House Price Crash Forum

Shuttle Launch

Dylan

HOLA441

If you're in the south of England and go outside at around 23.20 tonight you should be able to see the shuttle fly overhead (cloud permitting). It will appear from the W and move across the sky for about a minute towards the SE.

HOLA442
If you're in the south of England and go outside at around 23.20 tonight you should be able to see the shuttle fly overhead (cloud permitting). It will appear from the W and move across the sky for about a minute towards the SE.

Cool!

No good for me being oop north though.

HOLA443

ooh it's clear as a bell down here right now. Will it be distinguishable from a bog standard satellite??

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Dylan... what launch time was that 23:20 pass over the south relative to? Definately clear enough to see it :)

The launch of space shuttle Endeavour has been delayed five times this month due to thunderstorms and direct hits from lightning on the launch pad. With the weather looking better than it has been, NASA have decided to go for another launch attempt this evening/night, on Wed/Thurs July 15/16th. If there are no delays then lift off should be at approx 18.03 PM EDT (subject to change), for observers in the UK that's 23.03 BST. Make sure to watch the launch live on NASA TV and keep up to date with the latest developments via the NASA Blog. For observers in Ireland there's an additional treat in store. If it's clear, go outside and look low to the S or SW some 18 min's or so after launch and you might just see the two giant external fuel tanks glowing orange in the night sky. This last happened over Ireland in 2008 but it's a rare event and something which I have never seen before so I hope to have it clear tonight to see this special event. On the nights ahead the shuttle will chase the ISS across the sky until they eventually dock. This' space chase' is a must see. To find out the transit times of both the ISS and Endeavour then check out Heavensabove.com or the Spaceweather Sat Tracker. I wish you clear skies and good luck.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Probably, but if you've got a clear view of the horizon to the south it's not going to hurt to try.

Think it might be up now. Looks like a star with a tail :)

Edit: Scrub that. Think it's my dodgy eyesight. :( Anyone seen it yet?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It was very low in the south east, and very bright (not quite dark here in Scotland, inky blue sky with only a few stars). It was double - a bit less than the size of the moon between the 2 vertically spaced bits. What caused that - when does the main tank seperate? It all faded quickly and disappeared while still high in the sky.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
It was very low in the south east, and very bright (not quite dark here in Scotland, inky blue sky with only a few stars). It was double - a bit less than the size of the moon between the 2 vertically spaced bits. What caused that - when does the main tank seperate? It all faded quickly and disappeared while still high in the sky.

It was quite above my head in BOS I nearly missed it as I was looking low down, was bright in the west then I lost it as it went overhead,

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
It was two objects travelling together, one was the shuttle, the other was the booster tank. They went in to shadow pretty quickly so you may only have caught a fleeting glimpse.

yes something orange seemed to be following it, I thought that was light being refracted.

Archived