House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frizzers

The Thames Riverside Thread

As you will hear in the next Commodity Watch Radio, which I'll finish sometime in the next week or two, new build flats overlooking the Thames have not been selling well.

But other, in my view, more desirable riverside houses further upstream have been holding up comparatively well.

In the 90s, though, they took a big dive as careful lenders refused to lend on them, due to flood risk etc. Lack of available credit held down prices. The River Islands such as Thames Ditton Island were only available to cash buyers. (Not so now, two bed bungalows still shift for £6-700k).

Will we return to a time when fear of floods and tight lending mean many riverside homes are the preserve of cash buyers only?

I hope so. When we hit bottom I will be looking to buy my dream riverside home, so I want to keep track of what is going on from the mouth of the Thames right up to its navigable source in Lechlade.

So if you have a love of the river, you live near the river, you follow this niche market, you have anything to contribute, you like houseboats, please post your thoughts and let this be The Riverside Thread.

river_thames_at_pangbourne.jpg

Edited by Frizzers

thames_nav_map.jpg

Some links:

River Thames

Wikipedia

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/

http://www.taggs-island.com/

http://www.waterview.co.uk/

http://www.watersideresidential.co.uk/

http://www.riverthames.co.uk/properties.htm

because of the range of areas it will be quite hard to follow Thamesside (and Weyside and etc-side) properties through Land Reg. etc - indeed I wasn't even sure whether to put this in the London section or not - but if anyone can keep us updated on their bit that would be appreciated.

We had flood water in the house when I was about 8 years old. Ever since then I have lived at the top of big hills. Those riverside houses were cash only for a very good reason. If a riverside house is your dream good luck to you, sadly you may need it.

It will only take another bad flood and the insurance companies wont offer cover and then the houses will be cash only.

There are plans to redevelopment Twickenham riverside:

With the selection of the Countryside design, work has begun on completing their appointment, finalising the development agreement and preparing the planning application for the detailed scheme. Planning approval is hoped for towards the end of the year and a start on site early in 2010.

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/twickenham_riverside_regeneration

Map:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/twick_river_site_map.pdf

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...mp;t=h&z=16

What I nice idea for a thread, Well done Frizzers :)

I have special memories and links with the thames. I have always lived by the thames. Fulham for 27 years and in the last 15 I have lived in the Royal borough of Kingston and have just purchased hopefully my final house a mere 1.5 miles away from the river in Esher.

Actually I was married on the thames 10 years ago next week. Little island called Ravens Ait (Surbiton) and although against the law I quietly put the ashes of my father into the water from Eel pie Island.

My father and grandfather both worked at Battersea power station and and when I was a nipper I had one of the best and most recognised playgrounds in the world ;)

It is strange to think how much the river has been part of my life, from fishing all along it to swimming as a kid in up at Thames Ditton.

Hardly a day goes by when I don`t have to cross the water either via Kingston or Hampton Court bridges.

I could rattle on for hours about this subject :lol:

Hope all`s well with you Frizzers...

Bosh

That redevelopment is right by Eel Pie Island, one of the my favourite places.

I think they're crazy doing that in this economic environment FWIW

However, in my view you want to be up river on the other side of Teddington Lock - in new Bosh country - as the water seems to be cleaner and better for swimming in. I'm ready to be corrected but I believe the river in no longer tidal after Teddington Lock.

And Bosh it's amazing how many people feel such a huge affection for the river. I went to school in Barnes, right by Hammersmith Bridge, and was forever looking out of the window at it.

Riverside flats down stream , according the the bod from Douglas and Gordon , closer to the city centre have been falling in price . These flats may have nice views, but in my view are ugly as hell and have no actual relationship with the river.

However, in my view you want to be up river on the other side of Teddington Lock - in new Bosh country - as the water seems to be cleaner and better for swimming in. I'm ready to be corrected but I believe the river in no longer tidal after Teddington Lock.

And Bosh it's amazing how many people feel such a huge affection for the river. I went to school in Barnes, right by Hammersmith Bridge, and was forever looking out of the window at it.

