House Price Crash Forum

The Most Deluded Vendor In The Uk?

HOLA441

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle6682972.ece

The most motivated seller in the UK?

Cut asking price from £2m to £1.35 (32.5%). Originally on for £3m. Still no interest from buyers.

Offering £90k incentives (CAR & BOAT - most people would rather take a fair price) and opening marketing stalls to "get it sold". Idiot. This level of general delusion ("selling cheap" as Sibley would put it) will take many years to eradicate.

Here's our own Sarah Beeney's take on his position:

"With just about any property, the harsh reality is simple. If it does not sell, then it is simply on for too much money.

While you have to admire the spirit of Jonathan Blain, I can't help feeling that rather than adding to the scattergun approach to marketing he has taken, it would be more productive to take a step back and look at the whole property from a distance.

The asking price may have been substantially reduced from £2.75m to £1.35m, creating what appears to be a £1.5m discount — but this is only true if it was worth close to £3m in the first place. Personally, I think most buyers are more savvy these days. The Old Bakehouse was terribly overpriced, and that only raises the question: “Is it still too expensive?†The asking price may need to come down even more before any prospective buyers will believe that they are picking up a bargain. Few will be fooled by marketing gimmicks.

The real problem with this property, aside from the valuation, is its location. Look at the competition and it is obvious why the Old Bakehouse has not sold. In this area of Devon, the same money would buy a house of a similar size with no near neighbours and lots of land. This period property may have been charmingly restored, and have river frontage and a walled garden, but that is just not enough to make it worth many hundreds of thousands of pounds more than rival properties on the market. Had the refurbishment not recently been completed, it would be tempting to suggest that the owner divide the property into two separate and more affordable houses. Ultimately, it may be more effective for Blain to remove the listing from all websites for a month or so and relaunch it at a more realistic price, so that it appears fresh to the market. [EQUIVALENT TO "KICK THE PROBLEM IN TO THE LONG GRASS - IT'LL BE BETTER IN [X] MONTHS"]

Sarah Beeny, who made her name on the Channel 4 series Property Ladder, has just launched the property website www.tepilo.com"

Edited by uncle_monty

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Take a look at this from the same guy (Jonathan Blain) who can't sell his house ....

Extreme House Selling

HOW TO SELL YOUR HOME FASTER AND FOR A HIGHER PRICE IN A

BUYER'S MARKET IN THE WORST ECONOMIC STORM"

“Isn’t it time you started to consider a different approach to selling your home quickly, and for a higher price? Are you frustrated that it is taking so long, and that there are too few buyers coming to view, or that you are receiving ridiculously low offers?â€

Jonathan Blain is the Founder and Creator of "Extreme House Selling".

* He is a Property Selling Strategist

* He is a highly experienced business leader in many different roles including nearly five years a CEO of Quoted PLC

* He had considerable experience of adversity in life and business

* He is a genuine pioneer and thought leader - an international best selling business author with $3.8 million sales

* His work has previously been endorsed by nine CEO's of UK Top 1,000 companies and the Director General of the Institute of Directors

* He has had over 20 years sales and marketing experience including owning a sales training organisation

* He is a professional, business, motivational and inspirational speaker

* He appears in the media regularly including national TV

* Jonathan is a Leader in Disruptive Innovation

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Wow! That picture looks amazingly familiar!

There was a house up for rent for several months within shouting distance. Don't recollect the exact asking price, but I think it was about £800/month for a 3-bed place on the same stretch of riverfront.

HOLA449

When this story was on before when he was offering £100,000 to anyone who would help sell his house, didn't someone on here find out that he'd bought it at the peak for something like ~£450,000. Even if he has spent £800,000 doing it up then his total spend would be ~£1.25m. If you include the crap he's throwing in then you get somewhere near the £1.35m asking price.

It appears to me that he bought at the wrong time and is now trying a few gimmicks to get out without getting his fingers burnt.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The link to the Times article has been cut

Edit...must have been too much traffic to the site its working again?

Is the extreme selling web site for real or is that part of his scheme to sell the bun house.??

