House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

babesagainstmachines

Beerflation

But at least drinking that much you don't have to worry about getting old?

(And if it's that bottled stuff try lidl, they have some of the same beers & might be cheaper)

My usual purchase of real ale has just gone up by 10%. 4 real ales were £5, now £5.50 (Morrisons).

I'm not sure I can afford the extra £10 a week :(

Tell me your joking about how much you drink in a week?

My usual purchase of real ale has just gone up by 10%. 4 real ales were £5, now £5.50 (Morrisons).

I'm not sure I can afford the extra £10 a week :(

Brew your own, I can brew my own real ale better than any bottle beer and comparable to a good draught ale in the pub for 25P a pint. My local is £3.10 for a pint of my favourite. Don't brew with kits, use the all grain method which is exactly how the micro brewers brew, it is the only way to get the comparable quality. Not a bad hoby as well. :rolleyes:

I would suggest driving to Majestic to buy by the case, but if you're really getting through that much a day I won't!

Yes, Lidl do do really good real ales; not much by variety but they carry Shepherd Neame and Fullers so you can't really go wrong there.

I've used online sellers, where the beer is cheap but the postage a killer so that's no better.

I would suggest driving to Majestic to buy by the case, but if you're really getting through that much a day I won't!

Yes, Lidl do do really good real ales; not much by variety but they carry Shepherd Neame and Fullers so you can't really go wrong there.

I've used online sellers, where the beer is cheap but the postage a killer so that's no better.

amen

Brew your own, I can brew my own real ale better than any bottle beer and comparable to a good draught ale in the pub for 25P a pint. My local is £3.10 for a pint of my favourite. Don't brew with kits, use the all grain method which is exactly how the micro brewers brew, it is the only way to get the comparable quality. Not a bad hoby as well. :rolleyes:

Hi confounded, I have been using beer kits so far and have had good results. I have used a pressure barrel to brew beer in the past (that's how my dad survived thatcher's 80's with homebrew!) but this time I have been using bottles.

Instead of buying empty bottles I went out and bought, over time, bottles of brown ale to get a good stock of bottles together. These are strong and are full-pint bottles ideal for leaving the sediment behind when you pour the beer into a glass. Anyhow it's working out between 17 and 25p a pint depending on the kit type.

Although I don't smoke I think the smoking ban has ruined the pubs and clubs. There's not much point in going out if all the pubs are empty. Clubs are suffering because they cannot attract turns and the bingo prize money is falling due to lack of people getting in on certain days. Small steady increases (an example of exponential growth) has got us to the point where the price of a pint is now crazy. When I'm out I'm not bothered about how much I spend, but my local economy are suffering to the tune of about 70 to 150 quid a week - that's just from me alone!

Pub landlords are in trouble. Once a pub loses custom it is eventually forced to raise prices to meet its overheads. Taxi drivers are in for a tough time too.

Could you provide links /any info regarding the 'grain method' please?

It's not just for my consumption. I have the baby to think about too ;)

I hope you are a good dad and give him the odd puff on a ciggy too.

Jim's is the one!

However for all the newbies to homebrew, there are some great kits.

Personal recommendations are :

Woodfords Wherry - £15 for a 40 pints kit. You never get 40 pints due to wastage, so lets say 15 quid for 35 pints = 43p a pint!

Muntons imperial stout -- about £15 also, lovely!

And if you want some cheapness.

Coopers stout = about 12 quid including extra spray malt = LOVELY!

Finally,

Geordie mild = about 7 quid + sugar = £7.50. Not exactly the best brew, but done properly not bad at all, if chilled properly. If your used to cans like, stones, mewans export etc. This'll be right up your street!

Also get a pressure barrel, you can have your beer on tap!

Cheers!

Was just about to post the same links. Lots of useful information. All grain can be time consuming although in my opinion it is worth it. Kits lack the hop flavours I like although they do produce an easy to make drinkable pint.

