House Price Crash Forum

Policemen

worzel

HOLA441
Worzel, I do not know why so many posters are laying into you, your post appears acceptable enough to me. They were not there to see and feel the mood and tone of the situation, they are guessing at it. I fear the posters will give you more of a good kicking than the police could or would!

I have a cousin who joined the Surrey police, he did his training and worked in Reigate. To those than know Reigate it is both affluent and quite pleasant with no great history of any trouble at all. He was asked to leave the police because of his dislike of the police causing problems where there had been none. I think he said "lack of moral fibre". He gave me a typical example of the way things were. He was instructed to cross the high street with another copper and engage in winding people up leaving the pub, he told me one of the coppers was know to be able to wind anyone up to the point of being able to arrest them which happened on many occasions. He also told me he had never failed to get stuck in to any event he attended including the good old fashion pub fight on the very rare occasion there was one. He did indeed leave and to this day is bitter at his treatment and the treatment of the public that he was there to serve!

To any policeman /policewoman / police horse and especially police dog reading this, my name is not Tim Miller and I did not live in Surrey, I swear it! I waz no where near Surrey, I don nuffink wrong.

Thanks Tim. It never was the biggest deal to me, but others on here seemed to want me to be really fired up about it, when really it was just an observation of sloppy policing as a topic of discussion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Worzel, I do not know why so many posters are laying into you, your post appears acceptable enough to me. They were not there to see and feel the mood and tone of the situation, they are guessing at it. I fear the posters will give you more of a good kicking than the police could or would!

I have a cousin who joined the Surrey police, he did his training and worked in Reigate. To those than know Reigate it is both affluent and quite pleasant with no great history of any trouble at all. He was asked to leave the police because of his dislike of the police causing problems where there had been none. I think he said "lack of moral fibre". He gave me a typical example of the way things were. He was instructed to cross the high street with another copper and engage in winding people up leaving the pub, he told me one of the coppers was know to be able to wind anyone up to the point of being able to arrest them which happened on many occasions. He also told me he had never failed to get stuck in to any event he attended including the good old fashion pub fight on the very rare occasion there was one. He did indeed leave and to this day is bitter at his treatment and the treatment of the public that he was there to serve!

To any policeman /policewoman / police horse and especially police dog reading this, my name is not Tim Miller and I did not live in Surrey, I swear it! I waz no where near Surrey, I don nuffink wrong.

I must add that I took rugby up later than most, played football twice a week as well. My first game against the Met police left me shocked for a minute or two. The whistle blew to signal the start. Off we all start running, I was on the wing, well bu@@er me if it was not like open warfare as the two side collided, fists flying everywhere and none to subtle either. I am thinking I must have missed something, or maybe this was to settle an old score. I pick myself up and get ready for the off again, exactly the same thing happens again, albeit this time I am now pinned down under the forwards. I look up to see plod standing there eyeing me up, eyeing me was the soon to be discovered right term, the git kicked me right in my head using my eye as the first point of contact. I am now getting miffed, I asked one of our players WTF is going on, he said and I quote "they figure it's the only time you'll get a chance to punch a copper and get away with it, so they get in first".

Needless to say I spent the whole game searching for the right moment to return the favor to their number 13, five minutes from the end my chance came, oh deep joy as I gave him a black eye with my right boot leather. The funny thing, in the bar after he congratulated me on a fine kick and bought the first pint of many. Happy days!

HOLA443

We're laying in as you put it, because it seems like such an over-reaction to a complete non event. Swiftly followed by folk posting their own anecdotes about how naff the Police are.

HOLA444
We're laying in as you put it, because it seems like such an over-reaction to a complete non event. Swiftly followed by folk posting their own anecdotes about how naff the Police are.

It just seemed a bit OTT to me, a bit harsh with personal attacks which to be honest Mar this site. I plead guilty to doing so myself with a couple of bulls. If it was such a "non event", why have posters tried turning into one? Anyway I added my own bad experiences in as well, you get good and you get bad coppers, just like anywhere else.

