House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Should I Bin The Box?

Guest skullingtonjoe

RAAASS!

I`ve just about had it with the TV. I`ve watched Space 1999 and UFO on ITV4 and I`ve finally entered the desolate land known as `Repeatsville`.

I had a look at the chavvy TV guide (`cos it`s cheap <_<, hence the choice ). There is more or less nothing that I want to watch today, tomorrow, the day after (repeat ad infinitum until death).

I gave up on BBC1 a long time ago, and - having seen the latest Torchwood - I don`t think I missed much. BBC2 seems to be equally lame. ITV is for those with no brains at all imho (Jeremy Kyle, anyone?) and Channel 4 is boring too. Channel 5 isn`t up to much (I liked NCIS but that`s worn thin now), and all the other channels are crap as well.

I have no intention of paying for anything more, so SKY is out of the question.

With that in mind, perhaps it would be better to bin the box. I have plenty of stuff to be studying in the evening and it seems to me that I am winding myself up more and more (especially when those fu<king `Muchas Maracas` adverts come on! I get the overwhleming urge to finds the fu<kers responsible for this shit, kidnap them, and dump them on the outer reaches of Snowdonia in mid-winter with minimal clothing and no means of communication; the only thing they`ll have is a `goody bag` full of the shit they`ve been touting (we`re moving into SAW 1-5 territory). Let`s see how far their fu<king `Lynx` and other assorted tat will get them.)

Of course, I could switch over, but then there`s just other more of the same sort of shit on other channels.

I usually find myself leaving the room and off to play computer games on the internet, or reading a book, or something else. For the second time in two weeks I physically attacked the TV - it seems quite robust and is still in working order. :rolleyes: As I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, I feel I am just mentally cutting myself by watching this utter shite (Sky News and Aunty Pravda don`t seem very informative), and I just find myself asking: why the hell am I paying £12 for this drivel?

Time to put the TV in the rubbish skip, stop paying the exorbitant licence fee, and try to do something constructive with my free time methinks. I really feel I have reached some kind of turning point, but - like the tablet-taking time in The Matrix - I`m not sure which way to go (sorry if this posting seems like a non-issue or is trivial, but I do value the opinions here!)

Cheers ;)

Time to put the TV in the rubbish skip, stop paying the exorbitant licence fee, and try to do something constructive with my free time methinks. I really feel I have reached some kind of turning point, but - like the tablet-taking time in The Matrix - I`m not sure which way to go (sorry if this posting seems like a non-issue or is trivial, but I do value the opinions here!)

Cheers ;)

Theres no need to throw the poor tv out. Just unplug the aerial from everything and stop paying the license fee. Use the money you save to buy or rent an odd film or boxed set every so while.

Theres other things you can do to get free content like torrents, but its not my place to teach you :P

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

Groucho Marx

Dumped mine years ago, never regretted it.

Guest theboltonfury
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

Groucho Marx

Dumped mine years ago, never regretted it.

telly is rubbish but then every now and then something genuinely good comes on. There was a program on the other night with Bruce Parry about lost tribes in New Guinea. I hought that was excellent. I quite like Mock the Week and Mitchell and webb too, but that's about it.

To be honest though, it stays mostly off in my house.

I think about it every now and then, but never do anything about it.

As a teenageer, the parents decided that it would be a good option to have a telefast for a month, and just delayed renewing the TV licence for a month.

Life wasn't much better without it, and the local TV shop on the high street got to know who I was as I'd saunter in at about the right time for Neighbours every now and then. We were also only allowed to watch 1 hour of TV per night. I think I've had something of a backlash against that, and watch more than I would have done if things hadn't been so regulated.

Nowadays, you can't skip out on a month of the licence to give TV free living a go, as they just back date it to match up with the last year's worth you paid for. :angry:

I'm realising that I still watch TV, but increasingly it's as a background noise while I'm doing something else.

5 years ago, I stopped watching Eastenders (we were never allowed to watch it at home, I started watching at Uni, when living with others who were) and Big Brother. Stuff on TV is just so angry nowadays, and I don't believe it's a good thing. 2 years ago, we bought a PVR to replace the video recorder. We spent so long watching catch ups of CSI and House that we barely went out for a few months! We passed it on to my Grandparents, who think it's a great device, as they can rewind stuff to play catch up when they've fallen asleep!

