House Price Crash Forum

Jobless Numbers Rise By 281,000 In 3 Months

HOLA441
I agree with the first paragraph - we are now into a long, slow, grind down. Another 3-5 years. Recovery will always come, though.

recovery to what...full employment? 3 million jobless? or 2007 levels of borrowing...not a chance...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
It is still WORSE THAN EVER!!!

Worse than the last recession certainly and last recession gave us 20% of falls

we have now 20% of falls on the back of the credit crunch alone

and are going for at least another 20% (as in the last recession) on the back of the unemployment

"It is still WORSE THAN EVER!!!"

From where are you sourcing your data, because I thought we only had records going back to 1971?

HOLA443
Tell me I'm wrong but, if you declare yourself self employed and do a minimum of 16 hours doing 'something' you can claim working or childrens tax credits which can be a lot more than the 60 odd quid a week from JSA.

This time of year get started as a grass cutter, window cleaner, driveway cleaner or something.

you sir are correct..but how many people realize they can do this..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Won't these unemployed be needing the mortgage/rent help that JSA makes them eligible for? Unless they live with relatives that is...

I'll be off the stats if my degree goes ahead as offered and living off a loan so thats more money for the lucky BTL I decide to rent from..

Edited by HPC001

HOLA448

Until we have a NEW REAL economy or at least except the last one was phony...The U.K is going to be flucked for a very long time!

The more our government tries to prop the phony one up, the greater the chance of meltdown IMO.

It could be like pushing a dingy out to sea. Where the U.K is the dingy which gets pushed up North towards....Iceland.

Ooo now there's a thought!

:ph34r:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
I guess I could take my skills elsewhere, hell Mumbai is the world's new technology\IT centre..if I land a job with the right firm I don't see any problem with getting entry...

Having been to Mumbai, I would strongly discourage that! Its a a disease ridden, rat infested, overpopulated shithole. Think about the tube at peak times, and times it by 10, and thats the good parts of Mumbai.

Hong Kong on the other hand is fantastic.

HOLA4412
Having been to Mumbai, I would strongly discourage that! Its a a disease ridden, rat infested, overpopulated shithole. Think about the tube at peak times, and times it by 10, and thats the good parts of Mumbai.

Hong Kong on the other hand is fantastic.

Can't be worse than 1990s Pakistan\Afghanistan :lol:

As for Hong Kong, depends on which multinational I can get a job with...

HOLA4413

The majority view seems to be that falls in property prices will not exceed 2% a month until Christmas.

IMO, the rate of fall is not really within the government's control, and could accelerate alarmingly if any one of several things happen:

Run on the pound so rates have to rise dramatically.

More major banks going bust (inevitable once US bail outs stop)

Violence starting.

Floods.

Major corporations going bust (eg BA)

In other words, only if nothing bad happens will the falls continue to be gently down (driven by increases in mortgage conditions).

I'm not that optimistic.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
"It is still WORSE THAN EVER!!!"

From where are you sourcing your data, because I thought we only had records going back to 1971?

Great Britain Historical Database : Labour Markets Database, Government Unemployment Statistics, 1901-1939

There's this but you may have to pay to access it, although I may have access via work.

Unemployment and the UK labour market before, during and after the Golden Age

I'll see if I can access this tomorrow and see what it says.

http://www.port.ac.uk/research/gbhgis/abou...bhistoricalgis/

http://edina.ed.ac.uk/ukborders/

Not sure what data is held here.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://www.cpag.org.uk/info/Povertyarticle...2/80percent.htm

An 80 per cent employment rate

The government wants to raise the UK employment rate to 80 per cent, which could make a real difference to the level of poverty in this country. The objective is ambitious but achievable, providing the government plans to achieve it over the long term, investing in high-quality support for those who need it most. But, warns Richard Exell, any attempt to rush things, or to put unfair pressure on disabled people and other disadvantaged claimants, would put the whole enterprise in a different light – and probably doom it to failure.

From 2005

HOLA4419

http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=275958

International Historical Statistics 1750-2005: Europe

International Historical Statistics; Europe 1750-2005 is the latest edition of the most authoritative collection of statistics available. Updated to 2005 wherever possible, it provides key economic and social indicators for European countries over the last 255 years, serving as an essential reference source.

Provides statistical data in easy to use tables, for the last 255 years (where available) of every country in the European continent, covering:

Population & Vital Statistics

Labour Force

Agriculture

Industry

External Trade

Transport & Communication

Prices

Education

National Accounts

These are provided in a detailed series of subsets: eg unemployment figures, coal production figures etc. In addition, Mitchell provides a useful guide to primary statistical sources worldwide

I would suggest this book will have some good stats.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Great Britain Historical Database : Labour Markets Database, Government Unemployment Statistics, 1901-1939

There's this but you may have to pay to access it, although I may have access via work.

Unemployment and the UK labour market before, during and after the Golden Age

I'll see if I can access this tomorrow and see what it says.

http://www.port.ac.uk/research/gbhgis/abou...bhistoricalgis/

http://edina.ed.ac.uk/ukborders/

Not sure what data is held here.

Would be interested to see how it compares with early 30s, assuming like for like comparison

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article12068.html

How do we take into account the economically inactive fudge?

It's difficult, the numbers have been fudged for so long that historical comparison becomes difficult. Pre war most females didn't count as once the family started there work was over as they had become full time mothers etc...

Then you get the post war fudge in the 80's under the Tories with the move to not counting invalidity claimants as unemployed, under 18's not counting etc.....

So would the different fudging balance themselves out?