HOLA445
It just seemed a bit OTT to me, a bit harsh with personal attacks which to be honest Mar this site. I plead guilty to doing so myself with a couple of bulls. If it was such a "non event", why have posters tried turning into one?

What is a forum (classical or modern) if not a place to put a opinion up for scrutiny.

May it stand or fall on it's merit.

HOLA446
I am sure there might be some good policemen out there, but there sure are alot of wasters from what I see. Example is on Friday night, I arrive at Victoria station quite late at night, the gates to teh station are shut and there are two policemen outside (well one real one, one PCSO). True to form, they were chatting up a couple of drunk girls, which they seem to make quite a habit of. Anyway, since they appeared to be standing guard I politely enquired what time the gates were opening in case the station had been shut for some kind of security alert. They replied that they did not know as the sattion was nothing to do with them. This was not very helpful, so I just asked them what they were doing there then, to which they replied that they were just passing through, they then continued to chat up the girls ina cringworthy fashion.

Anyway, they eventually leave, and arrive back 10 minutes later, holding a different girls hand (I think she was a local prostitute from the way she was dressed). The three of them were let in to the station which was still closed, and someone joked that you had to be wearing pink to get in the station. To this the policeman turned around and aggressively told the person that said it to shut their face as they had no idea what the young lady had just been through. Everyone who was stood their was really shocked by the aggression of the guy. If the a polieman loses his rag over such an innocent comment on a friday night, then how can they be trusted to stay calm and rational in a genuinly stressfull situation? I I was the young lady concerned, I dont think I would have appreciated another aggressive man shouting if I had just been through some kid of ordeal, so it seems the only person that this rant benefited was this guys ego.

Umm. You sound like you've "been about a bit". If so you should have figured out by now the police are just another gang of thugs with their own agenda. Best kept away from if at all possible.

I asked someone once why he joined up. He said : "I like fighting. If you join the police you can do it, get paid for it, not get locked up for it, and always be on the winning side".

HOLA447
What is a forum (classical or modern) if not a place to put a opinion up for scrutiny.

May it stand or fall on it's merit.

A bit too judgmental for my liking!

HOLA448
HOLA449
"they figure it's the only time you'll get a chance to punch a copper and get away with it, so they get in first".

what an immature bunch of wallies on both sides then, rugby is a game played by gentlemen - usually

- as for bad apples in uniform, name one profession where there arent any, even some priests get up to all sorts, just because someone puts that uniform on it doesnt change their nature if they slipped past the recruitment weed out and in a minority of cases it attracts people who are less entitled to have the word police on their clothes than graham norton would be to qualify as a cage fighting semi-finalist

HOLA4410
Umm. You sound like you've "been about a bit". If so you should have figured out by now the police are just another gang of thugs with their own agenda. Best kept away from if at all possible.

I asked someone once why he joined up. He said : "I like fighting. If you join the police you can do it, get paid for it, not get locked up for it, and always be on the winning side".

Now this is a good post, says it all in a few lines!

HOLA4411
what an immature bunch of wallies on both sides then, rugby is a game played by gentlemen - usually

- as for bad apples in uniform, name one profession where there arent any, even some priests get up to all sorts, just because someone puts that uniform on it doesnt change their nature if they slipped past the recruitment weed out and in a minority of cases it attracts people who are less entitled to have the word police on their clothes than graham norton would be to qualify as a cage fighting semi-finalist

A miss quote, "A gentleman's game played by hooligans or hooligans playing a gentleman's game", as to you comment on us being immature, 'they started it'!

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

A mate of mine calls them Badge-*****ers. As soon as they get a whiff of authority they think they can gob off to anyone, especially when hiding behind the badge.

I think the OP's example was a fairly mild case of a much wider problem, especially amongst the Met.

Kettling anyone?

HOLA4413
Well what is it then?

"up for scrutiny" you said, well that's not personal abuse in my book anyway. It's a thin white line, is this worth pursuing?

HOLA4414

How strange.

I saw everything. Scarecrow rowing with plod outside Victoria station. Scarecrow left and then they started tazering a 10" turd in a doorway and were heard shouting.

