House Price Crash Forum

Why Are So Many British Men Bald?

blankster

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
I mean bald by choice - i.e. shaved head. But why?

I think they think it makes them look hard. But sadly it just makes them look ugly, you have to be very handsome to get away with a shaved head and still look attractive. Its also very aging id say too, say around +5 years.

HOLA444

Of course, people can have their hair how they like, and I can understand men with thinning hair might reach an all-off stage. William Hague is one man who looks better after deciding to dispense with his remaining hair, but he's an exception, I think.

What prompted me to post this thread was the 'why are British women so fat' thread!!!

HOLA445

Possibly because it costs a sodding fortune to get your hair cut these days. Why not just get yourself a a cheap pair of trimmers and have done with it?

No worrying about combing it or styling it.

I'm not a baldy though.

HOLA446
Guest skullingtonjoe
I think they think it makes them look hard. But sadly it just makes them look ugly, you have to be very handsome to get away with a shaved head and still look attractive. Its also very aging id say too, say around +5 years.

You need to have a kind of Mediterranean look about you.

Examples of looking good with shaved head:

1. Yul Brynner

2. Telly Savalas

3. (Maybe) Vin Diesel

4 (And last, but not least) - me! :P;)

Not looking good with shaved head (also happen to be white):

1. Phil Mitchell

2. Grant Mitchell

3. Alf Garnett.

:blink::rolleyes::unsure:

HOLA447

If you're talking about going down to a level 0 or level 1 with the clippers then i bet for most people it is actually to hide thinning hair on the crown, the shorter the hair is the more you can diguise it. If you think they're doing it by choice and aren't going bald that's because it works.

Every now and again i'll go to a level 3 or 4 simply for maintenance purposes, its quick to was and you don't need to style it.

HOLA448
You need to have a kind of Mediterranean look about you.

Examples of looking good with shaved head:

4 (And last, but not least) - me! :P;)

I was expecting this under lined bit to be a link to a picture of you! And all the people youve listed ive never seen them with hair (that I can think) so its hard to contrast.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest skullingtonjoe
If you're talking about going down to a level 0 or level 1 with the clippers then i bet for most people it is actually to hide thinning hair on the crown, the shorter the hair is the more you can diguise it. If you think they're doing it by choice and aren't going bald that's because it works.

Every now and again i'll go to a level 3 or 4 simply for maintenance purposes, its quick to was and you don't need to style it.

Bottom line is that if you`re losing your hair you have 4 choices:

1.Combover (aka the `barcode`). Doesn`t look good, people know you are really concerned and they`ll take the p1$$.

2. Wig. Can look good but has high maintenance factors and if it comes off - well, embarrassment central. :unsure:

3. Implants. Costs an absolute fortune and may not work. If it does all well and good, but I think we`ve got a long way to go before it is perfected and becomes affordable.

4. Short / shaved hair. You`ve accepted that you are `follicly challenged` and have decided to try and deal with the problem in a reasonably dignified manner. You don`t care what other people think and wear your slap-headedness with pride and confidence, making the best out of a bad situation.

I chose option 4 and I believe I made the right choice (although I did go through a bit of a combover / denial phase at first). :lol:

HOLA4411
Guest skullingtonjoe
I was expecting this under lined bit to be a link to a picture of you! And all the people youve listed ive never seen them with hair (that I can think) so its hard to contrast.

The trouble is that I`m incredibly vain and I`ll go running home to mummy in tears if anyone makes negative comments about my appearance! :rolleyes:

Also - if people know what I look like (and most of you know I live in Portsmouth) - I might get whacked up for having some of my less-than-politically-correct opinions! :unsure:

HOLA4412
Guest skullingtonjoe

I saw a picture of Ross Kemp with hair once (in his younger years) and I think he actually looks better without hair! :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The trouble is that I`m incredibly vain and I`ll go running home to mummy in tears if anyone makes negative comments about my appearance! :rolleyes:

Also - if people know what I look like (and most of you know I live in Portsmouth) - I might get whacked up for having some of my less-than-politically-correct opinions! :unsure:

Would it be politically correct for them to hit you for your views? lol But I understand what you mean :)

HOLA4415
Guest skullingtonjoe
Would it be politically correct for them to hit you for your views? lol But I understand what you mean :)

Probably not, but then we are talking Portsmouth here, and reason - indeed civilisation - went south a long time ago. :unsure::rolleyes::(

HOLA4416

Pattern baldness, combovers and wigs all look faaaaaarrr more ridiculous than a shaved head. It's a easy as that.

I've often wondered what kind of man looks in the mirror, sees a bald spot and thinks hmmmm... what shall I do about this? I know I'll just comb a few strands over it. That'll sort it out. No one will ever know!

HOLA4417
Guest skullingtonjoe
Pattern baldness, combovers and wigs all look faaaaaarrr more ridiculous than a shaved head. It's a easy as that.

I've often wondered what kind of man looks in the mirror, sees a bald spot and thinks hmmmm... what shall I do about this? I know I'll just comb a few strands over it. That'll sort it out. No one will ever know!

Probably the ones who are seeing green shoots! :rolleyes: ::huh:

HOLA4418

From a female perspective (girl talk over the years) a man who is going bald and has shaved it all off is generally seen to be most attractive. Comb-overs, wigs etc. viewed as a complete joke.

However, a man who would normally have a complete head of hair and who would then shave it off (unless for an acting role) would be viewed with suspicion.

I certainly view baldy shavers as absolutely gorgeous. My pin up is the actor Ed Harris - swoon...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Because all male chavs seems to love the shaven-headed neo-nazi look.

That said, if someone goes bald they should shave it off. No combover or Terry Nutkins job. I can understand women being stressed if they lose their hair, but if you're a man who gives a ****?

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK

I was faced with the choice of a combover or a close crop, went for the latter. Also, I worship Phil Mitchell.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest skullingtonjoe
I was faced with the choice of a combover or a close crop, went for the latter. Also, I worship Phil Mitchell.

Nooooooooooo....geezer...`e ain`t worf it...cor blimey guv!

I still think that Telly Savalas is the patron saint of all slapheads. All genuflect in the presence of St.Telly! :lol:

Archived