House Price Crash Forum
ScaredEitherWay

There But For The Grace Of God

An intelligent, educated, hard-working man negotiates unemployment

Interesting new blog published. Newly unemployed, this is an exploration of living alone and signing on ... just when you'd got the mortgage paid off.

http://charliecroker.wordpress.com/

All the fun you can have ... on £64 JSA/week.

Good man - no mocking! It could be you next week.

If I had a paid off house and the p1ssing govt wouldnt chase me for council tax it might be quite jolly (if a little bit rice and bean based)

An intelligent, educated, hard-working man negotiates unemployment

Interesting new blog published. Newly unemployed, this is an exploration of living alone and signing on ... just when you'd got the mortgage paid off.

http://charliecroker.wordpress.com/

All the fun you can have ... on £64 JSA/week.

Good man - no mocking! It could be you next week.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. I like that mans writing style.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. I like that mans writing style.

Me too.

I particularly liked this part......

"In 2008 something rather interesting and completely unforeseen happened. Years of credit fuelled excess, insane property price increase, dodgy mortgages and finance funded business finally imploded. The giant ponzi scheme upon which our countries economy had been built (the premise seemingly that provided we all kept selling houses back and forth to each other for ever more ludicrous amounts, or cashing in the increased equity in our own homes in the form of bigger and bigger mortgages we’d all get richer and richer) ran into the buffers. The credit had run out, the party was over.

Who could possibly have imagined that years of building a burgeoning economy on the quicksand of ever increasing debt could have lead to disaster? Not the government it seems who had fanned the flames of excess and basked in its flickering glow. Nor the bankers who kept those flames climbing ever higher on a rich fuel of finance desperately piled on thicker and thicker in the race for more market share and bigger bonuses. So what if the money doesn’t come back, they’d found a way to sell the debt on as soon as it was created, someone else’s problem."

Perfect summary !

hope he manages ok.it's a bit of a shock if you've never been on the dole before.

:lol:

Tell that to the ***** who think I'm stealing their taxes :rolleyes: they would soon want their income back, regardless of the 40% tax rate.

Just seen this, it is indeed brilliant! Today's post made me chuckle, sounds like me! :lol:

This is the sort of thing that ought to be serialised in The Telegraph or something.

Thanks for posting SEW, just added it to my favourites for a daily read. :)

This is the sort of thing that ought to be serialised in The Telegraph or something.

Thanks for posting SEW, just added it to my favourites for a daily read. :)

He's obviously a writer, so that could happen!

Then it’s personal financial details, do I own or rent? Mortgage? How much money have I in savings? Any other income? Any other property? Any shares? Any signs at all that that they can weasel out of paying me?

Do they routinely ask this information up front, even for someone claiming contribution based JSA? I thought none of that had any effect on the claim...

Perhaps I'll suggest he send them a link.

Maybe somebody here has an inside contact ... or somebody in their office will spot it and realise they've found "the next big thing"

:)

Then it’s personal financial details, do I own or rent? Mortgage? How much money have I in savings? Any other income? Any other property? Any shares? Any signs at all that that they can weasel out of paying me?

Do they routinely ask this information up front, even for someone claiming contribution based JSA? I thought none of that had any effect on the claim...

It is probably part of the Housing Benefit/Council Tax forms. JSA can be contributions-based, but HB/CT is means tested.

Latest episode - he has bought himself a new car.

Hardly typical of the average signer at the local Jobcentre.

I can't imagine why he would want to do such thing in the circumstances.

I hope he dosen't think that if he reduces his capital by spending out on car's etc he is going to qualify for income based JSA or IS.

Hmm, yes, he's just bought a car. It's hardly 'Down and Out in Paris and London' is it. <_<

There was a quite good blog recently that's stopped now, about a man who lived in a tent all last winter to save money. Now that WAS impressive!

I hope he dosen't think that if he reduces his capital by spending out on car's etc he is going to qualify for income based JSA or IS.

Where does it say he's bought a new car? I can't see that bit. :huh:

And surely the point of the blog is that he isn't "an average signer at the local jobcentre", it's the experience of a (presumably) long serving professional who's found himself out of work for the first time in his life.

