House Price Crash Forum
questionsquestions

North London: Finchley Vs Walthamstow

OH and I have decided to buy, not because of our great belief that house prices are now going up, but because we can no longer stand renting. We've settled on Finchley (Central) or Walthamstow (Central/Village), knowing it may be years before we are able to sell and move on. In which area would you choose to see out the recession?

OH and I have decided to buy, not because of our great belief that house prices are now going up, but because we can no longer stand renting. We've settled on Finchley (Central) or Walthamstow (Central/Village), knowing it may be years before we are able to sell and move on. In which area would you choose to see out the recession?

Why would anyone who can consider Finchley even think about Walthamstow?

That's like asking someone who can afford either, whether they'd like a brand new Rolls Royce or a 1997 Ford Fiesta 1.1L with 154,000 on the clock and no service history (for the same price as the new Rolls) :blink::blink: .. :o

Why would we look at Walthamstow as well as Finchley? Because we can get twice as much space for the money, and because the victoria line is (usually) better than the northern. And because we are swayed by the peer pressure of all our contempories telling us how cool it is, and how boring N3 is. But I'm not convinced Walthamstow is any more interesting, unless you really rate kebabs...

Why would we look at Walthamstow as well as Finchley? Because we can get twice as much space for the money, and because the victoria line is (usually) better than the northern. And because we are swayed by the peer pressure of all our contempories telling us how cool it is, and how boring N3 is. But I'm not convinced Walthamstow is any more interesting, unless you really rate kebabs...

Walthamstow is interesting if you like '£' and kebab shops in a 'vibrant' atmosphere and you think it's 'cool' to survive the daily walks to and from the station to home each day, having (hopefully) successfully avoided the muggers along the way.

If you are desperate to experience all of that, then Walthamstow is the place for you.

For me, life is too short for such extravagances.

Walthamstow is interesting if you like '£' and kebab shops in a 'vibrant' atmosphere and you think it's 'cool' to survive the daily walks to and from the station to home each day, having (hopefully) successfully avoided the muggers along the way.

If you are desperate to experience all of that, then Walthamstow is the place for you.

Well said. Better a 1 bed in Finchley than a 5 bed house in Walthamstow.

Walthamstow 'village' :lol::lol::lol:

There's a very simple reason why Finchley is more expensive, and it's not due to tube lines.

Walthamstow is a toilet, Finchley is nice and desirable (to quote EAs).

Go figure, and best of luck.

heh ... funny that... been doing that for over 20 years from the village and never seen trouble, let alone having it .

Prices will be higher around the village . pie eaters never been there at a guess . It is a different feel from central and a lot quieter .

A 5 bed terrace in that area will set you back around £450k plus .if you can find one. Most are flat conversions .

heh ... funny that... been doing that for over 20 years from the village and never seen trouble, let alone having it .

Prices will be higher around the village . pie eaters never been there at a guess . It is a different feel from central and a lot quieter .

A 5 bed terrace in that area will set you back around £450k plus .if you can find one. Most are flat conversions .

I used to be on the beat around the 'village', ta. I know it top to bottom and better than any resident; hence my humour at the village tag.

The area has huge issues with drugs, burglary and car crime. Finchley has lower levels of all 3.

Your writing hints at EA or VI.

Again, prices in London are made because of how nice they are. E17 isn't nice, hence it's cheap. Tottenham is cheap because it's awful - and near Walthamstow. Weird, eh?

nope ... a resident since the late 80's... ...I guess every beat cop who works in the east end has tales to tell .... cant say I would want to live in tottenham either ... but people do

I have lived and worked in rough areas of london .I lived on the Peckham Rye for a few months in the early 80's (which was the lowest point ) Brixton's electric ave during the riots , Walworth road, Elephant , Acton, Colindale and Dalston Part of my old job meant that I visited a lot of homes for installations (No ... I'm not an EA or burglar ) I do know what rough does look like .

And as for post codes ..well.. like the NHS its a bit of a lottery ...you will get good bits along with the bad ... heh ... and chalkhill farm is about the same distance from finchley as I am from Tottenham ... and Chelsea is even more expensive ...weird eh

Finchley is more expensive , It does have a lower crime rate . Google will tell you that , but from my own experience I just don't recognise that description of where I live that's all ... I'm happy here . Its not a "shit hole" .

each to their own

nope ... a resident since the late 80's... ...I guess every beat cop who works in the east end has tales to tell .... cant say I would want to live in tottenham either ... but people do

I have lived and worked in rough areas of london .I lived on the Peckham Rye for a few months in the early 80's (which was the lowest point ) Brixton's electric ave during the riots , Walworth road, Elephant , Acton, Colindale and Dalston Part of my old job meant that I visited a lot of homes for installations (No ... I'm not an EA or burglar ) I do know what rough does look like .

