House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Oh Dear, I'm Agreeing With Harriet Harman

It started off badly:

The Mail on Sunday has learned that she wants to introduce rules to halt discrimination against people from ‘up North’ and other regions, and has instructed her Equalities Office to look at ‘diversity proposals’ to stop Londoners and other Southerners lording it over the rest of the country.

But when you get to the meat of it I can only agree. If the Arts Council (say) had a few more regional people on the board they wouldn't waste money in the way they do IMHO. These jobs are advertised and recruited in the South East so that's their demographic. Though maybe a better answer would be to base them across the country. Why shouldn't the Arts Council operate out of Londonderry for example?

This would be similar to shifting the BBC out of London, which has happened a bit but not enough.

Mr Foster was challenged by Yorkshire MP Meg Munn to stop people from the South East dominating the boards of public bodies based in London but that have a national remit.

Sheffield-born Ms Munn, a former Minister for Women and Equality, demanded action on ‘how we can get fewer people from the South East and more people from a wider area’ to serve on the boards.

Mr Foster revealed that the Government was already looking at the issue. ‘You make an important point,’ he said. ‘National boards still seem to have that problem, so an important part of our diversity proposals is that regional targeting will be part of future planning.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ng-regions.html

Guest X-QUORK

I was seriously expecting a link to the Daily Mash. Must be a sloooow news day.

I wrote to Harman pointing out an anomoly in the Equality Bill. Eight weeks on I have still not had a reply. All window dressing and no action.

Guest AuntJess

I can remember twenty years ago when my son was in the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore for spinal surgery. He was there for a month, during which time I stayed in a hostel part of the week and journeyed back north to teach the rest of the week.

In a conversation with one of the other mothers, I said how impressed I was with the hospital - levels of care etc. and she got quite alarmed. "Don't tell people when you go back up north: They'll all want to come here!"

It seemed to have escaped her notice that it was a NATIONAL hospital, funded by taxpayers from all over the UK. I pointed this out to her and she was a bit off with me. Evidently she did not want to share what she thought belonged only to the south-east. <_<

My family also got a lot of stick in a Devonshire hotel once, from a Cockney ex-car salesman-now manager of the hotel. When ever we met he would mimic our accent...thought it was GREAT fun.He was totally unaware that his accent left a fair bit to be desired. :rolleyes: He was also as sexist as they come, as in when I paid the bill for the holiday He mentioned summat about my being the 'little woman', doing this important function.

I had had quite enough of this jerk by this time, so I gave him my BPS credit card for the transaction. He queried what it was as he hadn't seen one before. I told him you had to be a practicing psychologist to get one.He went a bit quiet after that. :lol:

There is a kind of home counties twit who seems to think that living close to the country's capital, makes you somehow superior to every body else.

I can remember twenty years ago when my son was in the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore for spinal surgery. He was there for a month, during which time I stayed in a hostel part of the week and journeyed back north to teach the rest of the week.

In a conversation with one of the other mothers, I said how impressed I was with the hospital - levels of care etc. and she got quite alarmed. "Don't tell people when you go back up north: They'll all want to come here!"

It seemed to have escaped her notice that it was a NATIONAL hospital, funded by taxpayers from all over the UK. I pointed this out to her and she was a bit off with me. Evidently she did not want to share what she thought belonged only to the south-east. <_<

My family also got a lot of stick in a Devonshire hotel once, from a Cockney ex-car salesman-now manager of the hotel. When ever we met he would mimic our accent...thought it was GREAT fun.He was totally unaware that his accent left a fair bit to be desired. :rolleyes: He was also as sexist as they come, as in when I paid the bill for the holiday He mentioned summat about my being the 'little woman', doing this important function.

I had had quite enough of this jerk by this time, so I gave him my BPS credit card for the transaction. He queried what it was as he hadn't seen one before. I told him you had to be a practicing psychologist to get one.He went a bit quiet after that. :lol:

There is a kind of home counties twit who seems to think that living close to the country's capital, makes you somehow superior to every body else.

As a southerner I have to admit I find some northern accents funny. No reason, just do. I wouldn't mention it (why wind people up?) but people from Yorkshire must think I'm a very friendly person as I'm always smiling when I speak to them!

There has also been some local resentment of the Great Ormond Street fund-raising machine as it takes money that should be going to local childrens' wards.

Guest AuntJess
As a southerner I have to admit I find some northern accents funny. No reason, just do. I wouldn't mention it (why wind people up?) but people from Yorkshire must think I'm a very friendly person as I'm always smiling when I speak to them!

There has also been some local resentment of the Great Ormond Street fund-raising machine as it takes money that should be going to local childrens' wards.

I know what you mean. :D I am always tempted to mimic Cockney back, but am not so good at mimicry. My daughter - on the other hand - has an incredible ear and can fool the 'natives' of any region when she 'does' them. ;)