We have a TV, but no recording devices, and I'm increasingly seeing the point of no TV - with the advent of TV on demand I can see that really there's no need to have a TV any more...

Apart from the fact that I know it's lunchtime at 1:45 when Neighbours comes on. Speaking of which...

I get to see enough at Christmas, and lounging about other people's homes now and again to fill me to the gills anyway!

People have the telly on when you come to visit?! How rude!!! (Unless you go there specifically to watch TV with them of course - like Eurovision for example)

Bad TV outweighs the good by a massive margin (as with most things in life) but imo the good definitely makes owning a TV worthwhile.

Using your discretion can result in hours of good entertainment imo, if you're going to have a hard time resisting sitting in front of Deal or No Deal then you probably should bin your telly.

Guest theboltonfury
I think about it every now and then, but never do anything about it.

As a teenageer, the parents decided that it would be a good option to have a telefast for a month, and just delayed renewing the TV licence for a month.

Life wasn't much better without it, and the local TV shop on the high street got to know who I was as I'd saunter in at about the right time for Neighbours every now and then. We were also only allowed to watch 1 hour of TV per night. I think I've had something of a backlash against that, and watch more than I would have done if things hadn't been so regulated.

Nowadays, you can't skip out on a month of the licence to give TV free living a go, as they just back date it to match up with the last year's worth you paid for. :angry:

I'm realising that I still watch TV, but increasingly it's as a background noise while I'm doing something else.

5 years ago, I stopped watching Eastenders (we were never allowed to watch it at home, I started watching at Uni, when living with others who were) and Big Brother. Stuff on TV is just so angry nowadays, and I don't believe it's a good thing. 2 years ago, we bought a PVR to replace the video recorder. We spent so long watching catch ups of CSI and House that we barely went out for a few months! We passed it on to my Grandparents, who think it's a great device, as they can rewind stuff to play catch up when they've fallen asleep!

We have a TV, but no recording devices, and I'm increasingly seeing the point of no TV - with the advent of TV on demand I can see that really there's no need to have a TV any more...

Apart from the fact that I know it's lunchtime at 1:45 when Neighbours comes on. Speaking of which...

It is fascinating how many households banned Eastenders at some point. This was banned in my house when I was a kid, as was Grange Hill.

I`ve just about had it with the TV. I`ve watched Space 1999 and UFO on ITV4 and I`ve finally entered the desolate land known as `Repeatsville`.

I know how you feel.

Ninety-nine point nine per cent of television is unwatchable, and the point one per cent that is watchable you can watch online. Good series (like Sopranos, The Wire, Shameless, and so on) - well, you can just buy the DVD box sets second hand on Ebay and watch them on a PC or laptop with a DVD-ROM.

It is fascinating how many households banned Eastenders at some point. This was banned in my house when I was a kid, as was Grange Hill.

Yep, that too - I was allowed to watch Grange Hill up to the sausage on the fork in the cartoon strip intro. I was allowed to watch the programme when I went to High School.

I guess some of that is down to the fact that my Mum would be in the kitchen, the door to the living room was open, and she could hear what was on the TV (I was allowed to close the door to the kitchen around Christmas time for the Blue Peter make your own presents craft sections!! :D ), and could make valid decisions about what she thought was suitable for us to be watching. Now kids watch TV in their rooms, and parents have less say in the matter. Sometimes I'm shocked at what counts as reasonable programming for children nowadays, but maybe that's because those programmes were there when I was young, but I was protected from them?

Guest theboltonfury
Yep, that too - I was allowed to watch Grange Hill up to the sausage on the fork in the cartoon strip intro. I was allowed to watch the programme when I went to High School.

I guess some of that is down to the fact that my Mum would be in the kitchen, the door to the living room was open, and she could hear what was on the TV (I was allowed to close the door to the kitchen around Christmas time for the Blue Peter make your own presents craft sections!! :D ), and could make valid decisions about what she thought was suitable for us to be watching. Now kids watch TV in their rooms, and parents have less say in the matter. Sometimes I'm shocked at what counts as reasonable programming for children nowadays, but maybe that's because those programmes were there when I was young, but I was protected from them?

