House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Citizens Income Of Sorts...

Guest BoomBoomCrash

...in Ireland. Their equivalent of JSA is 205 euros a week (£176) versus the top rate here which is £65. I was surprised at how much jobseekers in Ireland get, really surprised.

...in Ireland. Their equivalent of JSA is 205 euros a week (£176) versus the top rate here which is £65. I was surprised at how much jobseekers in Ireland get, really surprised.

You got any more info on that and how it works?

Shouldn't they be reigning in their spending as they're effectively bankrupt?

That sort of money is equivalent to what you would earn for working full time on the minimum wage in the UK, it doesn't sound right.

Guest skullingtonjoe
You got any more info on that and how it works?

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not possible to sign on in Ireland even if you are a UK national?

A bit of `start-up` investment required (rent a room in a shared house/flat), then after that just sign on here and then fly over to Ireland via cheap-crappy-airline and sign on there too. Enjoy a Guinness from time to time, all courtesy of the EU! Happy days! :lol:;)

Edited by skullingtonjoe

Land and home ownership is completely different in Ireland, and is the £176 the sole welfare payment or can you claim anything else?

If payment is conditional on not having a job then it is nothing like a Citizens Income. The whole point of a Citizens (or Basic) Income is that it is unconditional (other than requiring citizenship) and therefore doesn't incentivise not having a job.

£176 is way too high for a Citizen's Income in the UK. A sensible and affordable amount for the UK would be in the range £60-£80 a week (assuming Housing Benefit is retained for those who need it).

If payment is conditional on not having a job then it is nothing like a Citizens Income. The whole point of a Citizens (or Basic) Income is that it is unconditional (other than requiring citizenship) and therefore doesn't incentivise not having a job.

£176 is way too high for a Citizen's Income in the UK. A sensible and affordable amount for the UK would be in the range £60-£80 a week (assuming Housing Benefit is retained for those who need it).

Housing benefit would push that figure up to £175 or so anyway, at least with the prices in the southeast of England.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
There's a minimum residence requirement in there, I don't think just flying over is going to make you eligible :lol:

Its interesting that their version of JSA is more flexible as regards part-time work...

I brought it up as someone I know has done just that. Gobe there form the UK looking for work and is now claiming benefit.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidel...ges/habres.aspx

According to this, I couldn't go there and immediately claim.

There is a reciprocal arrangement with the UK (Common Travel Area).

Bearing in mind the presumption clause in Section 246 (see Part 4), and the reciprocal arrangements with the UK concerning the Common Travel Area (CTA), for the purpose of this factor periods of residence within the CTA immediately prior to moving to live in Ireland should be treated the same as periods of residence in Ireland. This arrangement applies only to UK citizens and EEA nationals who had retained their centre of interest within the Common Travel Area. Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area which also includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Guest Barebear

I know an Irish guy who is claiming there and livinf and working here. Couldn't believe it when he told me how much he was getting.

No wonder they're pi$$ed all the time !

There is a reciprocal arrangement with the UK (Common Travel Area).

Is it worth going there though? I thought they'd just lost a lot of jobs with Dell's closures for example...

I know an Irish guy who is claiming there and livinf and working here. Couldn't believe it when he told me how much he was getting.

No wonder they're pi$ed all the time !

The UK and Ireland's "reciprocal arrangements" may well extend beyond just paying benefits.

'Fraudsters flew in to claim dole payments' [July 2009]:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fr...ts-1801725.html

New figures obtained by the Irish Independent show thousands of foreign benefit claimants were investigated by the Department of Social and Family Affairs between October 2007 and February last year.

In a first trawl of suspected benefit fraudsters, 776 non-national cases were examined, of which 76 were found to be permanently living outside of the State.

Officials were so alarmed they ordered residency checks on a further 3,665 non-nationals, and found that 403 (11pc) of these were living outside the State and flying in once a month to collect their benefit.

The vast majority of the claimants were from Eastern European countries.

Is it worth going there though? I thought they'd just lost a lot of jobs with Dell's closures for example...

Not if you're looking for a job...

'Fraudsters flew in to claim dole payments':

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fr...ts-1801725.html

The Central Statistics Office confirmed almost 200,000 people lost their jobs last year.

Unemployment has soared to a 13-year-high, with a total of 413,500 signing on the dole.

This is a 92pc rise on last year, and more than two-and-a-half times the number of jobless compared to the same period in 2007.