House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sunonmars

Home Secretary - "i Won't Put A Cap On Immigration"

Foot in mouth, own goal. Total idiot. That quote will be an ad for the whole of the election.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...-Secretary.html

Former Labour Minister Frank Field, who runs a cross-party group called Balanced Migration, which campaigns to limit the number of immigrants to manageable levels, was dismissive of the Home Secretary's claims not to lie awake at night. He said: 'It must be a misquote because it should be.'

Home Secretary Alan Johnson last night refused point blank to cap the number of immigrants coming to Britain.

And he said he does not 'lie awake at night' worrying about the population hitting 70million.

Official figures show at the current rate of increase the British population will hit the milestone within 20 years, with a further seven million immigrants placing a burden on public services.

Immigration Minister Phil Woolas has pledged that the Government will not allow the population to grow to that level. But last night he was apparently undermined by his boss.

Speaking at the Home Affairs Select Committee, Mr Johnson said he would not bring in a cap because it would harm the economy, claiming the argument that immigration had made a contribution to the economy was 'irrefutable'.

'I do not lie awake at night worrying about a population of 70million,' he told the cross-party group of MPs.

'I'm happy to live in a multi-cultural society. I'm happy to live in a society where we not only welcome those coming to live and work in this country, but also where we can go and live and work in other countries.'

The Home Secretary did acknowledge the recession has made it more difficult for ministers to convince British workers who have lost their jobs that immigration is beneficial.

The Home Secretary did acknowledge the recession has made it more difficult for ministers to convince British workers who have lost their jobs that immigration is beneficial.

I'm shocked. Must be tricky to convince turkeys of the benefits of mid-winter feasts as well.

This really is starting to look nasty.

It would seem Labour really do want to throw every dim electoral prospect they have down the toilet and flush heavily.

‘I do not lie awake at night worrying about a population of 70million,’ he told the cross-party group of MPs. Thats let them eat cake territory.

Edited by sunonmars

When are they going to have Frank Field bumped off?

You mean very sadly succumb to complications after contracting pig flu?

Ths stance is unlikely to change even with the predicited change in Government next year - both of the Tories partners in crime -namely the CBI and the IoD broadly support what Alan Johnson is saying presumably because it helps control upward pressure on wages ...

Ths stance is unlikely to change even with the predicited change in Government next year - both of the Tories partners in crime -namely the CBI and the IoD broadly support what Alan Johnson is saying presumably because it helps control upward pressure on wages ...

They don't do it with this employers blessing or need!

I have to say well done to Alan for providing as clear a statement as you will ever get from a politician at this level on immigration. At least we know where he stands.

He's still wrong and a tw@t though

'I'm happy to live in a multi-cultural society. I'm happy to live in a society where we not only welcome those coming to live and work in this country, but also where we can go and live and work in other countries.'

Here we go, anyone opposed to unlimited immigration being branded as racist (or as good as).

What they are failing to grasp is the significant negative impact all this has on services. Especially hospitals and schools who have to deal with thousands of kids and patients turning up unable to speak English. And while we are on the subject where are all these extra people going to live? Presumably in one of the multiple BTL's owned by a member of the lLabour party.

There need to be some controls if only so that we can help these people integrate better. I hate the phrase 'multi-cultural' too just now it seems to revolve around ghettos of people from different cultures/countries who have no intention of integrating with anyone.

Slight error there. Its not general wage pressure they care about. Its lower wage pressure on everyone elses wages, the lower-middle and lower classes that they want. The current immigration polices are ideal for that.

I have to say well done to Alan for providing as clear a statement as you will ever get from a politician at this level on immigration. At least we know where he stands.

He's still wrong and a tw@t though

:lol:

'I do not lie awake at night worrying about a population of 70million,' he told the cross-party group of MPs.

Where do they get these morons from? Has the Home Secretary any idea how difficult it would be for the average Brit to get a job in another country?

Within the EU work permits should not (in theory) be a problem but if you do not speak the language you are lost.

Outside the EU please name any country that permits free movement of labour (British or otherwise).

Within the EU work permits should not (in theory) be a problem but if you do not speak the language you are lost.

Learn the ******ing language then. FFS. Or should they all just speaka the English yes?

As a country that is often portrayed as totally embracing the "free-economy" model (relative to the rest of EU), and one that is the least critical of Darwinism in its popular media; I'd say there isn't much consistency here.

