House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

French Workers Threaten To Blow Up New Fabris Car Parts Factory

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/1...ers-car-factory

First there was boss-napping, now angry workers at a factory in France have come up with a new tactic in their battle against mass redundancy.

Staff at bankrupt car parts maker New Fabris are threatening to blow up the plant if they do not receive compensation from the companies that provided most of the firm's business.

The 336 workers at the factory at Châtellerault, near Poitiers in central France, want Renault SA and PSA Peugeot Citroen to pay €30,000 (£25,850) to each of them, or some €10m in total, in return for the company's remaining stocks of equipment and machinery. The workers, who are currently occupying the factory, have given Renault and Peugeot Citroen until 31 July to come up with the money.

Guy Eyermann, a CGT trades union official, told France Info radio: "The bottles of gas have already been placed at various parts of the factory and are connected with each other. If Renault and PSA refuse to give us that money it could blow up before the end of the month."

A delegation of workers will meet officials from Renault on Thursday. Both Renault and the police declined to comment.

New Fabris went into liquidation in April, which means the workers are unlikely to get any redundancy money.

The industrial unrest is the latest in a series of radical responses to the financial crisis. Earlier this year, staff from at least eight companies took their managers hostage in return for demands such as proper jobs, better pay and fewer redundancies.

France has a history of boss-nappings dating back to May 1968 and the 1970s, when executives were held hostage in the struggle for rights.

The French certainly don't mess about, although if anyone tried it here you'd immediately be labelled a Al-Qaeda terrorist and the SAS would storm in and kill everyone.

I can see how the liquidator of that company would be upset, but surely Peugeot and Renault couldn't car less (!) ? A supplier of parts has gone bust - they'll now get the parts elsewhere. The old plant and machinery of a defunct supplier has no value to them surely?

I can see how the liquidator of that company would be upset, but surely Peugeot and Renault couldn't car less (!) ? A supplier of parts has gone bust - they'll now get the parts elsewhere. The old plant and machinery of a defunct supplier has no value to them surely?

It's not an old plant. I saw a news report of France2 this morning. There are some state of the art robots on the production line. Some costing in excess of 2M€ each. The worker's main gripe is that the French govt gave billions of loans to save the French car makers and their suppliers last year. The money has clearly not been used to save French suppliers but to move even more production to Romania and the Far east. The workers accept this, but are looking for their share of the spoils before being put out to grass.....

Seems fair to me and millions of other French, hence the large amount of public support for these workers.

Edited by Agentimmo

Ill fart, and set fire to eet in an exploseev fashion, in your jeneral directsion, you capeetaleest peeg.

It's not an old plant. I saw a news report of France2 this morning. There are some state of the art robots on the production line. Some costing in excess of 2M€ each. The worker's main gripe is that the French govt gave billions of loans to save the French car makers and their suppliers last year. The money has clearly not been used to save French suppliers but to move even more production to Romania and the Far east. The workers accept this, but are looking for their share of the spoils before being put out to grass.....

Seems fair to me and millions of other French, hence the large amount of public support for these workers.

The workers may well have a "good case" but I still don't see how Renault and Peugeot will give a monkey's about the threat to blow up the factory. If I'm reading the story correctly, they no longer buy parts from that factory - they presumably get the parts elsewhere, more cheaply. It really doesn't matter to them how modern or space age the machines are in that place. They get the parts from another (cheaper) factory.

Ill fart, and set fire to eet in an exploseev fashion, in your jeneral directsion, you capeetaleest peeg.

:lol:

Why are you suddenly speaking with a Welsh accent?

Edited by Minos

Why are you suddenly speaking with a Welsh accent?

damn, its actually my written expression of speaking in tongues......in cheek.

damn, its actually my written expression of speaking in tongues......in cheek.

While I don't condone this suggested behaviour, you do have to admire the French.

The workers may well have a "good case" but I still don't see how Renault and Peugeot will give a monkey's about the threat to blow up the factory. If I'm reading the story correctly, they no longer buy parts from that factory - they presumably get the parts elsewhere, more cheaply. It really doesn't matter to them how modern or space age the machines are in that place. They get the parts from another (cheaper) factory.