And as for post codes ..well.. like the NHS its a bit of a lottery ...you will get good bits along with the bad ... heh ... and chalkhill farm is about the same distance from finchley as I am from Tottenham ... and Chelsea is even more expensive ...weird eh

Finchley is more expensive , It does have a lower crime rate . Google will tell you that , but from my own experience I just don't recognise that description of where I live that's all ... I'm happy here . Its not a "shit hole" .

each to their own

Are you seriously saying that you're happy because you live in Walthamstow?! :blink:

I can understand that you may be happy, and I can understand that you live in Walthamstow, but surely living in Walthamstow isn't ADDING to your happiness, is it? :huh:

The only advantage I can think of of Walthamstow over Finchley is the fact that the former is on the Victoria Line which will zip you into Central London in 10-15 minutes.

Finchley is on the Northern Line. If you attempt to use that to commute every day you will slowly lose the will to live as it travels at a walking pace past the 896 stations between there and Tottenham Court Road or Bank.

It is a nicer place, although I'd venture to say that the main characteristic of both is boredom. Suburban leafy boredom in Finchley, more gritty boredom in Walthamstow. Unless you mean East Finchley, which is more bearable.

pie-eater, don't you think being a copper gives you a rather disportionate view of an area?

Are you seriously saying that you're happy because you live in Walthamstow?! :blink:

I can understand that you may be happy, and I can understand that you live in Walthamstow, but surely living in Walthamstow isn't ADDING to your happiness, is it? :huh:

Uhh ...... ok ...I like living here then... Its not a negative factor .... ... I don't run to dodge snipers in the morning that's all I'm saying ...

........................ and I like kebabs

Finchley has to be better, Finchley Central nice, East Finchley very nice, North Finchley nicer, West Finchley class.....Finchley Road forget it. ;)

The only advantage I can think of of Walthamstow over Finchley is the fact that the former is on the Victoria Line which will zip you into Central London in 10-15 minutes.

Finchley is on the Northern Line. If you attempt to use that to commute every day you will slowly lose the will to live as it travels at a walking pace past the 896 stations between there and Tottenham Court Road or Bank.

It is a nicer place, although I'd venture to say that the main characteristic of both is boredom. Suburban leafy boredom in Finchley, more gritty boredom in Walthamstow. Unless you mean East Finchley, which is more bearable.

pie-eater, don't you think being a copper gives you a rather disportionate view of an area?

I wouldn't call Walthamstow boring. I played pubs gigs there when I was a teen, and the pub I played in was torched a week later. This happened a lot.

My dad was also kidnapped there. Yes, kidnapped. Bundled into the boot of his car and abandoned in there in a car park after the kidnappers were spotted by a passer-by who said he was going to call the police.

Haven't been kidnapped/torched/mugged or on the beat in Walthamstow - what I have done is lived here for ten years and I love it. Four of my friends have followed me and moved here and they all love it too.

Am originally from massive northern county with nobody in it/one sheep-related crime incident every 75 years - and I don't find it any more scary than that was. Could now live in smaller accommodation in most places in London - don't think the swap's worst it.

Certainly WOULDN'T swap it for Finchley of all places!

Haven't been kidnapped/torched/mugged or on the beat in Walthamstow - what I have done is lived here for ten years and I love it. Four of my friends have followed me and moved here and they all love it too.

Am originally from massive northern county with nobody in it/one sheep-related crime incident every 75 years - and I don't find it any more scary than that was. Could now live in smaller accommodation in most places in London - don't think the swap's worst it.

Certainly WOULDN'T swap it for Finchley of all places!

So, since the credit boom got going then.

Just wait until the recession really hits.

I've lived in Finchley for many years. I love it as it's clean and safe with good transport links, schools, shops, parks and amenities, and it's just a short drive to Hampstead Heath and the rolling hills of Hertfordshire.

I can be in either the West End or the City in just over half an hour, which is great for work and going out.

Yes it's a bit dull compared with some of the more 'vibrant' areas of London but in a way its anonymity is its strength if you like a bit of peace and quiet.

IMHO the only major advantage Walthamstow has apart from price, is that you're guaranteed a seat on the tube each morning, whereas you sometimes have to stand by the time the train from High Barnet arrives at West Finchley or Finchley Central.

Edited by doogie

Finchley every time.

Walthamstow Village I admit is just about bearable, but it's surrounded by a sea of horror.

It also seems to attract a certain type of middle class person who has to pretend they like living in a slum because it's 'edgy', not because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

Finchley has one or two dodgy estates, but these are easily avoided. It's not great for pubs or shops either, but the schools are good and there are nice parks, libraries, period houses, leafy lanes with Victorian churches, etc.

It's also a lot nicer IMO than surrounding areas in Barnet like Hendon and Golders Green. It seems to have retained a sort of Edwardian gentility that those areas have lost (or never had in the first place). It's also cosmopolitan in a good way; with largely assimilated Asian and liberal Jewish communities and a long established Japanese community around the West Finchley area.

Basically a quiet, decent, 'respectable' place for families.

Edited by Austin Allegro

seems to be a lot of snobbery on this thread about walthamstow

i lived there for 26 years and lived to tell the tale

the stows superior transport links (eg five rail/tube stations and countless bus routes) lick boring finchley every time

seems to be a lot of snobbery on this thread about walthamstow

i lived there for 26 years and lived to tell the tale

the stows superior transport links (eg five rail/tube stations and countless bus routes) lick boring finchley every time

....horses for courses...not the same without the dogs. ;)