD TVs still can`t quite "tame" fast moving sports (but it`s great to brag about your 600hz 58" HDready TV when you`re in the pub). They haven`t quite got rid of Blur yet, I saw them on my TV performing at Glastonbury.

Edited by Prof

Erm, be careful, that "numpy" might have a point. I used to "argue" that CRT TVs were better than LCDs a few years back. Admittedly, LCDs have improved in the past couple of years, and I now mostly prefer LCDs. Still, a few "cheap" LCDs can produce pretty poor picture quality when displaying certain programmes.

LCD / plasma is still nowhere near as good as CRT in terms of contrast. Neither can do 'black'.

Lets not get into this argument, as the answer is always 'it depends on what you want'.

* this coming from someone who doesnt own a tv :P

+1.

where Mrs Loo works, the managers see the right level of staff as a budget figure of wages.

pay rises are nil, staff moral is such that people leave all the time. Mrs loo has worked 10 days and is now on day 11, for not much over minimum wage....clients are getting less service and the remaining staff are getting it in the face, as clients let them know...senior management are NEVER around to deal with the complaints.

I am encouraging her to jack it in, but Mrs Loo is a bit old fashioned, pride in the work, loyalty. turned down for an inflation wage rise last week, so loyalty isnt being returned.

When will Companies learn, the customer is KING.

For me Amazon is a trusted face on the internet.

Damn, I hate you then! :)

I have a sucession of damaged/faulty and incorrect orders from Amazon starting about 6 months ago, before that I never had a problem.

My favourite was when I ended up having to return a faulty book three times (it was a pretty obvious fault and should have been noticed at the publishers let alone in the Amazon depot) and I am pretty sure that the third one I got was the first one I returned.

After that was sorted Imy next order was just wrong and the one after was damaged (not in the mail) so I have given up on them for now. It is far better to buy things in the shops (if you can find them), at least you get what you ordered, undamaged, it may cost a few quid more but online ordering is not everything it is cracked up to be. Especially if you are out when the postie tries to deliver and your work has put a ban on getting online deliveries.

For watching standard TV I bet it is....

I have a LCD (only a 32" but I am not attracted only by size) it is superb for bluray and dvd but fairly awful for digital TV expecially things like football.

What kind of wood did they use? Balsa?

I realise it shouldn't matter, but how heavy is this guy?

Imagine if a safe or a big IT box had been installed up there. Could have been carnage.

PS Jerry building is an attribute of the 3rd world. We must not stand by and allow the elite to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator while they look down from in luxury compound on the hill.

Edited by xux42

Imagine if a safe or a big IT box had been installed up there. Could have been carnage.

An un-safe safe, or a computer that really could crash.

For watching standard TV I bet it is....

I have a LCD (only a 32" but I am not attracted only by size) it is superb for bluray and dvd but fairly awful for digital TV expecially things like football.

Don't really think the "quality" of the TV is what is important. It is what is watched on it. And as TV today mainly comprises

of reality w**k and endless repeats that makes the whole question of size/screen type pretty meaningless.

if this was a structurally approved mezzanine, then for this to happen then the floor would have had to be unfinished, or the guy fell off an edge of through an illegal opening.

to go through a deck, which would normally be 38mm HD particleboard, supported around every 600mm with steel joists, would be just about impossible, unless the guy had been deep frozen in liquid nitrogen just before he fell.

unless the guy had been deep frozen in liquid nitrogen just before he fell.

The LN tank would have been heavier than the guy and gone through the floor first. Otherwise, good point, hadn't thought of that.

+1.

where Mrs Loo works, the managers see the right level of staff as a budget figure of wages.

pay rises are nil, staff moral is such that people leave all the time. Mrs loo has worked 10 days and is now on day 11, for not much over minimum wage....clients are getting less service and the remaining staff are getting it in the face, as clients let them know...senior management are NEVER around to deal with the complaints.

I am encouraging her to jack it in, but Mrs Loo is a bit old fashioned, pride in the work, loyalty. turned down for an inflation wage rise last week, so loyalty isnt being returned.

When will Companies learn, the customer is KING.

For me Amazon is a trusted face on the internet.

If the client is always king then everyone else is a serf surely? So then if you believe

you are serf you will treat your staff like serfs

Choose to work in an industry where the client values your services

Clients can be bullies, rude, liars and cheats like all of us have the potential to be.

We treat every client with the respect they deserve which ranges from fanatical service to cancelling contracts if they swear at my service desk staff

Don't see how you can have pride in a job when the company doesn't, no good for your self esteem