House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rolf

How Can I Lose Weight?

Stop eating burgers. bla bla.

Interested to hear from people who really have been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, how they did it. Or even those who have friends or family who have done the same.

Need to lose 15 to 20 kilos!

Interested to hear from people who really have been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, how they did it. Or even those who have friends or family who have done the same.

Reduce your calorie intake

Increase your work rate

Simple:

Step 1 - cut out all wheat.

This means bread, pasta, rice as rice is a type of wheat. Simply doing this will cut your weight in no time. It can take up to 6 weeks for wheat to pass through your gut and it just ferments as it goes.

This also means cutting down on pasties, sausage rolls and anything that has a 'wheat wrapper'.

Step 2 - not really needed if you do step 1

Cut down on carbs - simply eliminating potatoes from your diet will see you drop weight.

Step 3 - as above

Cut down on cheese and milk - again, you will see the pounds slip away if you stop eating them. Although you need to find another form of calcium

Step 4

Alcohol - enough said

Step 5

Do more aerobic exercise. Go for a long walk every day

Of course, most people ignore the above and keep stuffing themselves full of wheat, potatoes and cheese. Google marksdailyapple and have a read.

It's that simple really, eat healthy and exercise, by your eat less burgers comment, it would appear you really know the answer!

I was 107.5 k a month ago, i'm now 101, all I've done is eat chicken (no skin) and salad more, you can bulk eat the salad as it does you no harm and fills you up, however, don't add mayo or dressings :rolleyes:

Eat less crap, cut out snacks, I hardly drink beer or spirits , walk alot more briskly when walking the dog, that's my take on it anyway :blink:

Guest anorthosite

Find exercise you enjoy. You'll never stick to an exercise routine if you don't enjoy it.

Simple:

This means bread, pasta, rice as rice is a type of wheat. Simply doing this will cut your weight in no time. It can take up to 6 weeks for wheat to pass through your gut and it just ferments as it goes.

This also means cutting down on pasties, sausage rolls and anything that has a 'wheat wrapper'.

Step 2 - not really needed if you do step 1

Cut down on carbs - simply eliminating potatoes from your diet will see you drop weight.

Step 3 - as above

Cut down on cheese and milk - again, you will see the pounds slip away if you stop eating them. Although you need to find another form of calcium

Step 4

Alcohol - enough said

Step 5

Do more aerobic exercise. Go for a long walk every day

Of course, most people ignore the above and keep stuffing themselves full of wheat, potatoes and cheese. Google marksdailyapple and have a read.

Christ that sounds boring. I'm all for eating whatever you want, but making sure you exercise enough. I fail miserable on the latter. :P

1. Keep a chart / graph on the wall and fill it in daily, same time every day.

2. Be very proud of losing the weight you lose each day.

3. Restrict yourself to X No of calories a day.

4. Read the ingredients and calories of everything you buy.

5. Eat mainly fresh fruit and veg.

6. Cut out everything that is fatty, I survived on soups mainly.

7. Look at the calories of your usual favorite meals, they might shock you.

8. Do exercise daily and keep doing it.

9. Shagging is exercise!

10. If your a female I could lose some weight with you!

Then if you really, really want to keep that weight off, buy a house you can't afford and wait until interest rates go up, that should do it and you'll go grey or bald as well. It worked for me!

Also doing excercise reguarly changes you psychologicaly. You just won't want that pastie if you've been at the gym for an hour because 1) you feel better and 2) you don't want to waste your time.

I was actually the opposite to you and wanted to gain weight (good quality weight). I went to the gym and ate good food with smaller portions but at more regular intervals (once every 2.5 hours). The gym changes your mindset and the healthy eating makes you feel better. The cravings for high-fat food, beer, caffeine actually only take a week or two to be eradicated particuarly if you follow this advice.

Go live in a forest, make yourself work (hunt) for food.

Ive figured out its people that make you gain weight. Im not a naturally hungry person, very rarely do i actually feel hungry, but ill eat when the people around me eat.

