House Price Crash Forum

Swine Flu Preparation/prevention

MOP

HOLA441
I've been regularly taking a cod liver oil capsule every night for my joints now that the hill walking season has started. I was wondering whether I should continue or not, especially after reading a previous article (posted by MOP I think) about ACE inhibition.

What just one?? You should read Perricone weight loss diet where he claims that aging and a lot of diseases are caused by inflamation. In some examples he tells people to take 3 x 1000mg omega 3 capsules 3 times a day. But more usually just one with each meal.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
We should have better health care than Argentina. In theory.

Health care is designed for normal situations, a flu pandemic will quickly overwhelm it except for a very few. Argentina is short of the very best ventilators which are required for Swine flu, but I doubt the UK has many more - a few hundred will be of little use if there is tens of thousands of severe cases.

So treatment will be largely down to Tamiflu and a eventual vaccine. One thing is that anti-biotics are easily available in countries like Argentina whereas in the UK that would require a doctors visit which won't be possible.

The other point is that the six year old girl and GP died yesterday within hours, before anything could be done. Maybe Tamiflu could have helped, but I'm not so sure.

HOLA443
I had a quick look on google, typing argentina in to google news. First page of hits all football. When I refined the search to argentina flu I started to get something.

An article on bbc news from the 10th of July claims 65 dead. Another says 43 dead on 1st of July. Argentina's population is in excess of 40 million.

These numbers dont seem that bad and certaintly not "very hard". Do you have any further info?

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/search/label/Swine%20FLu

HOLA444
The other point is that the six year old girl and GP died yesterday within hours, before anything could be done. Maybe Tamiflu could have helped, but I'm not so sure.

yep, and I read that she was misdiagnosed by her GP as having tonsilitis. Maybe she didn't have any other symptoms other than a sore throat. Although you'd have thought the GP would look at her tonsils - a simple sore throat does not enlarge the tonsils. Perhaps the swine flu does as the immune system is reacting?

A day later she's dead.

This swine flu is like playing russian roulette with a gun that has 10,000 rounds and one live bullet. There are those who think that we here are blowing it all out of proportion but give them such a gun and ask them to pull the trigger and I bet they wouldn't.

HOLA445
I've been regularly taking a cod liver oil capsule every night for my joints now that the hill walking season has started. I was wondering whether I should continue or not, especially after reading a previous article (posted by MOP I think) about ACE inhibition.

I wouldn't advise anyone on what they should or shouldn't take. Over the years, from following H5N1 since it's early days, I have read many articles and opinions on foods and supplements for preventing the cytokine storm. I have come across all of the remedies previously posted but nothing definitive has come from it just confusion on my part. So I take what I find to be effective for me personally when I get flu type illnesses. Other than that I eat a diet that is appropriate and hopefully preventative for age related diseases as I approach the third age. Which reminds me to have a curry tonight to help ward off alzheimers :P

HOLA446
yep, and I read that she was misdiagnosed by her GP as having tonsilitis. Maybe she didn't have any other symptoms other than a sore throat. Although you'd have thought the GP would look at her tonsils - a simple sore throat does not enlarge the tonsils. Perhaps the swine flu does as the immune system is reacting?

A day later she's dead.

This swine flu is like playing russian roulette with a gun that has 10,000 rounds and one live bullet. There are those who think that we here are blowing it all out of proportion but give them such a gun and ask them to pull the trigger and I bet they wouldn't.

I'm at day 5 of an ILI (influenza like illness). I guess I'll never know if it is swine flu or not but we do have it circulating in the area where I live. A good friend of my sons was lab confirmed three weeks ago and other friends have since gone down with a virus so it is possible.

My symptoms started with feeling very tired followed the next morning by a sore throat that felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my throat, aching in the arms and legs and a temperature. I wasn't bed bound but was going back to bed for an hour or two after being up for an hour. That lasted for two days. A few sneezes but no cold so far and feeling almost normal today though I do have a bit of soreness in my chest. Had it not been a weekend with a locum on duty I would have phoned my GP.

My son was feeling unnaturally tired last night and this morning so he might be going down with it too. That gives me a bit of anxiety because until a few years ago flu type viruses would always mean a call to the doctors so he could be nebulised and on too many occassions a stay in hospital. I don't think it would come to that but if he get's the sore throat I'll be phoning the doc's pronto.

HOLA447

A day later she's dead.

Nobody gets the choice. It is not you firing the gun. It is nature. If it wants you it will get you.

Quite a lot of hypochondraics on this thread I think !!

I have known of FAR FAR too many fit young healthy people to have collapsed and died all of a sudden. No point worrying about it. Keep yourself fit and healthy, eat good and exercise.

Anything else, IMO, is pointless and a waste of time.

HOLA448

Well I have woken up today with a bit of a sore throat, runny nose and a high cough, vomited and feeling a bit sweaty but not fevered. I am also feeling a bit short of breath when I cough but high up in my chest.