It's all about image and PR. The French don't like to see their own people being messed about by their home grown companies. And the amount of Govt loans given to the big 3 car makers was supposed to save French suppliers. At least that was the PR spin at the time. If Renault et al are seen to be stiffing their local suppliers, the govt will have a more difficult time at the polls. Asking everyone to tighten their belts, whilst doling out billions to companies to fire French workers is a bitter pill to swallow for Monsieur Dupont.

While I don't condone this suggested behaviour, you do have to admire the French.

And it also saves the taxpayers a hell of a lot. No need to pussyfoot for months with the courts and ACAS and other govt agencies. Cuts out the middle-men. "Just give each lowly worker the same redundancy package as senior managers and we'll go quietly". What's not to like ? :lol:

they need the money...food in france is Tres expensive....as i found out whilst holidaying there earlier this month.

Your spelling's a lot better than some of the people I see on HPC.

I still don't see what they will gain by setting fire to their closed-down factory. Their employer went bust, their customers have gone elsewhere. Tough s**t.

Blowing the place up will just finally ensure that there is no possibility of it re-opening.

Fail!

Renault and Peugeot probably need to retrieve the tooling and machinery from the factory to switch it to another sub contractor.

I still don't see what they will gain by setting fire to their closed-down factory. Their employer went bust, their customers have gone elsewhere. Tough s**t.

Blowing the place up will just finally ensure that there is no possibility of it re-opening.

Fail!

the creditors have millions of euros of assets inside the factory. burn it and its lost.

I know what you mean, I used to be the typical stereotype and dislike the frogs, but I have changed, I really do admire them. They look after No 1 jealously guard their culture and we can lean a lot from them! They probably look at us and think no way are we going in that direction.

Guest X-QUORK

It could never happen in the UK, any worker militancy was successfully killed by Thatcher in the 80s. British workers are too used to be shafted these days, no fight left in them.

Who wants to have a secret service file or prison sentence? That's what you'd get for your troubles in Angleterre.

So if a group of people occupy a building with bombs and threaten to blow it up unless they are given a ransom, that's OK?

It seems to me this is what criminals have been doing for ever, protection rackets are nothing new. If these people think they have a case, take it to court. They should be treated like any other criminal gang, arrest them all for demanding money with menaces.

Guest X-QUORK
So if a group of people occupy a building with bombs and threaten to blow it up unless they are given a ransom, that's OK?

It seems to me this is what criminals have been doing for ever, protection rackets are nothing new. If these people think they have a case, take it to court. They should be treated like any other criminal gang, arrest them all for demanding money with menaces.

Not as simple as that, this is much a political battle as it is financial. One could easily argue that these workers are just attempting to win back resources stolen from the French taxpayers by unworthy and dishonest Corporations.

Renault and Peugeot probably need to retrieve the tooling and machinery from the factory to switch it to another sub contractor.

Quite. Allegedly this is how a certain car manufacturer used to operate: tell some keen business that they want to buy X widgets from them. Business tools up and gets everything in place. Ooops! There's a problem with the widgets, sorry: car manufacturer X can't take them. Business goes bankrupt & the car manufacturer gets to buy all the tooling for a song from the receiver to pass on to their pet supplier elsewhere who they had lined up all along.

Edited by pharm

As Stacy Herbert points out it's OK for the bankers to threaten to blow up the financial system if they don't get their bail out money.

Quite. Allegedly this is how a certain car manufacturer used to operate: tell some keen business that they want to buy X widgets from them. Business tools up and gets everything in place. Ooops! There's a problem with the widgets, sorry: car manufacturer X can't take them. Business goes bankrupt & the car manufacturer gets to buy all the tooling for a song from the receiver to pass on to their pet supplier elsewhere who they had lined up all along.

That's news to me, any source to these allegations?

Guest redwine

Its not the first time that French workers have threatened to blow up a factory it happened a few years ago

More recently French workers Boss-nap or they kidnap there employer but again only when they are going too lose there jobs

Not forgetting last weeks riots that lasted for 3 days in a suburb of Saint Etienne riot -police fighting with North African immigrants

High unemployment ,high prices no money the french workers are taking desperate measures