House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Ridiculous Claim Made On Bbc News.....

This claim was quoted by the reporter on a feature about this idea of charging pensioners a £20,000 lump sum.

What evidence is there that a quarter of children born today can expect to live to 100?

I know that life expectancy has increased, but that is because of better medicine and better living conditions.

There is no evidence that the natural lifespan of healthy humans has changed since pre-Roman times, so it's not about to change suddenly now. The only centenarian I've ever known personally was a woman who lived to 103, although I knew her when she was in her 80s and thought she was very old then!

Edited by blankster

This claim was quoted by the reporter on a feature about this idea of charging pensioners a £20,000 lump sum.

What evidence is there that a quarter of children born today can expect to live to 100?

I know that life expectancy has increased, but that is because of better medicine and better living conditions.

There is no evidence that the natural lifespan of healthy humans has changed since pre-Roman times, so it's not about to change suddenly now. The only centenarian I've ever known was a woman who lived to 103, although I knew her when she was in her 80s and thought she was very old then!

A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down, the medicine go down.

To me, it looks like the 'statistic' has been invented to help sell the policy - like you say, a spoonful of sugar........

The same statistic might make it a little bit easier to sell the retirement at 70 idea too! Watch out for it cropping up again.

It's the climate-change thing all over again. ""We are already seeing evidence of more weather and more temperatures and can expect to see even more weather and temperatures in the future unless people stop using plastic carrier bags tomorrow".

Edited by blankster

The other 75% will be culled before the age of 30. There'll be more resources for the "chosen" 25% so there's no reason why they shouldn't live to be 100 :ph34r:

:lol:

There is no evidence that the natural lifespan of healthy humans has changed since pre-Roman times, so it's not about to change suddenly now. The only centenarian I've ever known personally was a woman who lived to 103, although I knew her when she was in her 80s and thought she was very old then!

Or join the army and die and 18 fighting a campaign to line the pockets of the rich!

Or join the army and die and 18 fighting a campaign to line the pockets of the rich!

they might consider the nuclear option.....Im sure a terrorist somewhere is.

I think they probably mean children born today will have to work until their 100 to pay off the debts this Government has run up.

:lol:

my first thought on reading this is that they are promoting whole of life mortgages and loans - "you're gonna be 100 and work until you're 80 so of course you can afford £300,000 for that one bedder in Shirley"

I'm not convinced. The average life expectancy has actually plummeted in the last three generations (its what, barely 75 for men now?). People from the Victorian era have lived into their 90s just fine... we eat poorly and have less free time with more work stress and longer hours.

Edited by HPC001

I also heard another forecast that with the supposed obesity epidemic, we have reached 'peak' life expectancy and that today's younger generation will not live, on average, as long as their parents' generation.

I also heard another forecast that with the supposed obesity epidemic, we have reached 'peak' life expectancy and that today's younger generation will not live, on average, as long as their parents' generation.

Yes, i read something along the lines of this being the first generation of children to have lower life expectancy than their parents. Ok they are likely to smoke and drink less than their predecessors but the fact that so many of them are classified as obese before they even hit high school does not bode well for their futures.

The number of fat kids I see these days is shocking, seeing them waddling from their parents cars into the school grounds on my way to work is very very sad. Scotland is apparently rapidly catching up with the US as being a country full of lard ar*es.

Tell the young they might live to a hundred and they might not mind so much working to 75 to pay other people's early pension at 55.

Edited by OnlyMe

Seems to me there is no consensus on life expectancy.

The health lobby are promoting their message of worsening life expectancy unless we pour money into health promotion. I'm a GP but not convinced this information is unbiased.

The pensions lobby are promoting their message of increasing life expectancy requiring us to pour money into financial services. It's fairly clear this information is likely to be biased.

The ones I would trust are actuarial calculations of pension companies - the ones they use for internal planning NOT the statements they put out for public consumption. Any insiders here know what these are predicting?