House Price Crash Forum

Prices In Bristol

HOLA441

Does anyone have a view on (i) what this flat is actually worth, and (ii) what sort of offer is likely to get accepted? 3 bed city centre flat. Asking price £200k (ignore the £99k advertised price as that's part buy, part rent).

http://www.findanewhome.com/south-west-eng...2d5d03b511d.fap

Tried the regional forum but it seems a bit dead there....

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Bristol asking prices for good houses have returned to around 2007 comedy prices.

Flats, 200,000 sounds too much altogether.

Buyer beware, ask yourself what you can likely sell it on for if you yourself wish to.

I dont really agree with Gruffydd's view that Bris has been hit hard by the recession compared to other areas.

Best of luck.

HOLA445
200k for a 3-bed flat? - I'd prefer a terrace for 150-175k. Bristol's economy has been particularly badly hit by the recession. I work there a great deal. It's Baaaaaaad!

This Bristol Example CC basement flat euphemistically described as a 'garden flat' but has no garden access!) and appears to have a bedroom under the street. Looks like they think it's still 2007.

HOLA446
HOLA447

In March 2008, Bristol processed 5,116 dole claimants. A year later, the figure had climbed to 10,680. Nikki Lewis is the manager at the Bristol job centre, only three weeks into the job. She's busy and has been recruiting to cope with demand. 'The newest thing that we have found are middle managers from finance companies,' she says.

Accountants and those working in financial services have been badly hit - the city is home to many head offices and contact centres. Construction workers, architects and solicitors have also been feeling the pain. And many of the laid-off workers at Honda's plant in Swindon travelled from Bristol. 'There's a sense of resentment and upset,' she says.

http://www.recruiter.co.uk/cities-outside-...1001227.article

Or you could instead trust the words of Del Brett

http://eveningpostwatch.wordpress.com/2009...economy-stupid/

:lol:

On top of that, the crime crisis there is getting worse (bad already)

http://www.cashquestions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8732

http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/news...von___Somerset/

Nationally published statistics obtained under the Freedom of Information Act reveal that the number of offences in the force area has risen from 360 in 2007-08 to 618 last year – a whopping 72% increase.

And then there's the housing market:

http://www.aboutproperty.co.uk/news/uk-pro...036;1291620.htm

Research shows towns worst hit by the recession

Wednesday, 29 Apr 2009 11:05

Research out today from uSwitch.com has discovered the towns worst hit by the recession.

Hardest hit was Swindon, where a 16 per cent drop in house prices was seen alongside high unemployment, which rose 197 per cent.

Luton took the biggest hit in terms of house prices, which fell 19 per cent; closely followed by Rochdale and Bristol.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA448
Bristol asking prices for good houses have returned to around 2007 comedy prices.

Flats, 200,000 sounds too much altogether.

Buyer beware, ask yourself what you can likely sell it on for if you yourself wish to.

I dont really agree with Gruffydd's view that Bris has been hit hard by the recession compared to other areas.

Best of luck.

Based on retail trading figures, I'd say he's right. Have a toddle round the city centre and you'd think you were in Soviet era eastern europe. I haven't been since earlier in the year and I doubt it's got any better.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I've just managed to get a job in Bristol, so maybe it's not that bad...

I'm probably going to end up renting but was considering putting in some "cheeky" (i.e. realistic) offers. Also need to decide whether to live in a city centre flat and walk to work, or live somewhere a bit nicer and drive in (apparently the traffic is terrible, though).

HOLA4411

I'm probably going to end up renting but was considering putting in some "cheeky" (i.e. realistic) offers. Also need to decide whether to live in a city centre flat and walk to work, or live somewhere a bit nicer and drive in (apparently the traffic is terrible, though).

I'd be tempted to live near a railway station - somewhere in the outskirts or an outlying settlement. But I guess I'm showing my age.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yes the rush-hour traffic is terrible - so I'd go for the city centre flat option unless you have flexi-time. If you do go for the commuting option, bear in mind that the roads are much quieter during July-September due to the university summer vacation.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Don't much care for Southville, personally - mainly a bunch of Clifton-wannabe-Bemmies in my experience interspersed with plenty of chavs and the seedy B&Bs of Coronation Rd. I live in Emerson's Green on the outskirts because it's easy to get onto the M4 for work and because it's pretty safe for my family but as a born-and-bred Bristolian who has lived in various parts of Bristol for 25 of my 32 years, I can't say there's any part of the city I consider to be truly 'desirable'. It's only my social/family network that keeps us here.

If you are looking to avoid a tortuous commute, work out which side of the city centre your job is situated and go for a district in that general direction - getting through the centre is no delight at 3am, doing it in the rush hour is an order of magnitude worse.

HOLA4418
Based on retail trading figures, I'd say he's right. Have a toddle round the city centre and you'd think you were in Soviet era eastern europe. I haven't been since earlier in the year and I doubt it's got any better.

"Soviet era eastern europe"? Rubbish. I live in Bristol, over the years I've lived in Hotwells, Sneyd Park, Bradley Stoke and Clifton (in that order). The clifton village I walked through this afternoon was busy, the coffee shops and restaurants were busy. Whiteladies Rd and Park St are a vibrant as ever. Even the new Cabot circus shopping centre is full and the last couple of times I went to the new cinema down there it was busy.

I work up on the Aztec West park and it looks like there are less empty offices there now than two years ago.

I know the economy is screwed, it's very hard to overestimate just how bad things are but I do think HPC goes off the doomer end sometimes (like the Soviet comment above). As British cities go, I'd rank Bristol in the top five. There are far far worse places out there.

HOLA4419
"Soviet era eastern europe"? Rubbish. I live in Bristol, over the years I've lived in Hotwells, Sneyd Park, Bradley Stoke and Clifton (in that order). The clifton village I walked through this afternoon was busy, the coffee shops and restaurants were busy. Whiteladies Rd and Park St are a vibrant as ever. Even the new Cabot circus shopping centre is full and the last couple of times I went to the new cinema down there it was busy.

I work up on the Aztec West park and it looks like there are less empty offices there now than two years ago.

I know the economy is screwed, it's very hard to overestimate just how bad things are but I do think HPC goes off the doomer end sometimes (like the Soviet comment above). As British cities go, I'd rank Bristol in the top five. There are far far worse places out there.

+1.

I find it's mostly Bristolians who've lived in Bristol all their lives who slag off Bristol - they don't know how lucky they are.

HOLA4420

I visit the retail areas of every major town and city in the UK - just telling it as I see it, and to me Bristol looks like it's in serious decline compared with just a couple of years ago.