Friend at work the same.

Kids sniffing and bit of sore throat.

Will try to keep this going as if (although unlikely) it is swine flu it may be of interest. On the other hand could be man flu and that really scares me! :lol:

HOLA449
I don't know if it's been touched upon in this thread but I was just reading that the swine flu is hitting Argentina, where it's winter, very hard. The death rate there is 1 in 37 of people who contract the disease. Is this an indicator of what it will be like here when the winter comes?

Do you have a source for that 1 in 37 claim?

Two weeks ago the official mortality rate in Argentina was 0.01638%

That is quite a difference...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Should we prepare individually for this possibility?

Post ideas here.

Good hygiene, and wash hands thoroughly before any meal (and avoid putting your hands in your mouth - biting fingernails, etc). Plus lots of foods rich in vitamin C, which is essential for an effective immune system.

I think it's important to be individually vigilant towards swine flu, as the authorities, in my view, haven't been particularly successful in containing the virus.

There is a secondary school near me with at least two children off with suspected swine flu. Considering most schools finish for Summer this week, the common-sense approach would have been to close the school until September. But, no: the local authority has kept the school open until the end of today, with many parents worried sick and having kept their kids at home for the last view days. What a farce.

HOLA4412
Well I have woken up today with a bit of a sore throat, runny nose and a high cough, vomited and feeling a bit sweaty but not fevered. I am also feeling a bit short of breath when I cough but high up in my chest.

Friend at work the same.

Kids sniffing and bit of sore throat.

Will try to keep this going as if (although unlikely) it is swine flu it may be of interest. On the other hand could be man flu and that really scares me! :lol:

I've been up all night with a high temp, cough and a very sore chest. I had the sore throat and runny nose on wednesday. I think man flu might have mutated and is now infecting ladies.

HOLA4413

I personally think the washing hands thing is really directed to those who have it. You can keep as clean as you want but wee viruses can live all over the place, in all types of places. Trying to avoid contact with them is like trying to avoid contact with oxygen. Maybe.

HOLA4414
I personally think the washing hands thing is really directed to those who have it. You can keep as clean as you want but wee viruses can live all over the place, in all types of places. Trying to avoid contact with them is like trying to avoid contact with oxygen. Maybe.

No its not. Germs can enter our bodies through getting on our hands and then rubbing our eyes. Think about doctors who wash their hands after they examine you.

HOLA4415
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4416

taking vitamin d is a well documented preventative measure for protecting against influenza viruses. I get natural versions as there is a lot of synthetic vitamin tablets out there that dont deliver the nutrients efficiently, and some actually contain mercury!! I protect myself with covalent silver hydrosols, like bionaid, you can get it in the uk here www.bionaid.eu. Its the most advanced silver hydrosol and works on all infections. I drink a teaspoon ful in the morning and one at night, and use it as an antiseptic on wounds, in a nasal spray for sinus infections

HOLA4417

I would take the following supplements as a prophylactic:

10,000 iu of vitamin D

1000 iu of vitamin e

5-10 grams of vitamin C

Multivitamin with at least 100 mg of B vitamins (solgar VM2000)

Multivitamin with amino acid chelated minerals

Zinc as monomehtionine aspartate amino acid chelate (25 mg)

Whey protein supplements to add 50-70 grams of protein a day to diet

Flax oil (5 grams) or fish oil supplements (1000mg EPA DHA) to provide omega 3 fatty acids

Goldenseal herb (standardised for berberine)

I would do the following in my diet:

Avoid all sugar as it suppresses the immune

1 gram of protein per lbs lean body mass exluding whey protein)

Optimise my diet to remove all processed food especially those containing hydrogenated and trans fatty acids

I would take the following if i felt any cold / flu symptom

Ecinacea her (standardised for echinacosides, cichoric or caftaric)

I would make the following lifestyle changes:

Avoid all stressful situations

Exercise but not intensely and avoid overtraining at all costs

Get a regular massage

Avoid alcohol to excess

Wash my hands frequently and carry 70% alcohol wipes to wipe hands after touching communial objects such as door handles

The main thing that will stop you getting a cold / flu is vitamin D. It is a great immune system modulator and the germans have done extensive research to show its effectiveness in not only boosting immune system function, but also to modulate cytokine storm. They have looked at vitamin D as a possible treatment for Avian Flu. We dont get ill in the winter IMO because we all have high levels of vitamin D (about 10,000 iu in 15 min of skin exposure to UV light). The amount in the diet (unless you supplement) in minimal (100's of iu at most). It's a hormone NOT a vitamin and as such regulates cell behaviour.

There are many many other supplements that will help boost the immune system in a myriad of ways. Elderberry (sambucol) for example stops the viral pathogens being able to get into host cells during attachment.

