House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Food Which Is Better Than Free

Bought a half price Discovery Fajita kit thingy last night at the COOP. Price paid was £1.54. Inside was a coupon to get £2 of a mulitipack of Sol. Effectively then, I'm being paid 46p by the makers to fill my face.

I like it when fresh produce (bread rolls for example) are reduced down to 10p/pack, but are on special offer of buy 2, save £1, so they bill me 20p for the 2 packs, but then refund me £1 for taking them off their hands. I've never been brave enough to just take the reduced stuff to the till and have the money put onto my card, I always make sure I buy a few other bits to cover the profit. The check out staff either don't notice, or sit there thinking it's a cheap bill for the stuff I've bought... :D

I like it when fresh produce (bread rolls for example) are reduced down to 10p/pack, but are on special offer of buy 2, save £1, so they bill me 20p for the 2 packs, but then refund me £1 for taking them off their hands.

Tried this in Sainsburys a couple of days ago, no joy, just charged the reduced price. Pretty sure Tescos figured it out a few years ago too. I think this particular gravy train is over unless you know different?

Tescos Double The Difference is still occasionally good for a sting, a few months ago I got four free bottles of wine out of it, though only because my wife spotted that they'd charged us double for the one she'd picked up. Of course I went back and bought three more before I went to customer services :). Even that's not like the glory days when they refunded you in full and you kept the item for even minor pricing errors, I practically filled my freezer with free meat :).