Edited by Willit

Actually, that's exactly what he can do, and legitimately so. And, IMHO, morally so too. You can even use your savings for a holiday without falling into the category of reducing your capital for JSA, IS etc.

I've got the link to the DWP somewhere.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staf....shtml#b_w1180a

Disregarded Capital

6.any personal possession, such as a car or caravan, unless* it has been acquired for the purpose of obtaining entitlement to, or increasing the amount of HB or CTB. In that event, take into account the market value less 10 per cent if there would be expenses of sale, see Deprivation of capital later in this chapter

*DWP bolding, not mine

Edited by bomberbrown

Regarding the holiday bit of my previous post.

Identifying deprivation of Capital

P1.702 You will most likely identify potential deprivation of capital when examining a change of circumstances or a repeat claim. For example, when entitlement has been refused because the claimant’s capital exceeded £16,000 and a repeat claim is made soon afterwards when capital of less than £16,000 is declared.

P1.703 A claimant should still be regarded as having deprived themself of a capital resource if they have disposed themself of it by way of a gift to a third party. However, they should not be regarded as depriving themself of it if they did it to

HB(SPC) Reg 47; CTB(SPC) Reg 37

reduce or pay off a debt they owe

purchase goods or services the Decision Maker considers reasonable, given their circumstances, eg

payments to reduce/pay off a debt, eg paying a credit card account or mortgage early

for day to day expenses

to improve their quality of life, eg buying a new kitchen or car

for medical treatment

for home repairs

for a holiday

P1.704-P1.709

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staf...c.shtml#bp_1680

Hmm, yes, he's just bought a car. It's hardly 'Down and Out in Paris and London' is it. <_<

This guy's a dreamer, still in the honeymoon stage of redundancy, and imagining himself telling witty tales of his short 'jobless' period, at a dinner party in Islington around Xmastime.

At the minute he's playing at it. And wasting resources he'll need.

New car??

Buy a bike, friend. Get real.

The penny will drop around the time of his two hundredth job application. One interview - he won't get it. 95% of employers didn't reply.

He needs to learn 100 ways to cook pasta; where the Kwik Save 'reduced' shelves are, and how to sole and heel his own shoes.

What's coming his way is something he's not old enough to have seen before, nor have his mates in their 'snazzy' two-seaters.

For him, the company car, credit card and cappuchino years are over.

time_mag_depression.JPG

post-12677-1247586388_thumb.jpg

Edited by juvenal

This guy's a dreamer, still in the honeymoon stage of redundancy, and imagining himself telling witty tales of his short 'jobless' period, at a dinner party in Islington around Xmastime.

At the minute he's playing at it. And wasting resources he'll need.

New car??

Buy a bike, friend. Get real.

The penny will drop around the time of his two hundredth job application. One interview - he won't get it. 95% of employers didn't reply.

He needs to learn 100 ways to serve pasta; where the Kwik Save reduced shelves are, and how to sole and heel his own shoes.

What's coming his way is something he's not old enough to have seen before, nor have his mates in their 'snazzy' two-seaters.

The company car and cappuchino years are over.

time_mag_depression.JPG

I've read it again and I still can't see where it says he's bought a new car. :huh:

Could someone cut and paste or something, I must be blind.

Here you go, Willit:

July 14th entry:

The other good news is that despite a slightly indulgent car purchase (it was an offer, and a car, I just couldn’t refuse), the war chest is bearing up as well as can be expected. The slow drip from the DHSS might be derisory, but it’s at least partly slowing the outbound flow of cash from my savings. The tide of expense over income might be rising, but I was still comfortably on dry land, for the moment at least.

And the car, frankly, is brilliant! By necessity it’s far less flash and much more sensible than the diet of snazzy company cars I used to race about in, this one is a practical anonymous honest to goodness diesel hatchback (with a few nice toys on it). Cheap to run, cheap to insure, quiet, comfortable and surprisingly pleasant to trundle about in, and it’s the first car I’ve had with rear doors for as long as I can remember after a decade or two of company funded coupes, convertibles and hot hatches. Polite, I decide, is the word. It’s a Polite Hatchback and I like it very much.

This guy has yet to understand that 'slightly indulgent' purchases of a Cadbury's Flake, let alone a car, are now not for him.

Edited by juvenal