House Price Crash Forum
Badger

End Of Retirement Age Signalled

too incontinent??

The UK is fast becoming a country you don't want to get old in.

It's been said before but getting old isn't what people want to do - it's just better than the alternative.

p-o-p

I assume it'll also be illegal to tell people they're too incompetant to do their job properly.

We have someone at work that must be 140 years old…

Well he is probably 75 in reality but has aged very very poorly.

Can just about walk unaided, and I mean just, at a snails pace.

His brain isn’t quite goo but he is on the way.

I have no idea what work it is he does but I cant imagine it is a lot.

I just think no one has the heart to fire him especially as he has no direct family, ie was never married or had kids so perhaps work is all he has.

Either way, I think you should be permitted to work to 70 so long as you can pass a reasonable test if your employers wants.

And we all know the state retirement age is going up, and will likely be 75-80 in 20 years time.

Just buy a couple of BTL properties on repayment mortgages and enjoy a steady income in your early retirement whilst the mugs who missed out are shuffling off to work on their mobility scooters. :)

Either way, I think you should be permitted to work to 70 so long as you can pass a reasonable test if your employers wants.

And we all know the state retirement age is going up, and will likely be 75-80 in 20 years time.

I think before the next government is done you will be REQUIRED to work to 70 to get your pension :(

If they moved the state pension to 80 a big chunk of the budget defecit would disappear ;)

Then move public sector employees onto DC schemes and away you go <_<

Originally the pension age was set about 5-10 years ABOVE average life expectancy ;)

I assume it'll also be illegal to tell people they're too incompetent to do their job properly.

And what's with all this discrimination against stupid people. They're not getting into university and are forced into low paid work. STOP THIS NOW!

I always come back to one question. If you were a Managing Director and you had a vacant post available, would you hire the 60+ year old dragon or a 18 year blonde whos eager ?

Exactly !

I always come back to one question. If you were a Managing Director and you had a vacant post available, would you hire the 60+ year old dragon or a 18 year blonde whos eager ?

Exactly !

Somewhat loaded question methinks.

What if the 60+ year old is the more eager candidate? (Plus she won't be asking for maternity leave)

Somewhat loaded question methinks.

What if the 60+ year old is the more eager candidate? (Plus she won't be asking for maternity leave)

The Blonde would need maternity leave by the time I had finished with her. :lol::lol::lol:

This problem can be solved by tackling the other end of the labour market, with no minimum age of employment. Small children sent down the mines wont live past 30, and just think of all the extra coal those little hands could harvest.

If life is going to be about working until you die you might as well get it over quick.

Exactly !

Ageism and sexism all in one go, god there are some morons on this site.

WHAT, ARE WE ON TO RAPE NOW? OR ARE YOU JUST SO CHARMING NO WOMAN COULD RESIST-twit

Didn't you know - all the men who post on here are irresistable to the opposite sex.

2 thoughts on this - first, any change in the retirement age would need a change in primary legislation, which means that it is unlikely to happen before the next election - we are now at the stage where a doomed government can announce whtever they like, knowing that they won't be around to be expected to make it work, and secondly, when we are back to 3.2M unemployed being at the top of the political agenda and on every newspaper headline, "they" will want to massage the figures like they always do, by counting over 55's as retired, not unemployed, as thay did in the 1980's and 1990's recessions - as unemployment becomes more of an issue, raising the retirement age will be dropped.

More people working past 65 means a considerable number will defer their State Pension, while they are still being paid a salary.

This can only help a bankrupt Treasury.

Guest anorthosite
We have someone at work that must be 140 years old…

Well he is probably 75 in reality but has aged very very poorly.

Can just about walk unaided, and I mean just, at a snails pace.

His brain isn’t quite goo but he is on the way.

Do you work in law? Is he a judge?

I think someone should have to work until a majority of their colleagues agree that they stink of piss.

I'll get me coat then. :blink:

The working pensioners will have to support the young who can't find work, because the pensioners have all the jobs.

Great idea.

Actually, the young will probably just leave to places like Australia and Canada where they have a chance of a decent life. This country will just stink of piss, like one big care home of people living in houses that they won't sell for less than they are "worth".

I can remember watching Tomorrows World in the 1970's when this new fangled microcircuit thingy would herald in a new age of automation and leisure.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

I can remember watching Tomorrows World in the 1970's when this new fangled microcircuit thingy would herald in a new age of automation and leisure.

And if you wanted to maintain a 70's standard of living, l think you could do so and still have a substantial amount of leisure time.