House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Bear

Berkhamsted

Does anyone have any insight into the market in Berkhamsted?

There seem to be very few properties on the market, and these are asking 2007 peak prices, hence a waste of time even viewing for me at least.

As someone currently living abroad but returning to the UK (and seeking some guidance), how does Berkhamsted compare on the usual metrics (schools, commuting, quality of life etc..) to other similar nearby towns like Amersham, Beaconsfield or Harpenden?

Thanks, AB.

Berko is just over the hill from me, but it seems to me that it is still in the grip of enduring delusion about the town's worth

and desirability. Perhaps something to do with the rail links to London, for those unfortunate to have to use such facilities.

Chesham (5 miles ) offers more affordability, and better schools, retaining selective education. Though the town is scrubbier, and not so

'smart' it has a lot going for it, especially if you can live on the rural periphery.

I don't know Berkhamstead but have been watching the Beaconsfield and Amersham area for the last two years.

Beaconsfield is really nice but top whack. Do not expect to get a bargain there. Three bedroom semis without garages (probably ex local authority) in the poor part of town start at £350k. Amersham is cheaper and Chesham is cheaper again but some of the areas aren't that desirable so be careful where you look.

Prices have dropped but the market has started moving again over the last four weeks and houses coming on at the right price are selling fast.

Hope that helps.

Not sure I believe that but I do know someone who has just sold out there at a fair to good price. The agents told them that the market was extremely difficult in Bkhmsted. Nothing about Bkhmstead but because prices have softened so much in London that it makes living in London very affordable. They also moved into London but are renting for now.

I don't know Berkhamstead but have been watching the Beaconsfield and Amersham area for the last two years.

Beaconsfield is really nice but top whack. Do not expect to get a bargain there. Three bedroom semis without garages (probably ex local authority) in the poor part of town start at £350k. Amersham is cheaper and Chesham is cheaper again but some of the areas aren't that desirable so be careful where you look.

Prices have dropped but the market has started moving again over the last four weeks and houses coming on at the right price are selling fast.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone have any insight into the market in Berkhamsted?

There seem to be very few properties on the market, and these are asking 2007 peak prices, hence a waste of time even viewing for me at least.

As someone currently living abroad but returning to the UK (and seeking some guidance), how does Berkhamsted compare on the usual metrics (schools, commuting, quality of life etc..) to other similar nearby towns like Amersham, Beaconsfield or Harpenden?

Thanks, AB.

I live in Berkhamsted and love it here. I don't commute but when I've used the train service I've had no complaints it's about 35 mins + to Euston. Schools are excellent until 13 (infants til about 9, then junior til 13), then just mediocre but the state Senior School Ashlyns has a new Head, who is meant to turn things around. If you want Grammar schools kids can and do apply to Chesham's Grammar via 11+. My son has gone from below average to way above by our local schools dedication within only one year. Lovely High street, very busy, very much used by locals. Check out the parks, canal, restaurants and The Rex (Art Deco Cinema). That is the good news.

Bad news houses are expensive, we could only afford a 1920's semi which we gutted and added an extension to but it's paid off, because of the demand for good family accomodation. Second bit of bad news, parking, many properties are Victorian terraced with off street parking only, unless you buy on the outskirts of town or want newish build (small gardens), this is assuming you don't have £700K to spend that is.

As has been pointed out Beaconsfield too pricey, Amersham about the same as Berko I would have said, Harpenden has a lovely feel to it but I don't know much about it other than that. You could try Tring or Boxmoor as a cheaper alternative (but I personally wouldn't want to live in Chesham).

Tip look on Rightmove and click box include properties under offer STC, and compare to total for sale not STC, you will see that more than 50% of properties for sale are already under offer in Berko. Not entirely reliable I agree but a good guideline to demand.

Hope this helps.

I had a look at the town some time ago but IIRC there wasn't much available to rent. Just looked again and I'm staggered by how much there is available; 5 pages on Rightmove at under £1,000 - that really doesn't look right!

just been looking there as a cheaper alternative to st albans for me in the quiant 2 bed cottage market. Seems to be mainly SSTC at the moment with the properties that aren't looking more expensive. I can see why it should be at a premium to other areas though as it looked lovely to me in the old conservation area and the trains aren't too bad. Hard to compare to 2007 for me as I don't know the area that well