House Price Crash Forum

Uk 'backs Blair For Eu President'

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8152099.stm

Prior to the Irish ratifying Lisbon...

Tony Blair will be the UK's official candidate for EU president, Baroness Kinnock has apparently confirmed.

The post will only be created if the Lisbon Treaty is ratified by all EU states - Ireland is to hold a second referendum in October.

There has long been speculation that the former PM would go for the post but he has not confirmed he will do so.

It is the first time a UK government minister has publicly announced Tony Blair is a candidate for the job.

Previously, ministers have said it was premature to talk of supporting any particular candidate when the job itself did not exist.

'Strength of character'

But at a briefing in Strasbourg, Europe Minister Lady Kinnock said: "The UK government is supporting Tony Blair's candidature for president of the Council [of EU governments]."

Asked if it had been discussed with Mr Blair, currently a Middle East envoy, she said: "It is the government's position. I am sure they would not do that without asking him."

Lady Kinnock went on to say Mr Blair had the "strength of character" and "status" to take on the job.

She added: "People know who he is, and he could step into this new role with a lot of respect and he would be generally welcomed."

But there have been reports that Mr Blair's role in the Iraq war and Britain's failure to join the euro, could go against him.

Mr Blair's spokesman said later: "As we have said, time and again on this, there is nothing to be a candidate for since the job doesn't actually exist."

Ireland was the only EU member state to hold a public vote on the treaty, which must be ratified by all 27 countries. The treaty was rejected in that referendum last June. It will hold a second referendum in the autumn.

The precise role of the EU president has not been laid out. The Swedish government, which currently holds the six-month EU presidency, has suggested drawing up a proper job description before seeing which available political figure fits it best.

Campaign group Open Europe said the EU should stick with the rotating presidency which allows the current national leaders - who have a democratic mandate - to set the EU's agenda on a six-monthly basis.

Director Lorraine Mullally said: "Tony Blair may well be a respected politician around the world, but he is also yesterday's news.

"The problem with creating a post of EU president is that it would inevitably go to an ex-leader who has lost the support of his or her own electorate."

Since leaving Downing Street in 2007, Mr Blair has been appointed Middle East peace envoy and launched the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, which aims to foster better relations between world religions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
If the Irish needed yet another reason to vote no, they have just been handed it on a platter.

I can see Libertas marketing "Vote Yes - Get bLIAR"

Blair will go down like a cup of cold sick in rural Ireland.

I hope you are right...

The idea of a European Superstate commanded by Blair (unelected by the people of course) terrifies me.

HOLA447
I hope you are right...

The idea of a European Superstate commanded by Blair (unelected by the people of course) terrifies me.

Yep he would form a European army toot suite and then pick a poor defenceless muslim country and lay waste to it so they can experience the pleasures of democracy which we are denied by the EU.

HOLA448
UK backs Blair for Eu president

All political careers end in failure, apparently. But there always seems to be a line up of big fat jobs at the end of it. Bad enough that the Kinnocks long ago abandoned their ideals for a very large salary and freebies galore, and now Blair, with his relentless narcissism and greed for cash and status. I despair.

Will just ONE politician ever simply retire gracefully to an allotment in Dorset? Probably not.

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA449
Daft question. I guess we "the people" don't get a say?

Daft indeed :)

We were supposed to have a referendum were we not? Until they decided that democracy is only any good when it suits them.

HOLA4410
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Yep he would form a European army toot suite and then pick a poor defenceless muslim country and lay waste to it so they can experience the pleasures of democracy which we are denied by the EU.

Too expensive, much better to steal from your own proletariat.

There must be a few countries in the EU where people are living simply and not getting taxed enough yet.

I'm sure Tony can make sure the EU-wide legislation is added to and enforced for their own good.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
He is actually the anti-Christ isn't he.

That's the only pre-ordained position I'm backing him for.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don't like the sound of this Euro Army thing.

EU soldiers raise the 12-star flag to inaugurate the European Parliament

By Daniel Hannan Politics Last updated: July 14th, 2009

You remember the sole and fairly meagre change made when the European Constitution was revived as the Lisbon Treaty? That’s right. The EU’s national emblems were taken out: its flag, anthem, national day and so on.

So guess what happened when the European Parliament met for its first formal session. Uniformed Eurocorps soldiers held a ceremony, in which they paraded about and then solemnly raised the blue and gold flag to the swell of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. (“It’s a sin! Ludwig Van only wrote music!†as Alex memorably puts it in A Clockwork Orange).

Now, Taoiseach, what was that you were saying about how the EU had dropped its plans for militarisation?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielha...ean-parliament/

Eurocorps-MilitaerVorEU-Komission,templateId=large__blob.jpeg

Edited by MOP

HOLA4417
Guest tbatst2000
Daft question. I guess we "the people" don't get a say?

no, f*ck off, you're too stupid to vote. (not aimed at you specifically of course).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Probably because they are disgusting, filthy, arrogant, lying scum.

Tony Blair is a snake. Someone needs to take out their revolver and dispatch the man.

On an unrelated note, anyone know where I can buy a revolver?

Edited by codeine

HOLA4420

and then he'd be their peace envoy.

you couldnt make it up.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

can't be.....although he does a damn good impression.

THE anti-christ will be a figure of universal adoration.

Tony blair can only achieve this accolade in his own head.He's pretty universally despised throughout europe...only the yanks still think he's fab,but they'll catch on.

they have their own version of blair who is out to ruin them.

If you want to see who the real antichrist is,there IS a picture of him!!!

If someone can take the time to hoke it out,Albert Pike had an illustration in morals and dogma somewhere.I did come across it a while ago on the web but can't seem to find it now.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

nah, the anti christ would have married one of the hollyoaks babes, not a cruella witch lookalike. badhairday.0.0.0x0.288x369.jpeg

post-10213-1247679958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4425