House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Has Scrappage Brought Used Car Prices Down?

if people can get a new car for at least 2K less than before, why have used car prices held up?

i am now seeing 09 plates on the roads, a month ago i wasnt.

so why arent dealers paying less for the p/ex 3 to 4 year old cars they take in and then make the windscreen price less for used buyers?

they're not doing so round here, i think used prices are up

Think it depends what sort of cars you're looking at. Big fuel guzzler 2nd hand cars seem to be pretty cheap round here - and in some cases less than the price of a similar age small runaround car. Before the Scrappage Scheme was introduced, there was a lot of talk about how the 2nd hand market was doing well, as people weren't buying new cars, as they couldn't afford them, and more people were downsizing their cars to a more fuel efficient version.

I wonder how much difference the scrappage scheme has made to 2nd hand sales? I would guess not a huge amount - although I found this Telegraph article interesting...

Think it depends what sort of cars you're looking at. Big fuel guzzler 2nd hand cars seem to be pretty cheap round here - and in some cases less than the price of a similar age small runaround car. Before the Scrappage Scheme was introduced, there was a lot of talk about how the 2nd hand market was doing well, as people weren't buying new cars, as they couldn't afford them, and more people were downsizing their cars to a more fuel efficient version.

I wonder how much difference the scrappage scheme has made to 2nd hand sales? I would guess not a huge amount - although I found this Telegraph article interesting...

thx, i know the gas heavy big ones are down, but i meant the more typical small-medium sized - after all scrappage allows £2K off those so one would think the used versions would be £1K to £2K less

Some used cars hold a lot of their value. Also people aren't really willing to sell their car too cheap just because they want a new one. If there's nothing wrong with their car they can just hold onto it. I don't think you'll see prices of second hand cars drop nearly as much. Not to mention that new cars are greatly overpriced to begin with and there is room to maneuvre on the price.

thx, i know the gas heavy big ones are down, but i meant the more typical small-medium sized - after all scrappage allows £2K off those so one would think the used versions would be £1K to £2K less

What appears to be happening is that the scrappage scheme is depriving the market of the small,cheap runabout that so many people who don't have bags of cash need and rely on.In the last few weeks I have been flooded with calls for small sub £2k cars.The corollary of this is that virtually any old banger with a years MOT is selling for a grand and is sought after. I now have virtually nothing left in this price range.

The silly thing is that the trade ins for scrappage include some lovely little cars,many have been garaged all their life and have low mileage,they would probably sell easily for two grand.

What appears to be happening is that the scrappage scheme is depriving the market of the small,cheap runabout that so many people who don't have bags of cash need and rely on.In the last few weeks I have been flooded with calls for small sub £2k cars.The corollary of this is that virtually any old banger with a years MOT is selling for a grand and is sought after. I now have virtually nothing left in this price range.

The silly thing is that the trade ins for scrappage include some lovely little cars,many have been garaged all their life and have low mileage,they would probably sell easily for two grand.

thx for that info

what i see as a consumer is for example 07 or 06 nissans or hyundais going (windscreen price) used for just 300 less than a new (after scrappage dicount) one of the same or very similar spec, i assume aimed at buyers sans an old banger for scrappage but looks like anyone who has a banger for scrappage will do better avoiding s/h like the aforementioned just 300 less than new after scrappage discount

I've got an 8 year old 306 (56K on the clock), that I'm likely to offload next year for something a bit newer. Sounds like I won't have any trouble shifting it.

What is the market like for 3-4 years old stuff?

I've got an 8 year old 306 (56K on the clock), that I'm likely to offload next year for something a bit newer. Sounds like I won't have any trouble shifting it.

What is the market like for 3-4 years old stuff?

05/55 06/56 have been climbing about £100/£150 a month since the new year.Some depressed vehicles such as 4x4 by larger amounts.There are crazy prices being asked privately.I saw an 07 Toyota Aygo with a sticker on it today asking £6495.If you have a banger you will buy a brand new one for less.I think the market is mirroring the housing situation with very little supply and prices being held up by this alone.Your 306,well it isn't the most desirable model because it's a trifle old fashioned.I sold a 2001 Diesel estate recently 46k,one owner at £2495 1.4/1.6 better news than the 1.8 in petrol. Diesl HDi the best.

05/55 06/56 have been climbing about £100/£150 a month since the new year.Some depressed vehicles such as 4x4 by larger amounts.There are crazy prices being asked privately.I saw an 07 Toyota Aygo with a sticker on it today asking £6495.If you have a banger you will buy a brand new one for less.I think the market is mirroring the housing situation with very little supply and prices being held up by this alone.Your 306,well it isn't the most desirable model because it's a trifle old fashioned.I sold a 2001 Diesel estate recently 46k,one owner at £2495 1.4/1.6 better news than the 1.8 in petrol. Diesl HDi the best.

Thanks for that.

1.4 (Highest Spec) and at the beginning of the year I'd have guessed at getting about £1200 as a private sale.

Looking at what is happening to the prices of what I want to buy, I think I might hang on and see what we can buy OH's Focus for when he gets his next company car - rumour has it that it should be available for a good deal (just some people's idea of a good deal isn't always the same as mine ;) )

Thanks for that.

1.4 (Highest Spec) and at the beginning of the year I'd have guessed at getting about ?1200 as a private sale.

Looking at what is happening to the prices of what I want to buy, I think I might hang on and see what we can buy OH's Focus for when he gets his next company car - rumour has it that it should be available for a good deal (just some people's idea of a good deal isn't always the same as mine ;) )

They usually try and get a few hundred quid more than auction price,which may not necessarily be a bad deal because if you buy from them,whatever they say,you have statutory rights if it goes pop big style.If you want to know what to pay at the time just ask.