On one hand many here seem to want a "hands-off" laissez-faire government to protect your so-called "personal freedom", and on the other, you want less competition from foreigners by hoping that your government intervene?

If you believe in the principals of a free-market and free-society, these principals should also be extended to the job-market. Part of the reason why so many foreigners are being employed is that they are simply better qualified and can offer a lot more "out-of-the-box" input than your local Johnny English. If they out-compete local graduates, then tough. You just have to produce better quality graduates that have a more open mind and more exposure to the globalised world. Closing your gates and hide from the storm will help in the short term, but you will be left out in no time. I work with many locals in my office, and I can tell you that most of the younger grads are crap and rather weak in their intellectual ability. Why? I think your Labour gov really lower the quality of education and exams in this country so as to allow more students to have a degree, in detriment to the overall quality and reputation of your universities.

As to the other part of the reason, where foreign labours out-compete locals by charging less for their work. Well, c'est la vie. In a supposedly free-market, under what reason must there be different rates of pay between foreign and local labours? So what if your living standards and expectations are higher than some dirty foreigners? Who cares? Drop your standards and expectations. Unless you put a stop to the free-market concept so prevalent in your country, this argument will hold. And no, no compromise. Yes or No, to a free market. Pick one and stick to it. At least you guys have the choice!

Its more a case of Alan Johnston committing political Hari Kari. Talk about totally ruining your leadership prospects.

Hardly.

Saying the opposite would only have appealed to the part of the electorate that dislike immigration, labour supporters or otherwise. Relatively few of those get a vote in a leadership contest. Saying what he did will work far better when seeking votes from paid-up labour party members.

Learn the ******ing language then. FFS. Or should they all just speaka the English yes?

Doesn't seem to be much of a problem over here.

In the week where they announce that we will have to pay towards our Long Term Care in old age, the week where the upper age for working has been abolished because the Pension system in this country is an utter shambles and in a week where it is confirmed yet again that our armed forces are dieing needlessly through lack of funding, is it too much to ask this simple thing:

STOP FU**ING IMPORTING THE WORLD'S POOR!

Jesus H C, when will these lunatics stop destroying my country?

Too late.

As a country that is often portrayed as totally embracing the "free-economy" model (relative to the rest of EU), and one that is the least critical of Darwinism in its popular media; I'd say there isn't much consistency here.

(rest snipped)

Personally what bothers me is this idiotically unthought-out concept of "multi-cultural". Hell, even the CRE dumped on that a few years back.

How can a nation wedded to the state as we are possible be classified as a "free economy" model? Are you paying attention to what actually happens over here?

There is no way athis country, with its attitude to providing health and welfare benefits but with a f8cked up economy can sustain 60m people let alone 70m. It's mental.

Utter twaddle.

Many immigrants never learn the language. Polish labour for example is often recruited en masse with a few English speakers among them. This model only works in the U.K where business leaders like cheap labour that can't talk back. There are no reciprocal arrangements elsewhere in Europe. its a Labour fantasy. The vast majority of people born in Britain will live and work in Britain. Foreign labour surpresses their wages. Just how those in power like it.

Another knee jerk reactionary idiot who misses the point made!

Utter twaddle.

Many immigrants never learn the language. Polish labour for example is often recruited en masse with a few English speakers among them. This model only works in the U.K where business leaders like cheap labour that can't talk back. There are no reciprocal arrangements elsewhere in Europe. its a Labour fantasy. The vast majority of people born in Britain will live and work in Britain. Foreign labour surpresses their wages. Just how those in power like it.

Wrong, don't generalise.

I have gone to great lengths to maintain a "one language" environment and I won't take people on unless they can function well in English. Yes there are some knob employers who don't care, but please be fair.

I'll tell you a funny atory about how thick the government attitude is. I was advised once by a complete knobster of a local government officer to have "a Polish team and so on". When I told the guy he'd be my star witness when the racial discrimination cases rolled in he looked blank (that's actually his normal face).

Never mind, he'll be asking for a job soon and then I will have my laugh.

Edited by bogbrush

Utter twaddle.

Yes this is quite true I agree. But if you really wanted to work abroad you could and it would make it a lot easier if you learned the native language.

I suppose i'm lucky that I find it easy to converse in a foreign tongue. I was in Spain the other week and got served well quick.

"CAN... I... HAVE... A... BEER... PLEASE..." Sorted no problemo.