Well spotted Tattoo`d Lady !

Edited by tiggerthetiger

HOLA4414
Vendor : ‘If I’d listened, we wouldn’t be in this pickle’, but at least nobody has died.â€

That statement shows how really ticked off he is. He is comparing the situation, as almost as serious to someone dying..

I think his Grandparents died.

BS

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
When this story was on before when he was offering £100,000 to anyone who would help sell his house, didn't someone on here find out that he'd bought it at the peak for something like ~£450,000. Even if he has spent £800,000 doing it up then his total spend would be ~£1.25m. If you include the crap he's throwing in then you get somewhere near the £1.35m asking price.

It appears to me that he bought at the wrong time and is now trying a few gimmicks to get out without getting his fingers burnt.

Zoopla says sold 13th Aug 2007 for 412,500 value now 340,298. Did he even really spend 800k doing it up? Probably not. So he is one of the worlds biggest @vnts!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

He should have stuck to something he was actually good at!

HOLA4420
Zoopla says sold 13th Aug 2007 for 412,500 value now 340,298. Did he even really spend 800k doing it up? Probably not. So he is one of the worlds biggest @vnts!

But that was only for the part of the house that he had to buy from his co-inheritors.

And look at the spec - solar panels, computer controlled lighting, internal and external CCTV etc. It is quite possible that he spent 800K. Whether it was wise to do so, even at the peak of the market, is another matter.

tim

HOLA4421

But that was only for the part of the house that he had to buy from his co-inheritors.

And look at the spec - solar panels, computer controlled lighting, internal and external CCTV etc. It is quite possible that he spent 800K. Whether it was wise to do so, even at the peak of the market, is another matter.

tim

[/quote

I stand corrected on the co-inheritors. The expenses doing it up, sorry, I can not see t at all. Remember he could be counting the furniture which will go with him. Computer controlled lighting is not THAT much, nor id CCTV.

HOLA4422

[/quote

I stand corrected on the co-inheritors. The expenses doing it up, sorry, I can not see t at all. Remember he could be counting the furniture which will go with him. Computer controlled lighting is not THAT much, nor id CCTV.

Still, gotta feel for him, shame and all that... No its no good, I have just got to find a moment to laugh about this.

30 mins later. No really, its not funny...another 30 minutes of laughter....

I think that some advice I was given many years ago works for this situation, it was "leave some value for the buyer". Ie sell your shares after a reasonable profit and do not worry about the purchaser making a bit too. If only he and countless other people thought that a reasonable price was good for everybody, paying or asking ludicrous prices makes the world look ludicrous.

HOLA4423
[/quote

Still, gotta feel for him, shame and all that... No its no good, I have just got to find a moment to laugh about this.

30 mins later. No really, its not funny...another 30 minutes of laughter....

I think that some advice I was given many years ago works for this situation, it was "leave some value for the buyer". Ie sell your shares after a reasonable profit and do not worry about the purchaser making a bit too. If only he and countless other people thought that a reasonable price was good for everybody, paying or asking ludicrous prices makes the world look ludicrous.

Indeed, leave some meat on the bone!

HOLA4424

Indeed... whatever he spent he has made a very ugly interior.

If you want to sell for a premium it must be good, IMPO apart from the location and size of the place it is CR@P!

Bathroom Pictures

Have a look at the bath... don't know about you but if I spent 1.3 MILLION POUNDS i wouldn't want to be twatting my head off the sloping celling everytime I got out of the tub which anyone over six foot wouldn't fit in anyway.

Don't even get me started on the disgusting, cramped kitchen :lol:

The guy is a joker, he'll be lucky to get 400k IMPO

Edited by Bubble&Squeak

HOLA4425
The asking price may have been substantially reduced from £2.75m to £1.35m, creating what appears to be a £1.5m discount — but this is only true if it was worth close to £3m in the first place.

Doesn't this just sum up the current crash situation we are at now? The reductions are there, but it's still meaningless because the prices were so inflated to begin with. A 30% drop now is a drop in the ocean.

It's going to be a long way down.