House Price Crash Forum

Dodgy Building

Taken from my local poncey newspaper The Ham & High. Laughable really.

Marc Mullen and Roger Heath

A TEACHER has criticised the award-winning £4million redevelopment of the Isokon flats after his balcony melted.

David Wright, a teacher at a Barnet secondary school, has suffered a catalogue of problems since moving in to his £170,000 studio flat in Lawn Road, Hampstead, in January.

In May, Mr Wright and 12 other keyworkers living in the Grade I-listed building, sent a list of problems to freeholders, the Notting Hill Housing Association (NHHA).

The 39-year-old has since noticed he was sinking into his balcony as temperatures soared last week.

Mr Wright said: "The concrete or whatever they have used on the balcony has melted. When I sit on my chair it goes down about 1cm.

"There is a whole catalogue of shoddy workmanship, which would be an insult to a cowboy builder. Notting Hill has been very complacent. All it does is ring up the contractor, who does very little.

"It appears that they were in such a rush to get it completed, they got anybody in to finish it. The architect (Avanti) must have seen some problems."

Other defects at the prestigious 1934 block, which was previously home to crime writer Agatha Christie and a colony of artists, include:

q Paint peeling off walls in the corridor.

q Two damp-riddled kitchens having to be replaced.

q A security door falling off its hinges.

After the builders' warranty runs out in December residents will have to pay for problems out of their own pockets.

James McPherson, of NHHA, said: "Any new building suffers from defects. If they pick them up within a year, the contractor is obliged to fix them.

"But one would have thought they would have used a material on the balcony which could withstand people standing on it."

Teachers, nurses and ambulance workers occupy 20 of the 31 flats. The remainder are private homes.

Camden Council, which was in charge of renovations before selling the freehold to NHHA, blamed the high specification requirements of being a listed building for delays in the renovation.

Last week it was announced Isokon was to receive a design award from the Royal Institute of British Architects (Riba).

Tony Chapman, Riba Head of Awards, said: "We only examined four flats and spoke to one tenant about living there. We cannot examine every square inch of buildings we see.

"If we had known about the defects at Isokon then the Isokon Trust and architects Avanti may not have won the award."

Avanti declined to comment.

Ham and High

Guest prudence

Why do "delays" in renovation mean that they couldn't be done to a proper standard. Typical buck-passing with no one taking responsibility

...£170,000 studio flat ...

Interesting. You'd have to be quite stupid to pay £170,000 for a bedsit. Especially when you compare it to what you can rent for the same monthly outlay (in which case, some unfortunate gullible BTL'er will be lumbered with all the repair costs).

Hope this chap isn't a maths teacher...

Interesting.  You'd have to be quite stupid to pay £170,000 for a bedsit. Especially when you compare it to what you can rent for the same monthly outlay (in which case, some unfortunate gullible BTL'er will be lumbered with all the repair costs).

Hope this chap isn't a maths teacher...

Just what I was thinking. £170,000 for a studio-what a mug, and I live in the area so I am not easily shocked by stupid asking prices... :blink:

S.

It is a lovely area and the block itself is stunning (I went round it when it was derelict)

I'm not sure I'd pay £170k for a studio unless it came with a free kylie minogue

FF

Maybe it was stunning when it was derelict... but that was before a

developer got his mucky hands on it.

Melting balconies for god's sake!

:o