HOLA4418

So you wouldn’t recommend someone eat a 500g tube of hagen daz in one sitting? :ph34r:

Always used to surprise my roommate doing medicine while we were at university. Used to say he couldn’t understand why I wasn’t blind after consuming 500g of sugar in 30 minutes.

Although admittedly I would shake a little for an hour after :lol:

The main thing that will stop you getting a cold / flu is vitamin D.

Simplest advice is to stay away from people who are sick.

Do you recommend any particular multivitamin brand?

HOLA4419

[

I am sure you are right KS, but I eat tons and tons of sugar. I have had flu 3 times, '76, '81, and '07. I NEVER get a cold or a cough, stomach bugs or anything like that, and I'm 50 !

HOLA4420

Do you recommend any particular multivitamin brand?

Not really. I have no vested interest in selling vitamins, the following are good brands, but not the only ones:

Solgar

Lamberts

Quest

The main thing with vitamins is to make sure the doses are high enough. The main thing with minerals is to make sure the dose is right, and to make sure its an absorbable form. Some forms are just so poorly absorbed that they are effectivly useless. Amino acid chelated minerals imrpoves absorption to about 40 % for some minerals. This technology has come from the agriculture industry. The oxides and sulfate forms of minerals (and other non-organic metal forms) are cheap which is why they are used, but the absorption is poor. This isnt always true as magnesium seems to be well absorbed as oxide.

Mineral absorption is further confounded by the fact that some minerals will compete for absorption so must really be taken in isolation from other if you want to maximise the aborption for a specific reason. High levels of copper for example can prevent the adequate absorption and utilisation of zinc.

Obviously getting blood levels checked in cojunction with a professional who could offer this service is the best solution.

HOLA4421

I am sure you are right KS, but I eat tons and tons of sugar. I have had flu 3 times, '76, '81, and '07. I NEVER get a cold or a cough, stomach bugs or anything like that, and I'm 50 !

Well maybe your immune system would be even better if you cut out the sugar? We will never know. However, we do know that high levels of sugar in the diet can suppress the immune systems of many types of animals including humans.

HOLA4422

Not really. I have no vested interest in selling vitamins, the following are good brands, but not the only ones:

Solgar

Lamberts

Quest

The main thing with vitamins is to make sure the doses are high enough. The main thing with minerals is to make sure the dose is right, and to make sure its an absorbable form. Some forms are just so poorly absorbed that they are effectivly useless. Amino acid chelated minerals imrpoves absorption to about 40 % for some minerals. This technology has come from the agriculture industry. The oxides and sulfate forms of minerals (and other non-organic metal forms) are cheap which is why they are used, but the absorption is poor. This isnt always true as magnesium seems to be well absorbed as oxide.

Mineral absorption is further confounded by the fact that some minerals will compete for absorption so must really be taken in isolation from other if you want to maximise the aborption for a specific reason. High levels of copper for example can prevent the adequate absorption and utilisation of zinc.

Obviously getting blood levels checked in cojunction with a professional who could offer this service is the best solution.

Yep I had a feeling you needed certain things for others to be absorbed and that was really my question rather than what brand is best.

ie is there are particular tablet made by a particular company that has all of them in the right concentrations etc that you would recommend.

Generally speaking I am a very healthy person (resting heart rate below 60 and I almost never get ill or heave headaches etc) but I can go long periods where I get lazy and my diet during them times can consists of takeaways, pizzas, chocolates, crisps, alcohol and more pizzas. so I was thinking I should get vitamins even if it is to take once a week rather than daily but haven’t got around to researching for a good one.

HOLA4423

Yep I had a feeling you needed certain things for others to be absorbed and that was really my question rather than what brand is best.

ie is there are particular tablet made by a particular company that has all of them in the right concentrations etc that you would recommend.

Generally speaking I am a very healthy person (resting heart rate below 60 and I almost never get ill or heave headaches etc) but I can go long periods where I get lazy and my diet during them times can consists of takeaways, pizzas, chocolates, crisps, alcohol and more pizzas. so I was thinking I should get vitamins even if it is to take once a week rather than daily but haven’t got around to researching for a good one.

The best multi vit / min is Solgar VM2000 in my opinion. It has been for a number of years. I did look into formulating a multi that avoided or minimised mineral antagonism but in the end it became too expensive and was no different to taking three or four separate tablets.

The mineral to avoid if you are a meat eating man is probably iron. We get loads in our diet from meat and its very antagonistic to many other minerals.

HOLA4424

It's flu! take it easy for a fortnight and you get better!

Can anyone tell me why this "swine flu" is any better/worse than flu without a particular name? :huh:

HOLA4425
Guest apocalypto

It's flu! take it easy for a fortnight and you get better!

Can anyone tell me why this "swine flu" is any better/worse than flu without a particular name? :huh:

It's no worse than regular flu and even if it mutates to something much worse (which is unlikely apparently) the vaccines will be useless anyway.

Archived