"Take that you little Brown *******"

It was awful :(

HOLA4415
Guest skullingtonjoe
A mate of mine calls them Badge-*****ers. As soon as they get a whiff of authority they think they can gob off to anyone, especially when hiding behind the badge.

I think the OP's example was a fairly mild case of a much wider problem, especially amongst the Met.

Kettling anyone?

I prefer keddling (with chairs!) :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
A miss quote, "A gentleman's game played by hooligans or hooligans playing a gentleman's game", as to you comment on us being immature, 'they started it'!

your deliberate misquote of "Football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians and rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen" noted, but seriously i think its a load of immaturity to behave like that, bloody testosterone, we're all at its mercy, i nearly thumped my neighbour this afternoon so i'm no better and thankfully i remembered to grow up and our dispute ended with a handshake and jokes but if i'd lost it as i nearly did i'd have been reminded that i do not need to say anything but it may harm my defence if i do not mention when questioned something which i later rely on in court and anything i do say may be given in evidence, do i understand, which i do as i am the chief constable.

(that was a joke about being the c.c., your worships)

HOLA4417

Kettling anyone?

The Yanks are a typical example of badge Wan...., it does not matter what uniform, what badge, my God they just shout at you from the start. God forbid they carry a gun, or even worse a stun gun which they use for simple control and obedience now. I go in to St Thomas a few times a year and the main land once a year or so, they really have an attitude. I know that the immigration officers have put off a lot of Brits who own holiday homes in Florida, they just won't put up with the abuse! In all fairness it has improved over the last year, but only because they were told to from up high.

I can't but help feel the Yanks do themselves any favors in the soldier department either. Now they really do abuse people. That's a different story though.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
your deliberate misquote of "Football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians and rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen" noted, but seriously i think its a load of immaturity to behave like that, bloody testosterone, we're all at its mercy, i nearly thumped my neighbour this afternoon so i'm no better and thankfully i remembered to grow up and our dispute ended with a handshake and jokes but if i'd lost it as i nearly did i'd have been reminded that i do not need to say anything but it may harm my defence if i do not mention when questioned something which i later rely on in court and anything i do say may be given in evidence, do i understand, which i do as i am the chief constable.

I didn't deliberately misquote, it's a genuine quote well known in rugby circles anyway!

HOLA4420

I may as well ask you, what's you view on stun guns? Am I right in thinking the met don't have them? I live abroad now so don't know as much current affairs as I would like.

HOLA4421
I may as well ask you, what's you view on stun guns? Am I right in thinking the met don't have them? I live abroad now so don't know as much current affairs as I would like.

the met do have them, but only a tiny minority of officers, my view is the police serve the public, i'm against kettling, i'm against the bad apples with tasers but better they have a taser than a firearm although one would hope the taser carrying bods are the more mature and higher trained lot, lets hope so anyway

HOLA4422
the met do have them, but only a tiny minority of officers, my view is the police serve the public, i'm against kettling, i'm against the bad apples with tasers but better they have a taser than a firearm although one would hope the taser carrying bods are the more mature and higher trained lot, lets hope so anyway

What is kettling?

HOLA4423
What is kettling?

I thinks its where they contain a group of prtestors (for example) and dont let them move. It stops the crowd dispersing and causing trouble, but really annoys everyone as its false imprisonment, so can end in trouble anyway. Kettling may be used in other ways, but I have heard it used in this context a few times.

HOLA4424
I thinks its where they contain a group of prtestors (for example) and dont let them move. It stops the crowd dispersing and causing trouble, but really annoys everyone as its false imprisonment, so can end in trouble anyway. Kettling may be used in other ways, but I have heard it used in this context a few times.

I am much the wiser now, so what happens when you need to use the bathroom? Or am I being naive? I take it it's a nickable offense if you try to go home then?

HOLA4425

i would have thought if you have innocent bystanders then kettling (preventing people from leaving a police-surrounded public area) is probably legally unsound unless they can demonstrate it was for the bystanders' own good. we need to get back to having a police service serving the public, not stifling lawful protest. last monday's panorama examined this very issue

Archived