House Price Crash Forum

How Can I Lose Weight?

rolf

HOLA441
I am overweight and am loosing weight at the mo via the lighter life program.

There is a cheaper alternative called the Cambridge dieet that you could follow also.

After loosing you will have to beef up your dicipline so that you maintain.

HTH

I watched a documentary recently about popular 'diets'. Some of the medical complications of Lighter Life were quite scary.

'there are some more serious side effects of VLCDs, including the development of gout, gallstones and cardiac disturbances. In particular, the risk of gallstones increases when people lose more than 1.5kg (3.3lb) a week' :blink:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Whilst there is a wealth of information available, people don’t know how to apply it. A good PT will know how to constantly drive and motivate a client and apply the right program to the right person

Look at this thread for instance, most of the information here is of a fairly decent standard, but there is some utter crap as well, how does a novice apply it to themselves. Take the bits they like and ignore those that they don’t?

As for downloading an exercise routine from a website and using it

90% of the people I see training, haven't a clue about what they are doing, form is awful, terrible postures, lifting weights too heavy for them, with poor routines bad and exercise combinations etc.. Some of the worse physiques I have come across are on people who train like this.

I have seen some truly shocking advice offered up on website forums, how is a novice to tell the good from the bad? If you have the experience, reviewing information and knowing how to apply it yourself is one thing. But a 45 year old Man, who hasn't exercised in 20 years, with a minor heart condition. do you really think it’s a good idea for him to download a fat loss program go to his local council run gym and start – and I see this kind of advise given on a weekly basis.

If I have a client that wants a few sessions to feel more confident training, have a program designed specifically for them, to focus on their areas of development, then come back to me once every few months to review progress, adjust programs etc… I am more than happy to do this.

I only coach part time these days, and I am very selective with my clients, only taking on 2 or 3 at a time. I want every single one of my clients to be the best they can be.

I will admit there are some terrible PT's out there and truly knowledgeable amateurs. I've training and coaching for 15 years, I have regular meetings with a coach to review my progress, discuss my aims and goals. The truth is no one can train successfully alone, without specific personalised input from experts.

But you are right about one thing, motivation.

I see many people who say they want to lose weight, get in shape, get fit etc…. But the reality is they don't.

If you want to lose weight, you need to choose to lose weight.

My weight moves between 100kg in December and 80kg in July, I can lose 1kg a week for 20 weeks or gain 1kg a week for 20 weeks, depending on what I want to achieve. It isn't complicated, it isn't difficult, most people can do it, most people just don’t want to do it.

Fair points, I should have realised there'd be a personal trainer in this thread! I agree there is a time and place for them, personally I'm not someone who easily defers to another's knowledge, especially when it comes to your own body/finances etc. Some people want others to do their researching for them. Typical gym mistakes I suppose personal trainers put right is getting the guys to do more than chest and biceps to avoid the chicken legs and hunched over look, and getting the girls to move up from the pink dumbells. :P Anything to do with medicine balls is IMO a farce though and I notice personal trainers love these.

HOLA443
Many differing ways to skin the cat it seems by the posts here.

On the subject of the term diet and keeping it off.

I have managed to keep my weight off and when people say to me are you still on your diet and they do say things like that when you loose 14k I say that I aint on one. I call it a different way of eating.

I also am not convinced that exercise is a key to weight loss. Having said that I do stick to my 30 mins a week of slow burn weights at home and my muscle tone is good. I also think that some insulin resistance that I had is now diminishing and I believe that the slow burn is accomplishing this.

Diet (calorie intake) is definitely key. Exercise just speeds up the process, and weights help you retain muscle rather than have you end up a smaller version of your old self - you want fat loss not weight loss. What is "slow burn" by the way?

HOLA444
HOLA445

Hi All,

Having taken a few tips from the replies on here, last week I stopped eating bread, potatoes and any dairy products.

I have changed nothing else in my lifestyle other than this. I still had a curry (and naan bread) and a couple of beers last weekend, a couple of glasses of wine during the week and the odd choclate biscuit.

Just making this change i've lost 2.1 kg in 7 days. Excellent! Only another 12 to go....

Unfortunately, starting this weekend I have 4 weddings to go to in 5 weeks so it'll be "interesting" to see how much damage they can do to the good work :(

HOLA446
Spot on, watch it fall off, literally.

Try to drop the sweet stuff out altogether and you will be amazed at how quickly your craving for sweets will diminish. I used to have the sweetest tooth and now dont.

I wouldn't worry to much about dairy except milk as its high sugar, cream, cheese (except cottage cheese) etc are all low sugar and are fine. Cut the milk out completely and dont touch low fat milk as it is higher in sugar like most low fat products.

At the weddings just pig out on meat, complex carbs, fat and wine and you will be fine. Pure alcohol drops blood sugar levels, provided you dont have sweet mixers, avoid beer, ports and mixed drinks with sugary mixers including cocktails.

Last night for dinner I had double roasted duck with bok chow, bottle of red, cheese platter, not a problem.

Just had bacon, poached eggs, half a grilled tom (no toast) and three double espressos with full cream on the side for brekkie and feel as fit as a Mallee Bull.

Beware the people that want you to fail :ph34r:

HOLA447
Hi All,

Having taken a few tips from the replies on here, last week I stopped eating bread, potatoes and any dairy products.

I have changed nothing else in my lifestyle other than this. I still had a curry (and naan bread) and a couple of beers last weekend, a couple of glasses of wine during the week and the odd choclate biscuit.

Just making this change i've lost 2.1 kg in 7 days. Excellent! Only another 12 to go....

Unfortunately, starting this weekend I have 4 weddings to go to in 5 weeks so it'll be "interesting" to see how much damage they can do to the good work :(

Please do not give up dairy without properly making sure that you are getting calcium and other essential vitamins and minerals from other sources (such as sesame seeds, sardines with bones, dark green veg) . A good friend of mine (male) in his fifities has quite serious osteoperosis from giving up dairy in his thirties and making no effort to watch his calcium etc. intake.

Unless you have proven gluten intolerance (coeliac blood test proved) no need to give up gluten but do cut portions of carbs significantly. Your average meal probably has 2 to 3 times too large a portions

Eat less, move more will work for the vast majority of people. When I tried a pedometer for a while I was shocked how few steps I was doing in a day, often only about 3,000 when 10,000 are recommended - and that was as someone who walked an extra tube stop in a day, not someone who got in the car to drive to work.

If you want to do an exclusion diet, try one that exludes anything with refined sugar in it. It will really help you re-educate your palate.

Interesting calculator here for how many calories a day you need to maintain weight http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2005/03/daily_counter.html

You may be shocked to find that, for the average sedentary person, calorie needs are actually about 4 - 500 a day less than even the government recommended averages

Archived