House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Double-dip...yes Or No?

The recovery looks like it might be faltering - the media are talking more about a double-dip recession.

Is that likley to be the case and, if so, when will we be at the top of the spike?

The recovery looks like it might be faltering - the media are talking more about a double-dip recession.

Is that likley to be the case and, if so, when will we be at the top of the spike?

More of an upside down N than a W for me.

Still, the mid-top will show in the next two weeks.

Oddly, the way the DOW and FTSE are going both are doing their best to defy any dip let alone crash.

Did you not know equities are at a once in a lifetime buying opertunity atm?

We had a recovery? When did that happen? Must have blinked and missed it. :blink:

Did you not know equities are at a once in a lifetime buying opertunity atm?

Was that a sarcastic comment?

When would be the best time to stick some cash into stocks for the long term (10years +)???

When would be the best time to stick some cash into stocks for the long term (10years +)???

Jan. 10th 2003.

the way we get a double dip i imagine is if the hawks win the deficit battle. The double dip maybe further down the road as the usual neo-liberal argument for balancing budgets before consumer/private sector is ready to resume the debt binge. wins out. OR if indeed it looks likely that the consumer and private sector can't drive the growth as in the last decade then the role of govt. to stimulate aggregate demand may have to contiue for longer than a brief stopgap measure. And if the appetite/political will isn't there for that then we may see the double dip, a worsening unemployment situaiton etc.

OR maybe i've been reading too many blogs and don't know wtf i'm talking about.

I'm still not sure where this recovery is.

House prices going up or down? down.

jobs going up or down? down.

GDP going up or down? down.

For a 'double dip' recession all of that stuff needs to start growing again, then reverse and go negative.

A few good weeks on the stock market do not a 'recovery' make. More like falling off a cliff and bouncing off a sticky out rock halfway down.

About five months ago.

Which recovery was this then? I heard a lot of politicians and commentators in the media talking about a recovery and the stock market and housing market seemed to get quite excited.

Does that constitute a recovery these days? With unemployment sky rocketing and every other economic indicator showing negative?

Strange world we live in.

I don't usually pay much attention to him, but I think Kaletsky might have a point when he says:

... if the German election in September provokes debate about the enormous monetary transfers Germany is committed to paying to consumers elsewhere in the eurozone under the single currency project. These effective subsidies to Eastern Europe and the Club Med countries are already approaching the cost of German reunification and will eventually dwarf it. If German voters begin to understand this, their reaction could trigger a financial crisis in the eurozone at least comparable to the Lehman shock.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...icle6715405.ece

This might be what triggers crash phase two. Besides, crashes seem to always happen in September/October anyway <_<