As soon as my parents let go of their TV control on me, I started to watch Eastenders and Grange Hill. It was then I realised all along that they had only been trying to protect me from such bad acting and flimsy storylines.

As usual, they knew best.

Don't ditch the TV... just ditch the licence. Not a requirement anyway imho.

These days I use my TV for watching films and downloaded/iplayer stuff rather than watching the stuff as its broadcast. Having to watch TV at a set time is so old fashioned, I prefer to watch what I want when I want, and broadband enables me to do just that.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Theres no need to throw the poor tv out. Just unplug the aerial from everything and stop paying the license fee. Use the money you save to buy or rent an odd film or boxed set every so while.

Theres other things you can do to get free content like torrents, but its not my place to teach you :P

Only question: if the TV is physically there, do I still not have to pay a licence fee?

Guest skullingtonjoe

I fu<king hate Eastenders I really really really do! :rolleyes: Is it the `I`m the hardest in the street` mentality, or the latest `love` `intrigue` with some horrible old skank whose destiny is to end up like Pat Butcher or Peggy Mitchell. Perhaps it`s the sheer grimness of Albert Square or just the way you get the feeling that everyone is inbred (any American tourists inadvertently venturing into the square will never be seen again; by coincidence a rash of `street barbecues` will also be taking place).

As other posters have noticed, there`s just so much pent-up rage in Albert Square and on the box in general. As a long-term prozac user, there are times when I think the UK would be better off if a large dose was put in the water supply. :rolleyes:

I think the best thing for Albert Square would be if a storyline involving an Al-Qaeda cell moving in was introduced. Phil Mitchell and the other `Alpha males` of the square die in ferocious `have-a-go` hand-to-hand combat while attempting to prevent the naughty muslims going out on a bombing outrage. The device (a small `backpack` nuke), goes off as one of the cast tries to defuse it, obliterating Albert Square entirely. How that`s for TV?!

Only question: if the TV is physically there, do I still not have to pay a licence fee?

I think so.

Of course not. You only need a license to receive broadcast signals.

Do I need a TV Licence?

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

The only thing that makes me think twice is Sky News

I know someone who got done for having a tv in the spare room unplugged. If there is a tv in the house, they will expect payment no matter what.

good luck with that explanation, pretty sure that won't stand up (I've got a TV and a laptop but I don't watch TV.......)

SKY news gets right up my nose, seems a bit too american in it's presentation

Channel 4 news pisses all over it imo

good luck with that explanation, pretty sure that won't stand up (I've got a TV and a laptop but I don't watch TV.......)

SKY news gets right up my nose, seems a bit too american in it's presentation

Channel 4 news pisses all over it imo

You only need a licence if you watch or record a live tv signal. You could use your tv for gaming or just watching films? And they have to prove you are using it anyway. Just slam the door in their face...they have no right of entry. The firm that chases the fee, Capita, is a private company, not official at all....they just pretend to have the authority to gain access.

I know someone who got done for having a tv in the spare room unplugged. If there is a tv in the house, they will expect payment no matter what.

I can only tell you what the law says. If someone was talked into getting a license for owning a tv that isnt used for receiving. Then they were scammed. Btw the link I provided is the tv licensing company's own website.

I know someone who doesnt pay the license and only watches dvds. He tells them this and they stop sending the threatening letters out for a bit.

Guest anorthosite

Sky News hasn't make me think once :P

Other than the brainless adverts I quite like sky news. I find it to be a lot less biased than bbc news, or maybe the bias is more subtle :)

Guest theboltonfury

Murdoch, including Fox are openly biased to an extent where they are not even news. I believe that for commercially funded news channels it's about quantity of viewers, hence ad revenue, not quality of output. Therefor, you end up with News Entertainment, like Sky news IMO. Sky Sports News, well you get news and a stunner all in one!

Murdoch, including Fox are openly biased to an extent where they are not even news.

What is their bias in your opinion? I mean the bbc is clearly pro-labour, pro-immigration, anti-christian. What would you say sky was for and against?