House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

India To Issue All 1.2 Billion Citizens With Biometric Id Cards

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6710764.ece

It is surely the biggest Big Brother project yet conceived. India is to issue each of its 1.2 billion citizens, millions of whom live in remote villages and possess no documentary proof of existence, with cyber-age biometric identity cards.

The Government in Delhi recently created the Unique Identification Authority, a new state department charged with the task of assigning every living Indian an exclusive number. It will also be responsible for gathering and electronically storing their personal details, at a predicted cost of at least £3 billion.

The task will be led by Nandan Nilekani, the outsourcing sage who coined the phrase “the world is flatâ€, which became a mantra for supporters of globalisation. “It is a humongous, mind-boggling challenge,†he told The Times. “But we have the opportunity to give every Indian citizen, for the first time, a unique identity. We can transform the country.â€

If the cards were piled on top of each other they would be 150 times as high as Mount Everest — 1,200 kilometres.

India’s legions of local bureaucrats currently issue at least 20 proofs of identity, including birth certificates, driving licences and ration cards. None is accepted universally and moving from one state to the next can easily render a citizen officially invisible — a disastrous predicament for the millions of poor who rely on state handouts to survive.

It is hoped that the ID scheme will close such bureaucratic black holes while also fighting corruption. It may also be put to more controversial ends, such as the identification of illegal immigrants and tackling terrorism. A computer chip in each card will contain personal data and proof of identity, such as fingerprint or iris scans. Criminal records and credit histories may also be included.

Mr Nilekani, who left Infosys, the outsourcing giant that he co-founded, to take up his new job, wants the cards to be linked to a “ubiquitous online database†accessible from anywhere.

The danger, experts say, is that as one of the world’s largest stores of personal information, it will prove an irresistible target for identity thieves. “The database will be one of the largest that ever gets built,†Guru Malladi, a partner at Ernst & Young who was involved in an earlier pilot scheme, said. “It will have to be impregnable.â€

Mr Nilekani will also have to mastermind a way of collecting trustworthy data. Only about 75 million people — or less than 7 per cent of the population — are registered to pay income tax. The Electoral Commission’s voter lists are thought to be largely inaccurate, not least because of manipulation by corrupt

Global big brother looming?

So in India they can do this card for under £3 per person and our govt managed to get the cost to approaching £100 per person.

Obviously I assume Indian govt estimates are like ours and this will end up costing £10+ per person.

Will each card also contain how much debt each person holds?

So in India they can do this card for under £3 per person and our govt managed to get the cost to approaching £100 per person.

Obviously I assume Indian govt estimates are like ours and this will end up costing £10+ per person.

UK public sector IT projects are incompetent messes - if India can run it much more efficiently, then it will be one more nail in the coffin of UK economic prowess

UK public sector IT projects are incompetent messes

Not true: they're very competent at funneling billions and billions of pounds of taxpayers' money to Labour's cronies in big business.

You didn't think they were actually intended to deliver useful, working IT systems, did you? If they were, why would the government keep hiring the usual suspects who delivered expensive, unusable crap the last time?

India should start by issuing its 1.2 billion citizens with food. When they can manage that they can move on to healthcare, then education and then it might be time to think about an ID card.

It is surely the biggest Big Brother project yet conceived. India is to issue each of its 1.2 billion citizens, millions of whom live in remote villages and possess no documentary proof of existence, with cyber-age biometric identity cards.

what proof of existence do they need other than the fact they are

The Government in Delhi recently created the Unique Identification Authority, a new state department charged with the task of assigning every living Indian an exclusive number. It will also be responsible for gathering and electronically storing their personal details, at a predicted cost of at least £3 billion.

great for the non jobs

The task will be led by Nandan Nilekani, the outsourcing sage who coined the phrase “the world is flatâ€, which became a mantra for supporters of globalisation. “It is a humongous, mind-boggling challenge,†he told The Times. “But we have the opportunity to give every Indian citizen, for the first time, a unique identity. We can transform the country.
â€

into one big giant prison

India’s legions of local bureaucrats currently issue at least 20 proofs of identity, including birth certificates, driving licences and ration cards. None is accepted universally and moving from one state to the next can easily render a citizen officially invisible — a disastrous predicament for the millions of poor who rely on state handouts to survive.