It's that simple really, eat healthy and exercise, by your eat less burgers comment, it would appear you really know the answer!

I was 107.5 k a month ago, i'm now 101, all I've done is eat chicken (no skin) and salad more, you can bulk eat the salad as it does you no harm and fills you up, however, don't add mayo or dressings :rolleyes:

Eat less crap, cut out snacks, I hardly drink beer or spirits , walk alot more briskly when walking the dog, that's my take on it anyway :blink:

My figures are virtually the same from 108 at the beginning of June to 102.5.A small (400 calorie) lunch and either chicken breast salad or scrambled free range eggs on wholemeal toast evening meal.I am 6'2" so I wasn't obese.I walk 4 miles every night and only drink wine at weekends.I lost it all in a month and despite eating and exercising the same I have not dropped any since the start of the month.I am told however that I will if I carry on with the "diet".It isn't really a diet just eating less and more exercise.The annoying thing is that the 5'6 55kg Mrs P eats all sorts of chocolatey stuff with impunity.

When did everyone start measuring their weight in Kgs :blink:

My figures are virtually the same from 108 at the beginning of June to 102.5.A small (400 calorie) lunch and either chicken breast salad or scrambled free range eggs on wholemeal toast evening meal.I am 6'2" so I wasn't obese.I walk 4 miles every night and only drink wine at weekends.I lost it all in a month and despite eating and exercising the same I have not dropped any since the start of the month.I am told however that I will if I carry on with the "diet".It isn't really a diet just eating less and more exercise.The annoying thing is that the 5'6 55kg Mrs P eats all sorts of chocolatey stuff with impunity.

If thats all your eating, say around 1000 calories (if that), your body has got into starvation mode thinking there is a famine. Thats why you arent losing any weight you are eating far too little.

P.S. Yes you were obese when you started, now you are just below being obese. 6'2 and 17 stone for those who work in old money :)

If you can, ditch the car/bus/train and cycle to work as you'll be exercising every day without having to find any extra time to do so! Did this 3 years ago and dropped 14 lbs very quickly. It changed my eating habits too - I found I had to have something to eat when I got to work otherwise my stomach growled very loudly, which was embarrassing. Now I have four or five small meals or healthy snacks throughout the day instead of two large ones. Don't be afraid to eat when you're genuinely hungry and stop when you start to feel full, no matter how much is on your plate.

Forward planning too. Work out healthy meals and snacks in advance, my favourite things to get me through are:

Bananas

Smoothies

Strawberries

Pot of cottage cheese

A couple of boiled eggs

Carrots/cucumber with a houmous dip

Small pot of sushi

Then fish/chicken in the evening with a salad or vegetables. I've cut back on wine consumption but still drink it because you've still got to be able to enjoy something.

PS, don't keep cakes, biscuits or crisps in the house.

When did everyone start measuring their weight in Kgs :blink:

If thats all your eating, say around 1000 calories (if that), your body has got into starvation mode thinking there is a famine. Thats why you arent losing any weight you are eating far too little.

P.S. Yes you were obese when you started, now you are just below being obese. 6'2 and 17 stone for those who work in old money :)

I know how you worked it out BMI index 30+ etc. But I am broad shouldered and reasonably muscular.As regards the 1000 calories I didn't say I have 4 large eggs and 3 slices of toast.I worked out my daily total at around 1600 calories.

I know how you worked it out BMI index 30+ etc. But I am broad shouldered and reasonably muscular.As regards the 1000 calories I didn't say I have 4 large eggs and 3 slices of toast.I worked out my daily total at around 1600 calories.

BMI works generally except for the very muscled like Arnie would be wrongly classed as obese by it.

http://www.maximuscle.com/toolsanddownload...calculator.html

This is quite good as it takes into account weight and waist measurement and then gives you a number of calories to aim for. If you are muscled 1600 is still very low, unless you want to lose that muscle.