Was just about to post the same links. Lots of useful information. All grain can be time consuming although in my opinion it is worth it. Kits lack the hop flavours I like although they do produce an easy to make drinkable pint.

Couldn't you just "modify" a kit brew somehow by adding hops or a say boiling your hopes in the initial mix water? All the grain prep likes a real faff.

Thanks for your replies so far - I'm almost ready for a pint!

I have brewed a few different kinds this year. I have did all the Geordie brand ones (these were only £5.78 a kit at Morrisons) - the scottish one was good. I also regularly brew EDME Irish Stout (£9.99) - I get good results with this one everytime. My friends and family all like it too. I'm currently trying out their German lager, that one is in the fermentation barrel now. Oh and I have just bottled a Tom Caxton Best Bitter. (I have two fermentation barrels and approx 120 bottles in the garage to keep me going). I'm not really a lager drinker - I haven't had much luck brewing lager so far.

I wonder if anyone can recommend a kit that tastes similar to Black Sheep Beer? I have fond memories of drinking that at uni!

As a northerner I prefer more malty northern beers. Also is there any good wheat beer kits available?

I agree it's a good hobby and like gardening and cooking, good skills to have for tough economic times. I have learnt a lot from HPC and enjoy the forum.

To be fair, Morrisons have been doing 4 for a fiver for at least six years, so you've done ok.

Couldn't you just "modify" a kit brew somehow by adding hops or a say boiling your hopes in the initial mix water? All the grain prep likes a real faff.

It is somthing many people advise to try before going to the expense and time of all grain brewing. Not tried it myself but it may be a good compromise/approach. I work from home so can do alot of the time consuming things in between work, Mashing takes 1 1/2 hours where you do nothing and boiling largely can be left to itself with the occasional check.

Bottled beers never taste anywhere near as good as the real thing. At £5.50 for 4*500ml bottles you're paying around £1.50 a pint, your local Wetherspoon's probably has a far tastier collection for only 20p or 30p more depending on where you live. If you're happier with a weaker brew I think Ruddles is £1.29/pint as well but I feel like my stomach's drowning before I feel anything if I go out and drink sub 5% brews. Plus you don't have the hassle of going shopping and lugging a load of bottles home if you go to the pub and I've always found Wetherspoon patrons an interesting bunch. :lol:

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Hi confounded, I have been using beer kits so far and have had good results. I have used a pressure barrel to brew beer in the past (that's how my dad survived thatcher's 80's with homebrew!) but this time I have been using bottles.

Instead of buying empty bottles I went out and bought, over time, bottles of brown ale to get a good stock of bottles together. These are strong and are full-pint bottles ideal for leaving the sediment behind when you pour the beer into a glass. Anyhow it's working out between 17 and 25p a pint depending on the kit type.

Although I don't smoke I think the smoking ban has ruined the pubs and clubs. There's not much point in going out if all the pubs are empty. Clubs are suffering because they cannot attract turns and the bingo prize money is falling due to lack of people getting in on certain days. Small steady increases (an example of exponential growth) has got us to the point where the price of a pint is now crazy. When I'm out I'm not bothered about how much I spend, but my local economy are suffering to the tune of about 70 to 150 quid a week - that's just from me alone!

Pub landlords are in trouble. Once a pub loses custom it is eventually forced to raise prices to meet its overheads. Taxi drivers are in for a tough time too.

Could you provide links /any info regarding the 'grain method' please?

All the smoking ban has done is replace a large regular client base with a much smaller one comprised of total *****ers.

All the smoking ban has done is replace a large regular client base with a much smaller one comprised of total *****ers.

Good business plan, get rid of the guys who have 6 or 8 pints after work and smoke a pack of fags in the process, and wo drink a bit more at the weekends. Replace them with the guys who have a 3 bean salad and a white wine spritzer 2 or 3 times a month. Can't fail to make money, look at the overheads you save by not have to provide and clean ashtrays.