and there is the problem

Mr Nilekani, who left Infosys, the outsourcing giant that he co-founded, to take up his new job, wants the cards to be linked to a “ubiquitous online database†accessible from anywhere.

you are f joking

The danger, experts say, is that as one of the world’s largest stores of personal information, it will prove an irresistible target for identity thieves. “The database will be one of the largest that ever gets built,†Guru Malladi, a partner at Ernst & Young who was involved in an earlier pilot scheme, said. “It will have to be impregnable.
†:lol:

is god going to be issuing ID Cards so that people can prove they exist

i need to find a cave

OK for the Dalit community to be left to clean up shit off the streets by hand as the only source of work, but they can afford this ? Obviously part of the NWO plan. Sod human need.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Haha.

I mean, yes, obviously.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

This story is a beauty, neatly encapsulating NWO tyranny with incompetence in the UK government and further evidence of the ridiculous cost of the UK IT industry.

considering the Mumbai terror attacks - and the proximity of Pakistan, I don't really blame them for trying to do this

UK government and further evidence of the ridiculous cost of the UK IT industry.

the UK IT industry used to be fine until the govt got involved

Edited by Si1

considering the Mumbai terror attacks - and the proximity of Pakistan, I don't really blame them for trying to do this

Eh?

Errrr....how will issuing hundreds of millions of cards PREVENT murder??

This story is yet another reminder, to me at least, that there is genuinely a deeply flawed and uncomfortably sinister 'agenda' at work by the many various corporates, vested interests, etc - that just dont want to give up on pushing this whole 'monitoring' and 'surveillance' way of life.

How do these people sleep at night?! Surely there must be other ways to make money, without 'enslaving' the masses?

Edited by anonguest

Economies of scale innit. Although i doubt the population here is as small as people expect, we must have more people than germany now.

India should start by issuing its 1.2 billion citizens with food. When they can manage that they can move on to healthcare, then education...

....and lessons in racial equality.

What?

Please let me know how little plastic cards will prevent terrorism?

What?

Please let me know how little plastic cards will prevent terrorism?

Perhaps you could sharpen the edges in some way and then throw them, like little plastic shuriken, at the miscreants as they try to set their bombs off?

ID cards clearly don't prevent terrorism at all (the Madrid bombers, the 9/11 plotters and so on all had them after all) but they do, assuming there is a central biometric database to go with them, make it a bit easier to identify the remains of anyone who gets blown up as a result of it. Since suicide bombers mostly want everyone to know who they were, it's a reasonable argument that ID cards actually help, not hinder them.

the UK IT industry used to be fine until the govt got involved

I must confess I have no problem with the cost and I use a 100% UK-based outfit. I suppose when you feed them on bloated multi-billion pound schemes that everyone knows will never work they may well lose their edge..............

Taxy taxy. NWO style.

Looks like a change of tack to go for the large populations first instead. China to announce it next?

Have Goldman announced how they're going to package up and sell the future income stream from these 1.2 Billion pension contributors yet?

Edited by Red Kharma

Perhaps you could sharpen the edges in some way and then throw them, like little plastic shuriken, at the miscreants as they try to set their bombs off?

ID cards clearly don't prevent terrorism at all (the Madrid bombers, the 9/11 plotters and so on all had them after all) but they do, assuming there is a central biometric database to go with them, make it a bit easier to identify the remains of anyone who gets blown up as a result of it. Since suicide bombers mostly want everyone to know who they were, it's a reasonable argument that ID cards actually help, not hinder them.

I thought the 'security forces' already had an uncanny ability to find intact passports at sites of bombings.

Taxy taxy. NWO style.

Looks like a change of tack to go for the large populations first instead. China to announce it next?

Have Goldman announced how they're going to package up and sell the future income stream from these 1.2 Billion pension contributors yet?

I hope you're not suggesting that a group is considering interfering in the autonomous free market mechanics of India?

LOL, brought to you by the country whose space rocket was wheeled out to the launchpad on a bullock cart.

They also tried a UK style smoking ban recently in India. It just got completely ignored so the government 'reissued' the ban, Lisbon treaty style, in the hope it would work second time.

I love India and had a great time visiting it, but seriously, if this gets pulled off it will be a miracle!

UK public sector IT projects are incompetent messes - if India can run it much more efficiently, then it will be one more nail in the coffin of UK economic prowess

Isn't UK PLC software written in India?