When under eating, the body will eat your muscle away, rather than the fat. This is why diets fail. Each Lb of muscle burns 50 calories a day just doing nothing. If you diet and lose 10 Lbs of muscle, you have lost 500 calories of muscles that burn the calories off.

So you start to eat back to your old ways, you put on the weight you lost, but its fat you put on not muscle, and then some more, because your metabolism is lower. This is why 95% of diets fail, its not because people dont lose the weight, they lose it, then they put it back on and more than when they started.

I know one trainer who has skinny clients who wanted to gain weight, he recommended them to cut calories for a month, then go back to eating normally the next month. They thought he was crazy till they saw it worked!

I'm not overweight, but I easily could be.

Reduce food consumption and increase the amount of exercise you get.

If you are moderately overweight, eat too much and don't get much exercise, you should start to see a reduction quite quickly if you make the necessary changes.

If you are only slightly overweight that last little bit of weight is much more difficult to lose.

can you tell us more about this.

are you sure about the 6 weeks in your gut?

so if i ate nothing but bread, pasta, rice for 6 weeks i would probably be some 40kg (all of it in my gut) heavier?

doesn’t seem to add up.

BMI works generally except for the very muscled like Arnie would be wrongly classed as obese by it.

http://www.maximuscle.com/toolsanddownload...calculator.html

This is quite good as it takes into account weight and waist measurement and then gives you a number of calories to aim for. If you are muscled 1600 is still very low, unless you want to lose that muscle.

When under eating, the body will eat your muscle away, rather than the fat. This is why diets fail. Each Lb of muscle burns 50 calories a day just doing nothing. If you diet and lose 10 Lbs of muscle, you have lost 500 calories of muscles that burn the calories off.

So you start to eat back to your old ways, you put on the weight you lost, but its fat you put on not muscle, and then some more, because your metabolism is lower. This is why 95% of diets fail, its not because people dont lose the weight, they lose it, then they put it back on and more than when they started.

I know one trainer who has skinny clients who wanted to gain weight, he recommended them to cut calories for a month, then go back to eating normally the next month. They thought he was crazy till they saw it worked!

But logically there must be variations in BMI,it's not simply a matter of being Arnie or not Arnie.I am quite fit and could easily walk 20 miles if I needed to.If I look at others with a similar BMI they are quite a different shape,thinner limbs and often with a round shouldered posture.I doubt if many of them could walk any further than McDonalds.

I have always regarded 17stone (108kg) as a maximum all up weight.If I am at this weight I feel less fit and notice things like walking uphill,consequently I regard 100kg as a sensible target weight.I gave up the idea of being thin 30 years ago. And that is another point I am 57.Had I been this weight at 27 I would have been worried but I see a lot of youngsters who are bigger than me.

But logically there must be variations in BMI,it's not simply a matter of being Arnie or not Arnie.I am quite fit and could easily walk 20 miles if I needed to.If I look at others with a similar BMI they are quite a different shape,thinner limbs and often with a round shouldered posture.I doubt if many of them could walk any further than McDonalds.

I have always regarded 17stone (108kg) as a maximum all up weight.If I am at this weight I feel less fit and notice things like walking uphill,consequently I regard 100kg as a sensible target weight.I gave up the idea of being thin 30 years ago. And that is another point I am 57.Had I been this weight at 27 I would have been worried but I see a lot of youngsters who are bigger than me.

There are variations of course, hence the big ranges. For instance a BMI (19-25) for your height would equal a weight range of 148 Lbs - 195 Lbs. Which is over a 3 stone difference.

I dont think you're worried really, but if you were id suggest to you getting some of the scales that measure body fat or get a professional measurement somewhere.

Just remember most women think their ideal weight is actually less than what is healthy, and most men think their ideal is more than what is healthy lol

You need to eat a balanced diet nothing more.

I cut out ready meals at work and eating buns / chocolate at every dinner, piled on about 2st eating like. Started eating sandwiches with loads of lettuce / tomatoes on etc.... and having a apple and banana or other fruit for afters. Still eat nice fattening treats occasionally and my weight has been stable.

