House Price Crash Forum

Work Until Your 75 Years Old

HOLA441
Guest absolutezero
The 'retirement age' is fairly arbitary. I think the life expectancy of average UK citizen is around 85, so currently average of 20 years retirement. But thats AVERAGE. I think the av. life expectancy of Glasgow manual workers is still mid 60's. Retirement at 75? hardly fair for those of us unlucky enough not to get back what we paid in.

Yes the retirement age will have to rise, demographics ensure that. But very hard on many.

Or we encourage the middle classes to breed. Note: Definitely not chavs....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Not sure I'll be safe to work until I'm that old. Would you want to be put to sleep by a 75-year old anaesthetist?

Often the need for an anaesthetist is at a time when there is an imminent requirement to be in a state of not caring about anything, least of all the age of the person putting one into that state!

p-o-p

HOLA443
Guest anorthosite
Would you want to be put to sleep by a 75-year old anaesthetist?

I worked with one in his 60s once. He was just back from working as a volunteer in Africa and had decided he wanted an easy life, and so became the senior anaesthetist at a major UK hospital, while working about 20 hours a week as a volunteer for a charity, doing work that wasn't exactly physical relaxing. If he's still working he'd be about that age, and I'd be happy to have him as my anaesthetist.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
That's similar to something I read. General Wellington noticed that officers died around shortly after their 65th birthday. He allowed them to retire at 65 so they had a few months to sort their affairs out before they died.

There's a similar statistic with police officers - although I can't remember the exact details - the majority of them don't last too long past retirement.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
I retired at sixty in 2003 as a partner in a successful company, since then I have been headhunted and offered many well paid jobs.

To get out of bed before 9am now is a sufferance for me so reluctantly I had to refuse their kind offers. :D

Started working to earn money when I was 10 years of age through the austerity of the 1950s, so now I require complete rest and peace of mind.

Goodnight all I need my sleep, a very busy week ahead cruising on my boat, mooring up at riverside pubs and relaxing with a pint of natural brewed beer, oh how that pint of mild, nectar, as it smoothly runs down my throat. B)

The African Queen generation.

p-o-p

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
These days people view retirement as an opportunity to siton their backsides for a few decades and do shitall work.

Err... these days even a 90 year old can do data input so theres no need to retire. Those that do willlive in poverty and those that work can afford not to eat cat food

I prefer to spend at least 6 months a year travelling rather than sit on my backside, and don't have any plans to live in poverty if I can help it.

Haven't bothered claiming on the Rock 'n' Roll after getting made redundant for the 4th time, just upped sticks and left instead. I might come back once a year to collect the State Pension if there still is one. ;)

HOLA4412
You support the capitalist system so I suggest you explain it's failures.

Erm -I suggested you had no basis, so you passive-agressively suggested I explain it instead. I can't because I don't see it.

You are either (1) a teenager (2) a psychiatric outpatient or (3) Fidel Castro

HOLA4413

True but consider........

If the average middleclass couple has 2 children at say from age 32 and

If the average 'chav' has 4 children from age 16 (probably 14!)

The average 'chavs' off spring are breeding before the m/c couple hace bred once.

Thus after 64 years the gene pool of a m/c couples = (2 parents, 2 children & 4 grandchildren)=8

whereas the 'chavs' gene pool is.....

I'm not gonna try the maths so you'll have to work this one out-

but simply: 2 parents, 4 children, 16 grand children 64 great grandchildren......... (rabbits spring to mind.)

Conclusion: 'chavs' are reproducing at twice the rate at twice the frequency! Thank heavens for Malthus!

HOLA4414

The average 'chavs' off spring are breeding before the m/c couple hace bred once.

Thus after 64 years the gene pool of a m/c couples = (2 parents, 2 children & 4 grandchildren)=8

but simply: 2 parents, 4 children, 16 grand children 64 great grandchildren......... (rabbits spring to mind.)

Conclusion: 'chavs' are reproducing at twice the rate at twice the frequency! Thank heavens for Malthus!

