House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loginandtonic

3 Million Unemployed Is The Best Case Scenario

Jeff Randall was a bit taken aback to hear that on his Live programme, just a few minutes ago.

I wonder what the worst case scenario is?

Of course the people coming off incap benefit wont help.

whats the true figure of unemployment right now, strip out the invisibles, strip out those on "training" and "in education", strip out those on IB, strip out those in public sector non-jobs. 6 million? 6m are currently in the public sector at the moment i think, last count

CIPD http://www.cipd.co.uk/default.cipd

Edited by loginandtonic

Tories need to cut 1 in 4 public sector jobs just to balance the budget...

So let's say 7 million unemployed (counting all the fiddles in). But since no one actually knows how many people there are in the country, it's impossible to say what the percentage is! (16% in Great Depression for comparison).

Jeff Randall was a bit taken aback to hear that on his Live programme, just a few minutes ago.

I wonder what the worst case scenario is?

Of course the people coming off incap benefit wont help.

whats the true figure of unemployment right now, strip out the invisibles, strip out those on "training" and "in education", strip out those on IB, strip out those in public sector non-jobs. 6 million? 6m are currently in the public sector at the moment i think, last count

CIPD http://www.cipd.co.uk/default.cipd

As I wrote on another thread you need to add at least half (possibly 90%) of people on incapacity benefit to the ones claiming unemployment benefits and then you are already near 5 million

The people recently made unemployed with redundancy payments and self employed with savings or liquidating their business will generally have more than 16K in assets so wont be eligible for benefits and probably would not bother registering as unemployed. Hence the slightly better figures of the number claiming benefit which several commentators have picked up on as evidence of "green shoots" or bottoming out.

Well - if the ECRB goes much further you can increase that by 10%...

Can't find the stats now, but I gather about 250k people have been binned by it.

BBC News had an interactive with viewers - tales of 100 jobs applied for and not even one reply, newscaster related her own friend of a friend story being someone who runs a wrapping business and got so many emailed applications for a job that the email system collapsed, applicants were over qualified "downshifters" as well as first jobbers. Basically the story was just as I remember it from the 80s, naff all chance of a job unless you know someone to get you in.

Of course none of this will snuff out renewed HPI, property is almost certainly set to soar again soon because dole claimants have a hefty wad at the end of each month with which to pay off for that £150K studio flat in Lower Parkstone.

One of the most telling things I saw on the tv today was a market trader concerned about his stall's (serving) staff as "they have mortgages to pay off". something tells me those poor s0ds have been given mortgages far higher than their likely wages for stall assistant would merit, this is whats happened - instead of spreading affordable home ownership to everyone the VIs and feckless govt have spread dangerous debt for over-priced piles of bricks, now the whole mess dangles by a thread made of fantasy money queased out of a fiscal computer programme to buy just that little bit more time until NuLabour goes to the polls and loses. Then when it all falls down they'll blame the Tories who for once wont be to blame :lol:

Tories need to cut 1 in 4 public sector jobs just to balance the budget...

Yup. You can see the Labour strategy. Attempt, literally at any cost, to disguise or temporarily inhibit the discovery of the real unemployment rate in a desperate bid to win or at least mitigate their losses at the next election. If it works, then they are in for another term or at worst a hung parliament which will allow them to torpedo any attempt by the next govt to get anything done. If the strategy fails then they hand over the mother of all poisoned chailces and spend 4 years saying "I told you the tories would cut services etc....we would have sorted it out". If the tories make cuts in public services they bolster Labour support for the following election.

A brilliant political strategy for Labour that has a high probability of leading to financial cataclysm for the country as the primary predisposition of self preservation of political parties means that the requisite long term policies are sacrificed for short term survival .

BBC

Just a passing comment on BBC morning program. Posters here have commented the it has deteriorated into a barely disguised inculcation of

labour policy delivered in an idiot friendly fashion. Normally I avoid it but I had reason to watch it yesterday morning.

On the day 281000 people were declared to have lost their jobs in the last 3 months, they visited Portsmouth to do a piece on unemployment. The presenter stated the figure, stated that unemployment in Portsmouth had risen 75% in the last year and then turned to a man standing next to her and spent the remainder of the piece talking to him about how he had found a job in a car garage after only 2 months being unemployed, she finished the piece saying "so some good news there then".

I wonder if words such as balance and proportionality have been removed from the charter?