I also started to walk home from work every day, the weight soon came off and my weight has been stable ever since.

Have you also considered buying smaller plates? If you have large plates you will be tempted to full them up with food, smaller plates will prevent this.

can you tell us more about this.

are you sure about the 6 weeks in your gut?

so if i ate nothing but bread, pasta, rice for 6 weeks i would probably be some 40kg (all of it in my gut) heavier?

doesn’t seem to add up.

It can take up to 6 weeks - the dough basically ferments in your gut causing all sorts of bacteria problems. Candida being an increasing problem and basically down to wheat fermenting in the body.

Interestingly, as an experiment, I went from a wheat-free diet to eating 2 to 4 rolls of wheatgerm bread daily about 2 months ago. I did this for about 5-6 weeks and in that time my weight went up half a stone. Btw, in scientific tests when live bacteria are placed on white bread the bacteria, unlike on brown bread where they flourish, die.

Basically, wheats are fairly new in Human diet. We did not become the farmers up until about 10 to 12,000 years ago so the eating and digesting of wheat is very new to the body compared to the 2 million years of us being hunter gathers living on meat, fish, nuts and fruit. You cannot eat wheat raw - it is poisonous to the body - so it has to be effectively processed by grounding and milling which few hunter gathers had time to do that.

There is a big increase in the West in IBS - stop eating wheat and most people's IBS goes. Similarly, there are links to asthma and wheat with many people who work in bakerys suffering from what Doctors know as 'baker's asthma'.

It is the same with potatoes - although much newer as basically very few Humans ate potatoes until about 500 years ago.

Then there is milk which basically is designed to turn baby cows very quickly into adult cows. Despite the West having the highest consumption of milk we also have the highest levels of osteoporosis because most of us are lactose intolerant and basically do not aborb calcium from the milk. Modern milk is treated so much that there is very little goodness in it and, arguably, it does more harm than good - move over to goat's milk and gradually wean yourself off cow's milk... but make sure you get a good calcium supplement like osteocare fizz from vitabiotics.

Dig.

Get a spade and dig.

My belt has gone in 2 notches since christamas by working the garden.

Dig.

Get a spade and dig.

My belt has gone in 2 notches since christamas by working the garden.

Those must be heavy bodies you are carrying before burying, ;)

The below is a complete pile of regurgitated shit, typically spewed by charlatans like "doctor" Gillian Mckeith. Dont listen to a word of it.

It can take up to 6 weeks - the dough basically ferments in your gut causing all sorts of bacteria problems. Candida being an increasing problem and basically down to wheat fermenting in the body.

Interestingly, as an experiment, I went from a wheat-free diet to eating 2 to 4 rolls of wheatgerm bread daily about 2 months ago. I did this for about 5-6 weeks and in that time my weight went up half a stone. Btw, in scientific tests when live bacteria are placed on white bread the bacteria, unlike on brown bread where they flourish, die.

Basically, wheats are fairly new in Human diet. We did not become the farmers up until about 10 to 12,000 years ago so the eating and digesting of wheat is very new to the body compared to the 2 million years of us being hunter gathers living on meat, fish, nuts and fruit. You cannot eat wheat raw - it is poisonous to the body - so it has to be effectively processed by grounding and milling which few hunter gathers had time to do that.

There is a big increase in the West in IBS - stop eating wheat and most people's IBS goes. Similarly, there are links to asthma and wheat with many people who work in bakerys suffering from what Doctors know as 'baker's asthma'.

It is the same with potatoes - although much newer as basically very few Humans ate potatoes until about 500 years ago.

Then there is milk which basically is designed to turn baby cows very quickly into adult cows. Despite the West having the highest consumption of milk we also have the highest levels of osteoporosis because most of us are lactose intolerant and basically do not aborb calcium from the milk. Modern milk is treated so much that there is very little goodness in it and, arguably, it does more harm than good - move over to goat's milk and gradually wean yourself off cow's milk... but make sure you get a good calcium supplement like osteocare fizz from vitabiotics.