HOLA4415
Erm -I suggested you had no basis, so you passive-agressively suggested I explain it instead. I can't because I don't see it.

You are either (1) a teenager (2) a psychiatric outpatient or (3) Fidel Castro

Ignoring that you actually asked 'why' and not for evidence of 'if' I would think that the unemployment numbers and employment numbers alone should be all you need, we can't get all in work even with a huge boom so its not real likely we can do so in less bubbly times, the question why is irrelevent to the question you actually seem to want an answer to. I still cant answer why and really dont need to, as such i took your question as facetious sophistry and replied in kind.

Edited by HumanAction

HOLA4416
The unemployment numbers and employment numbers alone should be all you need, we can't get all in work even with a huge boom so its not real likely we can do so in less bubbly times

given room for churn, we had pretty full employment, even tho it waqs a silly credit boom and the govt pays people to do nothing.

, the question why is irrelevent to the situation. As such I took your question as facetious

the question why is entirely relevant as without a positive answer then you have no point

And tell me why the fuzzy wuzzies in Africa and Asia are getting into manufacturing and skilled jobs then, when not 50yrs ago they all used to live in huts, live off the land and die when the next drought came along, and there were a lot less of them to boot. Despite that the west maintained reasonable employment levels. Limited jobs pool, really? The oldies I knew who needed to work and had a work ethic got it - albeit at a lower level. Just that most didn't need it. We now have demand destruction following colapse of the credit bubble, but a stronger economy would ensue if you didn't ban people from working - it often helps, productivity is difficult without employees.

, I didn't realise you genuinely couldn't put 2+2 together.

Hi Fidel! I'm not in Cuba now so you can't torture me for my counter-revolutionary rhetoric. soz.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4417

don't worry about it tho - we all know posh birds like it from criminals

HOLA4418
Often the need for an anaesthetist is at a time when there is an imminent requirement to be in a state of not caring about anything, least of all the age of the person putting one into that state!

p-o-p

Yes but the idea is that this state is temporary and not permanent.

HOLA4419

One of the best ways I can see to do that is to allow one of those involved in the breeding to stay at home and raise the output of their breeding - which means house prices would have to re-adjust to reflect total household income being equal to the income of one.

So "oldies" you want high house prices to fund your pension or productive tax paying workers ? I reckon the latter is the easiest to sustain and most beneficial for society as a whole too. Unfortunately, with the latter, there is at least a 16 year lead time, better make a decision quick.

HOLA4420

The problem is minimum wage is too high causing job destruction, hence it's hard to find jobs if your over 50 and don't have decent sought after skills as any non-skilled jobs usually to go to the younger generation.

I can't believe all this nonsense about retirement, if people didn't spend all their money on having children, houses and going out they could afford to spend every other year travelling while they are still young which is certainly better than retirement.

The problem these days is that having children is considered a god given right, as is having a house and spending money on tat/ going out.

When it comes to benefits, the reason the bill is so high is because the benefits for people with children work out at like £30k/ year in terms of taxable income, it's not people on plain JSA that cause it to be so high.

I'd rather minimum wage was halved so that I could afford to employ people to do value creating services, but in order for that to happen fairly all those wasters claiming benefits for their children while sitting on their ass need to be cut down to size or it will be unfair on those working. Hence it couldn't happen, ever.

Considering the state of our economy I'm surprised things aren't much worse than they are at the moment, perhaps the housing bubble has been shielding a systematic economic failure.

As it is i won't be paying any tax to this government as long as I can help it, using legal methods of avoidance.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Christ almighty. :angry:

So in your world, you're born, you go to school, you work until you die?

Why shouldn't folk be able to sit on their backsides for a few decades doing shitall work, after having spent the previous 40+ years working for the man?

The world doesnt owe anyone a living.

HOLA4425
Yes but the idea is that this state is temporary and not permanent.

Don't be so hard on yourself. 60% is good enough for a first class pass in academic circles. I can't see why anything less than a 40% whoops rate should debar an anaesthetist from being considered first class in his or her field.

Your royal college should engage a good PR firm to manage public expectations.

p-o-p