Riverside flats down stream , according the the bod from Douglas and Gordon , closer to the city centre have been falling in price . These flats may have nice views, but in my view are ugly as hell and have no actual relationship with the river.

My boss bought an old flooded reck of a property on Eel pie island about 10 years ago and he still owns it. He has planning to build a 3/4 bed on stilts. It was originally owned by Nigel Planner aka Neil from the young ones and like all the houses on the island it has a name, Shamrock.

When the old man was alive we used to fish from the island and it seemed the most appropriate place to spread his ashes. He wanted to go in the water as he was a very keen angler and loved boats.

I work in Teddington and spend maybe too much time having beers by the river in the summer.

I went to school on the opposite side of the river in Fulham, a stones throw from Fulham football club but I was once a milkman and my round included Putney and Barnes.

Anyway back to Eel Pie. He has a glorious plot just next to the wooded end of the island overlooking the banks of ham. My uncle demolished the existing building early this year and I may get the gig to project manage the new build.

There are many rules on the island and everything including materials have to be barged over.

I`ll try and dig out some pics out of the land and views.

I must admit when I go back to Fulham now and cross Wandsworth Bridge, I am astounded and saddened just by the amount of development along the river especially where the old brewery off york road was.

I think the nice part of the river starts at Putney and follows the boat race and onwards ;) It just gets better and better.

It does look quite ambitious. There are also plans for a makeover of the ugly 'Bishops Hall' buildings next to Kingston Bridge. This is quite welcome as it should improve it quite significantly. I will see if I can dig out a link.

You are right about the tidal stretch ending at Teddington Lock

Edited by worried1

I must admit when I go back to Fulham now and cross Wandsworth Bridge, I am astounded and saddened just by the amount of development along the river especially where the old brewery off york road was.

I think the nice part of the river starts at Putney and follows the boat race and onwards ;) It just gets better and better.

I think that the over development is a risk even further down. I thought that the Charter Quay development in Kingston was an excellent idea as it really connected the town to the riverside and used a piece of land that had been left bizarrely derelict for years. However, it is a very large development which has now been joined by an even bigger one on the Hampton Wick side of the bridge. The planners need to be careful that this part of the river does not start to resemble some of the others further into town.

That being said, the walk from Surbiton to Richmond is a fantastic way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I do this quite a lot, only deviating from the river into Ham Lands when high tide floods the toepath approaching Richmond. I just cannot believe that I am actually in suburban London for most of this route.

Mrs used to live in Putney not far from the river, and I once got up at 4am to see one of the big equinox tides. Floating cars were fun

http://www.noelwatson.com/blog/PermaLink,g...8006cac02d.aspx

Love some of the house in Wey road (especially the view from the opposite bank)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=...mp;t=h&z=16

but I think the road was flooded a few years back.

Mrs used to live in Putney not far from the river, and I once got up at 4am to see one of the big equinox tides. Floating cars were fun

:lol: Same here, spent many a lazy afternoon supping beer in pubs like the star and Garter, watching silly people parking on the slipways that lead to the water and go off shopping only to be devastated when the car is either steering wheel deep or as actually floated off.

Does this count as a pub sport?

I've been looking into the possibility of acquiring a houseboat (or similar) on the Thames in London/Surrey, as I could afford the initial capital expense (the houseboat itself and the premium for already being at a residential mooring) and it being a cheaper/more pleasant option (possibly - see the next bit) than getting a studio flat or so in the area.

However - and this is the bit I'd like advice on - what are the monthly/annual running costs like? Obviously there's mooring/services fees, which I think I'd be able to manage, but what about insurance? How much does it cost to insure a stationary houseboat? If anyone has experience of living on a houseboat in the UK, could you advise on the costs please? Thanks! :)

One advantage of buying a houseboat is that you don't pay any stamp duty.Have a look at maybe renting one on Taggs Island for a bit and see how you like it.Living on a boat looks idyllic but there's a lot of ongoing maintenance . There's always something to do.

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the spectrum, is anyone feeling rich ?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...EGION%255E10964

Edited by Frizzers