House Price Crash Forum
notthereyet

More Wage Cuts Ba Pilots Now Accept Cut

British Airways pilots have voted overwhelmingly to accept a 2.6% pay cut, the British Airline Pilots' Association (Balpa) has announced.

The cut is designed to save the troubled airline up to £26m a year in running costs. In return for the cut, the pilots will receive shares in BA.

Collectively, they will receive shares in the airline in three years' time, worth £13m, as part of the deal.

Ok, what am I missing. (apart from hoping that BA pilots are better at flying planes than maths).

All this hyperinflation is making my head spin.

All this hyperinflation is making my head spin.

Same here.

Well, it's either that or a side effect from the mould growing on all those Big Macs I've got stored in the fridge in anticipation of flogging them for $10,000 at a later date.

Constantly amazed at these wages.

25 - 110K with an average of 80. Je5u5.

So according to UK society, the most useful people are:

1. Investment bankers.

2. GPs

3. Airline pilots.

4. Politicians.

5. Dentists.

6. Surgeons.

7. Train drivers.

... in order of income. Nice mix.

... and which of these fine professions do we export to balance our global consumption? Anyone?

Edited by AvidFan

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

1. Investment bankers.

2. GPs

3. Airline pilots.

4. Politicians.

5. Dentists.

6. Surgeons.

7. Train drivers.

... and which of these fine professions do we export to balance our global consumption? Anyone?

Feel free to export me if you like.

Airline pilots are massively overpaid 99.9% of the time. Problem with this logic is that if you are a passenger, that remaining 0.1% of the time when the SHTF, then airline pilots are the most underpaid profession there is. You don't want a pilot to be earning his money.

Airline pilots are massively overpaid 99.9% of the time. Problem with this logic is that if you are a passenger, that remaining 0.1% of the time when the SHTF, then airline pilots are the most underpaid profession there is. You don't want a pilot to be earning his money.

I have it on good authority (I know three airline pilots no less!) that auto-takeoff, auto-fly and auto-land are already built in to modern aircraft - the pilot's role can be relegated to being supervisory for these systems most of the time.

In fact far more accidents happen when the pilot takes control than when they leave it alone and enjoy their erm .. "hot chocolate with a flake in it"*.

* this term has some special significance among pilots. I can guess, but I can't quite remember what exactly it means.

I think many missing the point here.

BA pays its pilots (roughly) between 30% and 50% more than nearly anyone else in the industry.

At, say, 27.5% more than their peers they are still doing OK.

I can't say I've ever noticed BA planes were flown better than others though.

I have it on good authority (I know three airline pilots no less!) that auto-takeoff, auto-fly and auto-land are already built in to modern aircraft - the pilot's role can be relegated to being supervisory for these systems most of the time.

In fact far more accidents happen when the pilot takes control than when they leave it alone and enjoy their erm .. "hot chocolate with a flake in it"*.

* this term has some special significance among pilots. I can guess, but I can't quite remember what exactly it means.

"hot chocolate with a flake in it" ??????????????? never heard anyone say that before!

Also, no commercial aircraft has an 'auto-takeoff' built in. It would be quite easy to create but would serve no operational benefit, unlike autoland.

What do you do?

He's a GP. A locum in fact IIRC.

I suspect he doesn't own and manage his own large practice so I doubt he'd make that list at all, like most GPs.

I find it depressing this Daily Mail "fact" is now so widely believed.

Edited by Cogs

There is a well known anecdote among airline pilots where a pilot entered "Auto Lands Hard" in his aircraft's log. An engineer wrote below, "This aircraft is not fitted with Auto Land".

Not sure of the airline.

x3

man who'd take equity in the titanic like business that is BA.they must be sitting on some pretty hefty short positions.

read on here the other day-so don't know how true it is,but ryanair and virgin air stewards earn between 11k and 14k,BA on the other hand earn 29k.now assuming similar other variable and fixed costs eg airport slots,fuel,planes,who's gonna be seeing this recession through to it's end?

BA's workforceremind me of the seventies and red robbo.ever seen that peter sellers movie where he's the union rep in a bog factory.

'that's it,we're out!'

A pedant writes;

Peter Sellers was the union rep in a missile factory - 'I'm All Right Jack' Boulting Brothers comedy 1959.

Kenneth Cope played the union rep in the bog factory, literally, as it was named W C Boggs & Sons, in the 1971 Film 'Carry On at Your Convenience'.

However, top films both!

He's a GP. A locum in fact IIRC.

I suspect he doesn't own and manage his own large practice so I doubt he'd make that list at all, like most GPs.

I find it depressing this Daily Mail "fact" is now so widely believed.

What's the attraction of beign a locum GP?

I was looking at switching docs today and I wondered what that was about. Is it a lifestyle choice... do you get a higher rate for contracting?

Open question.

Same here.

Well, it's either that or a side effect from the mould growing on all those Big Macs I've got stored in the fridge in anticipation of flogging them for $10,000 at a later date.

Isn't there a website that claims fries and burgers don't go off?

3. Airline pilots.

I assume you've never considered flying as a career and the costs involved in gaining a type-rated CPL where not paid for by a bursary?

What's the attraction of being a locum GP?

I don't know but there's quite an attractive locum GP down Lymington way. There's definite benefits in seeing her. ;)

I assume you've never considered flying as a career and the costs involved in gaining a type-rated CPL where not paid for by a bursary?

My son did but just too bloody expensive. At the end of the day I don't think they are overpaid-you give them good money for landing in the Hudson, not flying auto-pilot. Think that's the point IMHO.

I don't know but there's quite an attractive locum GP down Lymington way. There's definite benefits in seeing her. ;)

Is this her ?

doctorsadventures45.jpg

Is this her ?

Went to a BUPA Hospital (Solihull) the other day for the company provided annual check-up. Sweet Jesus, I think they only employ petite blonde twenty-something 'medical assistants' (not nurses, I was told).

I'm guessing it's different in NHS Hospitals ..?

Dunno how to get this back on topic :blink: Oh yeah, I've never met a pilot (commercial or military) who wasn't a complete nob so fook em all ...

Went to a BUPA Hospital (Solihull) the other day for the company provided annual check-up. Sweet Jesus, I think they only employ petite blonde twenty-something 'medical assistants' (not nurses, I was told).

Dunno how to get this back on topic :blink: Oh yeah, I've never met a pilot (commercial or military) who wasn't a complete nob so fook em all ...

Think I may get one of those Bupa health check things.

:lol:

Have you met Peter Skellan?

HPC's very own resident Pilot and cheer leader for Ryanair

1. Investment bankers.

2. GPs

3. Airline pilots.

4. Politicians.

5. Dentists.

6. Surgeons.

7. Train drivers.

Errr, I think plumbers should be in there and probably above dentist's! If you want to use the plumber I use, stick him up above the Airline pilot!

:lol: Have you met Peter Skellan? HPC's very own resident Pilot and cheer leader for Ryanair

Ah, errr ... well there are always exceptions to my enormous generalisations :)

Hang on, Ryanair?!?!? Jesus, don't even go there, worst airline I've ever used :angry: