House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Uk Housing Shortage Gets Worse Despite Falling Prices

UK housing shortage gets worse despite falling prices

Britain’s housing shortage is becoming more acute despite falling prices, according to the National Housing and Planning Advice Unit (NHPAU).

Responding to the report, David Bexon, Managing Director of SmartNewHomes.com, said: "The report from the NHPAU reaffirms the point that housing demand has categorically not fallen in conjunction with the house price decline in the UK.

"The need for new homes was out of sync with supply even before the credit crunch took hold, and the impact of the slow sales market has severely damaged output, putting home ownership further beyond the reach of many.

"While there are some very competitively-priced properties available in the new homes market, the prevailing lack of mortgage finance has prevented many first-time buyers from making their first purchase.

"House prices are showing strong signs of stabilising, and with housebuilders now having to contend with an imminent supply shortfall, there is a growing concern that housing will become less affordable.

"Developers are doing what they can to maintain a balanced supply of new homes, but property types with the most pressing demand such as affordable family houses, may once again be forced to make way for higher density schemes if greater efforts are not made from government and financial institutions, both to support production and boost sales to first-time buyers in the current market."

Why can't they just acknowledge that the nation is house poor, with people stuck inside houses they neither want nor can fairly afford, and the most certainly cannot sell it for a big loss. Who has that kind of money sitting around?

Uk Housing Shortage Gets Worse Despite Falling Prices

There's one thing that I've never understood about this so-called 'housing shortage'. If there is a genuine, and rising, lack of accommodation, then where do the growing number of unaccommodated people now live? If the claim is true, we should be seeing growing numbers of people sleeping on park benches, under railway arches, in their cars etc. etc. As far as I can see, this is not the case. Is anyone else on here aware of a growing level of overcrowding in dwellings? I certainly haven't seen it.

So, people are in accommodation. Whether it's their ideal accommodation is another matter. But, they are housed.

Which supports the fact that demand for housing is elastic - people make do with what they've got until they can improve their lot. Rented flat to terraced/link to semi to detached and on, and on... Then, when fully satisfied, people buy a second home as a holiday home or pied-a-terre. There will never be the 'right' number of dwellings.

Building companies, and others, seem to want more houses built but keep prices the same or, preferably, higher. Now, I'm no economist, but I'm sure someone told me once that if you increase supply but demand doesn't change then prices fall. :rolleyes: These people want to go against the proven laws of economics and common sense. The name 'Canute' comes to mind.

Is this not just saying that lots of people still want a house ?

I want a castle with hundreds of acres but I neither need nor can afford one.

Are they measuring wants or needs here ?

In decades past whole families (3+ generations) lived in a house together, there were pros and cons to that, from the perspective of society ... I'm sure from the perspective of the individual they probably all wanted their own house, but did they NEED it ? Could the nation as a whole AFFORD, particularly in the long term, for each of them to have their own home ? What was in the nation's best interest ? - humans are generally selfish and greedy, beyond the point where it is detrimental to others, given the opportunity.

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

Is this not just saying that lots of people still want a house ?

Are they measuring wants or needs here ?

In decades past whole families (3+ generations) lived in a house together, there were pros and cons to that, from the perspective of society ... I'm sure from the perspective of the individual they probably all wanted their own house, but did they NEED it ? Could the nation as a whole AFFORD, particularly in the long term, for each of them to have their own home ? What was in the nation's best interest ? - humans are generally selfish and greedy, beyond the point where it is detrimental to others, given the opportunity.

Flawed logic.

FTB's can't afford starter homes. They don't want "a castle with hundreds of acres" . That's the problem.

Hence why the average home needs to = circa £75k.

Lots of opinions. Where do the statistics come from?

they make them up.

from other peoples guesses.

and predictions.

smartnewhomes.com, yeah whatever.

What about the ever growing number of empty flats in my neighbourhood in West London? 12 at last count within just 4 streets. Thankfully, squatters have moved into one of the houses and put a giant plush tigger in the window.

These empties are both council and private.

Yeah, I question the accuracy of the assertions that there is a shortage of housing in the UK. But there must be a source of data to support the claim. I really would like to know where the data comes from.

Obviously the trend is extrapolated from factual information. In order to form an opinion on the assumptions used and their reliability or otherwise you would need to know where they were derived, wouldn't you?

I suppose the Ministry of Guessworks, as Keith Waterhouse (of Daily Mail fame) would say provides some data. Is this the only source?

The billions of east Europeans coming here every year must be adding to the problem. :P

Is the flood of Sylvanians that worries me.

found a box full of 30 the other day.

We

all

live

somewhere

therefore

there

are

enough

fooking

places

for

us

to

live

therefore

there

is

no

housing

shortage

The only possible shortage is as in "i would like more 5 bed pads in the region of 20k"

Flawed logic.

FTB's can't afford starter homes. They don't want "a castle with hundreds of acres" . That's the problem.

Hence why the average home needs to = circa £75k.

Indeed!

they make them up.

from other peoples guesses.

and predictions.

And then they become "common knowledge" or a "societal assumption" that is taken as a given - it is never questioned, ever. It is simply...true.

Ah ZanuLabour social engineering.

If people want something they cannot afford then they must be poor - which is unaceptable.

More taxpayers money must be thrown at this appaling inequality.

There is no shortage of housing, there are enough beds and roofs to go around for everyone......human nature as it is, most want more than what they have, there will always be a shortage of the ideal property to satisfy everyone. ;)

There is no shortage of housing, there are enough beds and roofs to go around for everyone......human nature as it is, most want more than what they have, there will always be a shortage of the ideal property to satisfy everyone. ;)

There is a shortage of spare bedrooms, we must build more

There has always been a shortage of quality housing in good areas.

House prices look expensive because most people are paid a pittance.

But relative to the amount of money in the system, first created by banks by offering credit and now backed up by the taxpayer and government with QE. Houses are probably fairly priced. Only a matter of time other asset classes catch up with the expected hyperinflation. Wages probably wont keep up. Which means a lower standard of living for most.

There has always been a shortage of quality housing in good areas.

House prices look expensive because most people are paid a pittance.

But relative to the amount of money in the system, first created by banks by offering credit and now backed up by the taxpayer and government with QE. Houses are probably fairly priced. Only a matter of time other asset classes catch up with the expected hyperinflation. Wages probably wont keep up. Which means a lower standard of living for most.

all that free bank credit and QE, its flowing freely into our pockets.

think again dude.

Now listen up fooking VI cvnts:

There

Is

No

Fooking

Housing

Shortage

Only

A

Shortage

Of

Homes

People

Can

Fooking

Afford

That feels better. Thanks for reading. :lol:

TFH

DEFINATELY

A

SHORTAGE

OF

HOUSES

WHERE

I

LIVE!!!

Jesus, i come from Aberdeen where typical decent houses cost £400,000....because there IS a shortage of houses...

There's one thing that I've never understood about this so-called 'housing shortage'. If there is a genuine, and rising, lack of accommodation, then where do the growing number of unaccommodated people now live? If the claim is true, we should be seeing growing numbers of people sleeping on park benches, under railway arches, in their cars etc. etc. As far as I can see, this is not the case. Is anyone else on here aware of a growing level of overcrowding in dwellings? I certainly haven't seen it.

So, people are in accommodation. Whether it's their ideal accommodation is another matter. But, they are housed.

Which supports the fact that demand for housing is elastic - people make do with what they've got until they can improve their lot. Rented flat to terraced/link to semi to detached and on, and on... Then, when fully satisfied, people buy a second home as a holiday home or pied-a-terre. There will never be the 'right' number of dwellings.

Building companies, and others, seem to want more houses built but keep prices the same or, preferably, higher. Now, I'm no economist, but I'm sure someone told me once that if you increase supply but demand doesn't change then prices fall. :rolleyes: These people want to go against the proven laws of economics and common sense. The name 'Canute' comes to mind.

"canute" is that Danish for c_nt?

Lots of opinions. Where do the statistics come from?

73.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.

DEFINATELY

A

SHORTAGE

OF

HOUSES

WHERE

I

LIVE!!!

Jesus, i come from Aberdeen where typical decent houses cost £400,000....because there IS a shortage of houses...

No no no you've got it wrong. The relationship you think there is with the price of houses is based on the true idea that if there was a surplus of houses, prices would come down, but it is not necessarily true in reverse that if prices are high there must be a shortage. It isn't the only reason for high house prices and the more logical reason is not a shortage of houses but an excess of money. Seeing as you're more likely to soon see huge reductions in money rather than a huge increase in houses this should be good news. So be happy ;)

Edited by athom